Question about ProxMox Container and ZFS Storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

voxmortis

Oct 3, 2016
**SOLVED**

Hello... I have a question regarding ProxMox, ZFS and and Ubuntu container. I'm new to proxmox and zfs in general.

The server:
2x Xeon 2670
128GB RAM
4x4TB Seagate drives in a RAIDZ (name = "mainpool" mounted /mnt/mainpool)
1x128GB SSD Running ProxMox and my VM's

I have an Ubuntu container mounting "mainpool (/mnt/mainpool)" to /mnt/shares. The Ubuntu container is running from the SSD, which has about 30+ GB available space.

The issue the ubuntu container only sees 36GB of storage space for the "mainpool" mountpoint (as opposed to 12TB). I have SAMBA and Plex running in this container with the drive mapped in my windows and mac machines.

I can't copy my library into my Samba mapped drive from my desktop because the container doesn't see the available zfs pool space.

How can I get the container to correctly see the available space in the ZFS pool?

plex@ubuntusmb:~$ df -h /mnt/shares
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/dm-0 37G 13G 22G 37% /mnt/shares

root@pve:~# zpool list
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
mainpool 14.5T 984K 14.5T - 0% 0% 1.00x ONLINE -
root@pve:~# zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
mainpool 523K 10.2T 140K /mainpool

Thanks!!

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Instead of deleting posts/content would you care to share your fix/resolution in case someone here runs into the same obscure issue or similar question/config? If it's a 'DOH/embarassing moment' it's very likely we can accommodate.

Reactions: psylenced

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
I think I had to manually create a mount point for this versus using the GUI.

voxmortis

Oct 3, 2016
Instead of deleting posts/content would you care to share your fix/resolution in case someone here runs into the same obscure issue or similar question/config? If it's a 'DOH/embarassing moment' it's very likely we can accommodate.
Oh, sure.. No problem.

It was a bit of a D'OH moment.

The zfs pool was mounted at /mainpool instead of /mnt/mainpool

I created the /mnt/mainpool directory because that's where I had plans to mount it, but didn't actually mount it there. Forgot to delete it.

Mapped the SMB share to the wrong path.

Noticed it here after writing the this post :D :

NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
mainpool 523K 10.2T 140K /mainpool

Reactions: Patrick