Question EPYC vs RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Hi Guys,

I need some advice.

Is it possible to use DDR4 2400 LRDIMM ECC memory (HMAA8GL7AMR4N-UH 64GB) module with Epyc GEN1-GEN2 CPU?

I read about gen1, it supports DDR4-2400, but I didnt found my ram module in supported memory list of manufacturer.

Thanks in advance!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
In general, LRDIMM is supported up to DDR4-2666 on Epyc Naples. Higher frequencies on Epyc Rome. Your memory modules should work, but of course, since they are not in the QVL, there is a slim chance that they won't work.
If you want first-hand confirmation from someone who used the exact same DIMMs with Epyc CPUs, you need disclose the mainboard you are using.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
Thank you!

But I'm curious, how do ThreadRipper 1950x/2950x support Unbuffered & non-ECC DIMMs while their chiplets/CCDs are same with Epyc 7001 models? By using different IMC? Or by configuring IMC with different AGESA settings?

And what about Zen 2 version of ThreadRipper and Epyc?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Supporting RDIMM with a CPU/IMC that can handle RDIMM is mainly up to the motherboard manufacturer. Since there are no Epyc motherboards targeted at consumers, why bother with UDIMM support? It does not add any value. You loose maximum capacity, and the higher frequency of some UDIMMs would be lost with those locked down Epyc CPUs.
Not sure if there is a way to find out, but support for RDIMM might just be removed from Threadripper CPUs.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
I fully agree that supporting UDIMM in Epyc is meaningless since no serious people would use UDIMM in Epyc.
What I was interested is, how does IMC or motherboards work with difference types of DIMMs, and whose responsibility is this? Any details on this aspect are highly appreciated.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
Have learned something about RDIMM and UDIMM these days.

Epyc IMC on the IOD should have the ability to recognize and operate RDIMM, UDIMM, and LRDIMM (unless AMD choose to not implement UDIMM support for IMC on Epyc IOD, compared to IMC on Ryzen/ThreadRipper IOD which support UDIMM).

However, the connecting electrical wires on the motherboard between IMC and DIMMs are different and not compatible between RDIMM, UDIMM, and LRDIMM, so if the motherboard manufacturer don't choose to "connect" the wires for UDIMM support, then the motherboard doesn't support UDIMM, either.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
That is what I meant when I wrote: "Supporting RDIMM with a CPU/IMC that can handle RDIMM is mainly up to the motherboard manufacturer."

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
At a hardware level, all Zen cpus probably support both kinds of ram (and ECC). I doubt they actually made a bunch of completely different IMC designs, even with the Zen 2 off-die concept. If anything, Zen 2 looks like they made one very symmetrical design intended to be split/combined to support N channels/dies as needed.

I suspect memory support is merely limited by firmware, and motherboard traces where applicable. The X399 and Epyc v1 are so close to being compatible, I think AMD could make it so if they wanted. Also TRX80 sounds like it might really just be repackaged Rome with new SKUs, time will tell. Signed firmware can keep the platforms apart in the market as much as they need to, but at a engineering level its smarter to share as much as possible.

As a previous example, X99 boards with certain Xeons could support either kind of ram with the same cpu. No mixing at the same time of course.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
That is what I meant when I wrote: "Supporting RDIMM with a CPU/IMC that can handle RDIMM is mainly up to the motherboard manufacturer."
Yeah. But if AMD intentionally not implement UDIMM support in IMC of Epyc IOD, then motherboard manufacturer can do nothing on adding UDIMM support even if he would like to. Unfortunately I cannot find any information/specification/datasheet on Epyc IMC/IOD so all I can do is guessing...

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
May I ask why you need to know this? In the end, there simply are no motherboards for Epyc CPUs that support UDIMM. So what will you do with the information that Epyc CPUs could theoretically handle UDIMM?

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
May I ask why you need to know this? In the end, there simply are no motherboards for Epyc CPUs that support UDIMM. So what will you do with the information that Epyc CPUs could theoretically handle UDIMM?
Well, just be curious, and would like to know more details about IMC and different DIMMs and how they work.

After the learning, I know UDIMM place more electrical load on IMC and can only support modest RAM size, while RDIMM place less load on IMC by buffering address in address bus so it supports more RAM and more DIMMs per channel then UDIMM, and LRDIMM place even less load on IMC by buffering data in data bus and supports even more RAM then RDIMM.

Personally I think this is much meaningful than just installing RDIMMs on Epyc motherboard like everyone does.