Question regarding home made SAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

av00va

Dec 10, 2015
I currently have an LSI 9261-8i controller. I'd like to purchase a SAN to compliment my setup.
I'm wondering if I can simply purchase the Powervault MD1000 and this cable . I'd essentially route the mini-sas from my controller to the SFF 8470 on the back of the Powervault MD1000. I'm hoping this would lead me to a cost effective sizable raid array.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
That would work but lemme just say this...your options are only limited by your imagination and time you intend to invest...if a pre rolled san is your thing go for it...if you have a knack for tinkering you can built an extremely powerful multi-use config that will have more ummmph and legs in the long run for likely less...more bang for buck/juice for squeeze taking the diy nas/san build IMHO using FreeNAS/OmniOS/Napp-it/ZoL/Rockstor, etc...those are a few of my go-to's

Not to mention a md1000 sucks pwr, is loud as all heck if memory serves me correct, and is limited to 3gbps/3TB HD's pretty sure, fairly old unit but to each his own :-D

2cents

~whitey

Reactions: cheezehead