Questions about the dell poweredge c6220 fans

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fyrebug

Jan 10, 2017
I know a lot of people here have the c6220 so this would be a good place to ask.

I'm considering purchasing one of these due to cost/performance ratio, but it needs to be quiet for sitting in an office and possibly later my home ( I know, but hear me out)
I'm not worried at all about the height and making this go from 2u to even 6u. this is purely cost/performance choice. ordering 4x dell t5600 units to canada would be way more in cost after shipping/duties, and still take up way more space than the c6220 ever will...

I'm just wondering if the machine will still run if the front fans are removed?
I'm trying to run down ways to tame it.
I'm considering water cooling for the lower 2 nodes, and then just some large noctua cpu coolers for the top nodes. does the ram etc still need good airflow?
if so, if I just put in 4 rather slow 60mm fans in their place (purely for ram etc), will I be riddled with issues trying to run it?
I'll just be running windows server to use this as render nodes for 3d animation (3ds max/vray)

alternatively, as height is not an issue, what if I 3d printed some fan funnels and swapped the 4 60mm front fans for 2x 120mm fans? I don't really understand cfm, if each fan is currently ( I think) ~130cfm, do the 2x 120mm fans need to be 260cfm each?
I don't care about the front drive bays. I only need 1 drive per node.

thank you

Fyrebug

Jan 10, 2017
I've looked into that but was unsure if the same cable setup for the c6100 is compatible with the c6220 and scanning the forum I couldn't find a confirmation.
the only thing I saw was people trying to do that with the c8220 and some blown boards... which didn't fill me with faith.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Fyrebug one other trick is that the C6220 uses 200V+ power supplies. You may need to look into power to run them in a home office.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looked into that, you can just use the 6100 110v psu's in them ok.
That is true, but you can also run them, under heavy loads, above 1400w on 208V with quad E5-2670 V1's. I had to make one node an E5-2620 node just to keep below PSU thresholds since our machines are often running heavy CPU loads.

If you get lower wattage PSUs on 120V you will have a much tighter power budget.

Fyrebug

Jan 10, 2017
hmmm, very interesting, I hadn't considered that. as it's 3d rendering it would be 100% cpu usage across the board whenever in use. easily for days at a time.
I was just going to run 2660's so maybe they'd be ok under that threshold.

do you know if the machine will run with the main fans taken out? I couldn't really find an answer other than that on the 6100 if the fans were replaced with a lower rpm, there would be errors and possibly halt boot until user confirmation.

but at the same time, if people run the c6100 nodes without the chassis, then it sounds like the fan speed complaints come from something within the chassis itself and not the nodes?

Donminoti

Apr 3, 2017
Hi,
I am beginner in server world !!!
I have just buy a C6220 4 nodes ( and waiting to receive the second one), i am using it for heavy CPU jobs (computation) , they are equipped with E5-2670's (2.6 Ghz), with 2 PSU, and it works well. However, they are very loud and noisy, and have to put them in small office. Is there any advice or solution to reduce fans loud, and without taking any risks of damaging components and loosing CPU performances !?

Thank you in advance

Simon Brown

May 13, 2017
I know a lot of people here have the c6220 so this would be a good place to ask.

I'm considering purchasing one of these due to cost/performance ratio, but it needs to be quiet for sitting in an office and possibly later my home ( I know, but hear me out)
I'm not worried at all about the height and making this go from 2u to even 6u. this is purely cost/performance choice. ordering 4x dell t5600 units to canada would be way more in cost after shipping/duties, and still take up way more space than the c6220 ever will...

I'm just wondering if the machine will still run if the front fans are removed?
I'm trying to run down ways to tame it.
I'm considering water cooling for the lower 2 nodes, and then just some large noctua cpu coolers for the top nodes. does the ram etc still need good airflow?
if so, if I just put in 4 rather slow 60mm fans in their place (purely for ram etc), will I be riddled with issues trying to run it?
I'll just be running windows server to use this as render nodes for 3d animation (3ds max/vray)

alternatively, as height is not an issue, what if I 3d printed some fan funnels and swapped the 4 60mm front fans for 2x 120mm fans? I don't really understand cfm, if each fan is currently ( I think) ~130cfm, do the 2x 120mm fans need to be 260cfm each?
I don't care about the front drive bays. I only need 1 drive per node.

thank you

Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the very same position and considering the same solution - replacing the noisy 60mm interior fans with larger exterior ones - possibly making some sort of ducting out the back to suck the air out. Would love to know more.

Donminoti

Apr 3, 2017
Hi,
Please i need some help. I have 2 x 4 nodes C6220 servers in small room. I want to buy an AC for cooling. therefore i need to know the air flow rate ( cfm) drained buy the 4 fans of one server at full load and temperature about 25°c(77°F).

I saw 120~150 cfm, but i don't know if it's one fan flow rate or the flow rate drawn by the full 4 fans , and if, it's a max that is never achieved in standard operation !?

Thank you in advance

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Hi,
Please i need some help. I have 2 x 4 nodes C6220 servers in small room. I want to buy an AC for cooling. therefore i need to know the air flow rate ( cfm) drained buy the 4 fans of one server at full load and temperature about 25°c(77°F).

I saw 120~150 cfm, but i don't know if it's one fan flow rate or the flow rate drawn by the full 4 fans , and if, it's a max that is never achieved in standard operation !?

Thank you in advance
Did you ever find a solution?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk