Questions about Tp-link TL-SG3428X (24 port + 4 SFP+)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Razvan

Aug 4, 2015
Hi.

This one looks fairly new, has anyone worked with TL-SG3428X?

Are they able to work with SFP+ RJ45 transceivers (like fibermall, Wiitek or 10Gtek)? The documentation doesn't advertise this but for some switches it works unofficially.
If so, is there a branding preferred (cisco, hp, intel etc.)?

Given the close placement of the SFP+ cages and the extra bulk of the 10G gbics, do you think a regular 1G transceiver would fit near a 10G one? I'll need at least 2 10G and a 1G SM fiber.

Some switches do not allow mixing speeds on the uplink ports, could this be the case here too?

Thanks.

prdtabim

Jan 29, 2022
I have one TL-SG3428X at my homelab.
SFP+ RJ45 transceivers works ok at 10Gb/s but have problems in upload at 5 or 2.5Gb/s. The problem is mainly at the transceivers and the only that works 100% is based on Marvel Aquantia chipset.
I tried various Mellanox DAC and Avago/Finisar AOC cables and all works ok.
Never tried 1Gb/s GBIC in SFP+ port but the interface web sugests that the port can be configured to operate at 1Gb/s. The settings per port are individual so must support mixed configs. The placement and distance between the ports are ok but consider the heat gennerated by the gbics.

Razvan

Aug 4, 2015
That's good news, thank you.
The Aquantia ones are great but a bit difficult to source. I'll be on the lookout for a Supermicro one when the prices return to the two digit range.