Question about potential motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
Hi,

First post here so bear with me, maybe some noob qestions. Chances likely.
I am looking for a MB for two E5 2650 Xeons. They are quite expenisive. Found something that might be interesting. I am thinking of putting the MB in A big tower workstation like case.

I found a new Motherboard TF3RV c600 typefor a dell precision t7600.
Is this a case specific MB just for this type of case or is it moddable to a case of my choice as long as the board fits.

Thing that bugs me is that it mentions that I need to assing a service tag. What is that?

Is this board any good for my custom unraid server workstation on wich I would like to install plex and two gaming VM's.

Can this board be used for this? Or should I look further? If more questions from my side, I ams more than willing to provide.

Hope to learn a lot here.

JP

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The board is proprietary. It won't be worth the effort trying to get it working outside of Dell's chassis. You're better off looking for something else. Plenty of Supermicro boards to be had around $300.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
The board is proprietary. It won't be worth the effort trying to get it working outside of Dell's chassis. You're better off looking for something else. Plenty of Supermicro boards to be had around $300.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Thought so, price was too good to be true. Do you have any suggestions towards a sm board (type)?

JP

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Thing that bugs me is that it mentions that I need to assing a service tag. What is that?
New-in-box motherboard spares from Dell come without the service tag number (chassis serial number) filled in. Some boards have region-specific options (for example, whether or not the TPM is enabled) and those systems usually have a big sticker with a single digit on the case lid, and the motherboard asks you to enter that number the first time it is powered on.

None of this matters, though, since Dell motherboards are specific to the Dell chassis they're in, except for things like pre-Dell Compellent systems which are Supermicro motherboards / cases.