Quiet blower fans for Netapp DS2246 disk shelf

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
Hello everyone!

I've got a Netapp DS2246 disk shelf that I'd like to quiet down. The only fans I can find are in the power supplies. Each power supply has two blower style fans that pull air from the controller module above and exhausts out the back. Anyone know of any quiet blower style fans that I could use?

Here is the inside of the power supply:

Here is one of the fans inside:

The connector is proprietary but probably compatible with a 4-pin fan:

Here's some reference photos of the disk shelf itself:

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
Hey gregsachs,
ya, 6A definitely sounds like a powerful fan. From that document it shows 53-57 dB which is probably a lot quieter then the stock fans.
I have both power supplies and IOMs installed for sure, otherwise it would be crazy loud! lol

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
I decided to buy one of these San Ace 97mm blower fans. These are 1.85 Amps vs 6.0 Amps in the NetApp shelf. So I'm assuming they will be less CFM but I'm running all SSD's in this shelf so cooling isn't as much of a concern. I'll update in about a week when the fan arrives.

San Ace B97 9BAM12P2G04 Blower - 97MM Blower

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Yours is newer than mine, ds2246 uses the older square xyratex power supply.
This one looks like same series, but the power rating is way different, 1.5A vs 6A.
http://www.delta-fan.com/Download/Spec/BFB1012HH-TP48.pdf
Other docs suggest the UH is a 6200 rpm fan, so must be high CFM. Are you running dual p/s and dual IOMs? It will be quieter with all modules in place.
I went back and looked at my 2246, and I was mistaken. Mine is laid out with two flat power supplies, not the larger square 2243 style units.

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
Well I got the fan today and it is a tiny bit quieter but not as quiet as I'm looking for.
As an experiment I plugged in a noctua low-noise adapter and it quieted down a lot more and is near silent now.

So now I'm wondering if I should just buy a bunch of low-noise adapters and connect them inline with the existing netapp shelf fans.
Any issues with using 6 Amp fans with these? Possibly burn out the adapter?

I'll pull one of the fans out of the netapp shelf and test how quiet it makes it.