Questions on using a dual port nice with Hyper-V

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
So back when I had my server on ESXi, I bought a dual port Intel NIC (mainly because ESXi didn't play nice with the Realtek NIC onboard the motherboard). I remember vaguely setting up my 'virtual network' to use both of those ports. When I moved to Hyper-V about 2 years ago, I feel like I was able to accomplish the same thing, however, I had a nasty crash a few weeks ago, and I've had to go about resetting everything up. I've got all my VM's back up and running, but I'm a bit stumped on the getting the 'Virtual Switch' set up right.

I only have three VM's running:

1) A Win 7 machine I used for a few things that don't run right in Win10
2) A WHS2011 that has my RAID array and all my video files
3) A win 7 machine that does nothing but run PLEX

If it matters, my host machine is running Win10 Pro

Right now, I created an external switch and assigned one of the adapter from the Intel NIC card. I've added that to each one of the VMs.

How do I get the second adapter involved? I was going to just set up a second switch and add that to each VM, but that seemed like a bad idea. I feel like I did something the last time where they were bound together or something. Heck, I feel like I even made a post about it here, but I don't see it! Must have been somewhere else.

I googled and found something on creating a TEAM (Create a New NIC Team on a Host Computer or VM), but that doesn't ring a bell.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
Well, a bit more searching and it looks like if I did create a TEAM last time, well you can't do that in Powershell anymore on Win10! You can do it via updated Intel Drivers though, which I went ahead and did. Seems to be working good so far, but I guess I'll see!

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Multiple ways to do all this but with Server. Team the pair of NIC's with the Host, then pass it to the guests and use VLAN's on each guest or otherwise, pass each NIC port through to its own virtual switch and VLAN tag at the switch they physically connect to. Handy for lots of VM's that you want to move in and out of VLANs/Subnets without rebooting the guests.