Quiet exhaust fans for SC846E16-R1200B?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Road Hazard

Feb 5, 2018
I'm going to replace the stock fans in the mid-wall with some 0074L4's but can somebody recommend some "drop in replacements" for the 2 exhaust fans that aren't as noisy as the stock ones?

My i7 7700K is actively cooled and I'll be using a mix of 5900-7200RPM drives. My HBA has a small fan attached to it so I don't need to cool anything on the motherboard or anything attached to it.

Also, I'll be using a non-Supermicro board (Gigabyte Z170x-ud5.) It has 5, 4 pin headers and I think each header is good for up to 2Amps. Would using a y-splitter to power the dual exhaust fans be advisable?

Since I'm not using a SM board, I don't think I can use that ipmi tool so will PROBABLY plug the mid-wall fans straight into the backplane, and then I can plug the dual exhaust fans into their own connector. Or, is there a way to control the speed of these fans from Linux on non-SM boards?

Lastly, I'll be using 18 drives to start with and populating the other bays as budget allows. For so many drives, should I just stick with stock fans to move a ton of air to keep things cool?