Question on nodes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

memilanuk

Jan 31, 2021
Still very new to Proxmox, and getting going with using it for VMs on a 'souped-up' Dell OptiPlex 7060 Micro rather than on my laptop.

Came across a deal on a 7040, and figured I'd snag it, and maybe explore having multiple nodes and HA on a small scale.

How evenly matched in terms of specs do the nodes have to be for that sort of thing to function properly?

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Still very new to Proxmox, and getting going with using it for VMs on a 'souped-up' Dell OptiPlex 7060 Micro rather than on my laptop.

Came across a deal on a 7040, and figured I'd snag it, and maybe explore having multiple nodes and HA on a small scale.

How evenly matched in terms of specs do the nodes have to be for that sort of thing to function properly?
Best bet is to go with the same generation CPU's, I was able to tweak the Proxmox guests to live migrate from Intel to AMD, but it is not a bright idea, and it only worked consistently with Linux guests. For all CPU's from the same manufacturer, but different generations, depending on the guest OS, your mileage may vary., the same should apply. As a best practice, get CPU's of the same generation.