Question about OwnCloud

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Can the server run on Windows or is it Linux only? Can't find the answer on the web. :(

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Of course it can run on Windows...just load up Hyper-V and run the server (and its Linux OS) in a VM ;)

Owncloud does not, AFAIK, have a native windows option.

Reactions: Fritz and Patrick

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
havent tested, but might run on wamp stack.
easy to setup in a linux vm though, just remember to get a ssl cert if you put it online

-Jannis

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well hell, back to square one. Loaded Ubuntu into a VM, installed gnome and that's the last I saw of Ubuntu. Started up with a black screen and nothing more. I hate when crap like that happens. O well, it's easy to create and destroy VM's.

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
Well hell, back to square one. Loaded Ubuntu into a VM, installed gnome and that's the last I saw of Ubuntu. Started up with a black screen and nothing more. I hate when crap like that happens. O well, it's easy to create and destroy VM's.
Can you ssh in and install xorg-xinit? That should fix the issue.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Why do you need gnome (or any other Gui) for an OwnCloud server? Just install Ubuntu server, select openssh-server and LAME as optional packages during the install, and then install OwnCloud from the command line.

Reactions: Patrick

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Why do you need gnome (or any other Gui) for an OwnCloud server? Just install Ubuntu server, select openssh-server and LAME as optional packages during the install, and then install OwnCloud from the command line.
Yea, good question. I don't like unity but for my purposes, it wouldn't matter. Just wasn't thinking when I stepped in it. Gonna give it another go after super. o_O

grogthegreat

Apr 21, 2016
I have owncloud running on a VPS with no desktop environment. Works great although you might want to check out Next Cloud. Seems the co-founder and a lot of core OwnCloud developers have bailed and created an OwnCloud fork. Worth comparing before installing.