Question about vmfs in active/active?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I've got two hosts with local disks replicated synchronously using drbd (hypervisor is proxmox). It's working fine. I want to try this with vsphere5. I would be running the drbd storage appliances (ubuntu/zfs) and exporting the storage to vsphere via iSCSI. The idea is that each host would have it's local appliance as the primary iCSI target and the other host's as backup. My understanding is that vmfs should be able to work this way, since it is cluster capable, no? I have the vnic in the ubuntu guest as vmxnet3 and have confirmed that it's negotiating '10gb' speed. I created a datastore on the local target (I'm not yet using MPIO, since the other host is still running proxmox), and installed a debian guest on it. That guest is now running dbench and is clocking about 150MB/sec. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks...

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I thought about that too, but that doesn't work unless you have a gluster driver/filesystem for the host. e.g. you need to have both hosts see a single IP address for the NFS datastore, or esxi won't consider it 'the same storage'.