Question for Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 and EPYC 7003 users

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
Can some user of MZ72-HB0 motherboard verify that this motherboard is not disabling Virtual Interrupt Controller (ie. avic) feature of an EPYC 7003 CPU? Turns out that the Supermicro H12DSi-N6 which I am using now is disabling this feature ( https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...13-no-virtual-interrupt-controller-avic.35801 ) , so I'm going to have to switch motherboard to use avic. In case this is not obviuos, I am asking for the result of lscpu | grep avic

Thank you!

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
Wow, I never used this kind of BIOS explorer. Very impressive. Still, I need to know if some user of this particular motherboard and a CPU from the Milan family can see the avic feature listed in the CPU flags. My Supermicro is disabling it :(

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Is this something in the BIOS? I have 7002 CPUs on a SM H11DSi and I have avic in my flags. I know it’s a different board, but I would find it strange for this to be something SM is doing on H12 boards but not H11 boards.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is this something in the BIOS? I have 7002 CPUs on a SM H11DSi and I have avic in my flags. I know it’s a different board, but I would find it strange for this to be something SM is doing on H12 boards but not H11 boards.
EPYC 7003(Milan), not 7002(Rome)

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
My point still stands. Why would SM disable AVIC for Milan but not Rome? Seems arbitrary. Which might point to it being related to a setting and not something SM is doing across the board.
Yeah good question - I have no idea. I know (from https://www.amd.com/system/files/TechDocs/56683-PUB_1.04.pdf , page 40) that AVIC is disabled when SEV-SNP is enabled and there are some other potential issues related e.g. pages 52, 56, 58 , but this is an old CPU feature. It should work for more typical uses, not be outright disabled with no way to enable.

However, so far I have found no way to enable AVIC on my Supermicro H12DSi-N6 , and I played with more than few BIOS settings. So considering change of motherboard now ...

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
not milan but this is rome at least on the mz72 hb0

~$ lscpu | grep avic
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf rapl pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb cat_l3 cdp_l3 hw_pstate ssbd mba ibrs ibpb stibp vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 cqm rdt_a rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local clzero irperf xsaveerptr rdpru wbnoinvd arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif v_spec_ctrl umip rdpid overflow_recov succor smca sme sev sev_es

Reactions: Bronek

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
i also run vms on mine including a windows one and i still have some audio crackling now and then if thats what you are after fixing. its not super annoying but noticable. havnt found a fix for it even with a usb dac on a passthrough usb controller, but havnt been trying too hard to fix it. the vfio discord is a good place to help for that stuff.

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
To answer my own question, now that I have replaced the motherboard with MZ72-HB0 rev 3.0 - by default, avic feature is disabled on this motherboard as well. Given that it works on Rome, perhaps it's a CPU problem?

This is very curious, I am yet to find a motherboard which does not disable this feature. Perhaps Gigabyte support will comment on this, but it might take some time.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
This is very curious, I am yet to find a motherboard which does not disable this feature
AFAIK: in order to support/use the very new security funtions of AMD EPYC this function is disabled because it would be cause a vulnerability again.
this can not be enabled because it is not implemented in Milan. only apic emulation can be supported.

Last edited:

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
For the curious, Gigabyte support answered my question what's wrong with avic on this motherboard. Honestly, I do not quite understand the answer and have asked for clarification.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
We are talking about EFI BIOS of the motherboard, so that would be something that Gigabyte or AMI can provide me, right? Or should I just look in Custom UEFI/BIOS - Aptio & AMBIOS ?
looks to me they think you are a engineer with (NDA) capabilities. i don't think we can get any source of EFI.
if AMD says AVIC is bad i would recpect that. the new security functions make apic/aviv problematic and if they are there, only emulated.
you can not apply a firewall and open all windows/doors after that.
expecting you get AVIC enabled again but nothing changes, your issue remains ? what then ?