1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QuickAssist Driver for FreeBSD is Here and pfSense Support Coming

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Rohit Kumar, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Rohit Kumar

Rohit Kumar Guest

MiniKnight likes this.
  2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

All I have to say on this one is finally. There was an "underground" driver in Q3/Q4 last year, but this is finally happening.

I do know the pfSense team is doing a lot with QAT.

On the networking side, this is one of the biggest homelab developments all year.

gigatexal likes this.
  3. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

4. mstone

mstone Active Member

This is going to be the biggest disappointment rather than the biggest development.

5. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Could well be as I understand now 3 different QAT 'versions' and each needs a different driver right ? (Sure I read that somewhere)

6. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

How so?

7. eva2000

eva2000 Active Member

@Patrick would love to use QAT openssl benchmarks on Intel Xeon scalable line vs AMD EPYC eventually :)

8. mstone

mstone Active Member

Because people seem to generally not understand the benefits and limitations of the technology and mistakenly expect that it will be a magic wand to deliver dramatic performance improvements which won't pan out in real life. I don't understand why Patrick has been such a cheerleader for the technology, instead of rigorously comparing it to non-QAT solutions for real-world workloads.

9. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

pfSense has the ability to do some of the things necessary for QAT to work well. For example, it can automate setup from driver through to VPN service definition. That is really important with QAT.

We did a lot of work with Coleto Creek that never got published with the new generation coming out. The use cases are a bit limited, and the setup sucks/ sucked. On the other hand, when it worked it was like get XYZ performance with QAT using a fraction of the core count. Often you can hit higher throughput using CPU cores, but then you are using the CPU cores solely for that task.

Not a magic wand, but far from meritless.

10. mstone

mstone Active Member

I agree it has uses, but the coverage this far hasn't done a good job of calling those out. The perception is that it's a widget that makes crypto faster, without much appreciation that not only can it be slower, it's useful mainly insofar as you value not adding cores. It has some possible application on the low power end (but not with Intel's retail pricing) but more so if you have to add crypto to a box that's maxed out with 50 or 100 high power cores where the cost of adding is really steep. For a small scale application where it's the difference between 2, 4, or 8 cores, it generally didn't make sense. (In most cases you'll get more use out of a couple of additional general purpose cores.) A lot of people bought into rangeley because they thought it would speed up their openvpn rooter, and most of those people will end up throwing that equipment out without ever having used the QAT. I hope the coverage of the new parts makes the use cases a lot more clear so people don't waste their time.

sth and eva2000 like this.