Question about expanding single JBOD to dual JBOD (single 8088 to dual 8087?)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Currently I'm running this HBA going to this 2Ports Mini SAS SFF-8088 To 36Pin SFF-8087 PCBA Female Adapter card in a JBOD case which houses 8 SATA spinner disks. I'm looking to add a second identical JBOD case and connected it up to the same HBA. It looks like a single SFF-8088 cable going to each JBOD case would suffice in terms of bandwidth as I only have about 16Gbps in possible bandwidth coming off the 8 spinners (250MBps each = 2Gbps each).

I know I will need SAS2 expanders in each JBOD case. My question is, will something like these work to connect a single SFF-8088 cable to dual mini-SAS cables into a SAS2 expander? Or is each mini-SAS cable matched up with one of the SFF-8088 cables and thus i'd only be able to conect 4 of my 8 disks that way?

Or can I just use the same 2Ports Mini SAS SFF-8088 To 36Pin SFF-8087 PCBA Female Adapter card and connect that 2 the SAS2 expander?

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a SAS2 expander that presents two external 8088 ports that I can connected directly to two JBOD enclosures instead of needing expanders in each JBOD chassis.

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
from your second post:

I like your idea of moving to a 16 port card as it is probably the simplest solution and you already have your BOM to build your second JBOD assuming it is identical to the first. I'm a fan of your first JBOD, it was a very nice clean, straightforward, and elegant build. I like the approach of simply upgrading the HBA - your drives should sync up at 6Gbps and your case if it is the same as your first holds 8 drives. Fewer active components to cool and potentially break/troubleshoot.

from your first post:

The super micro external to internal is in essence the same as your 2 port SFF-8088 SFF-8087 female adapter except the 8087 cables are built-in. It is a 1:1 map as you guessed.

You could go the expander route and utilize the SFF-8088 - SFF-8087 female adapter with 2 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables to attach to an expander and if it is say the ubiquitous HP expander (3Gbps for SATA though) for example just NOT use the expander's built-in SFF-8088. You'd need a 1 slot mining adapter to power the HP expander and of course mount it in some fashion maybe to the motherboard tray aligned with a slot on the back. This is a full height card. You could look at the DELL expander - I'm still working on building mine out though and trying to manufacture/design a good board solution to hold the DELL expander.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Don't use the HP expander. Seriously, just don't use it!
The Dell expander with dual external ports might be a really good option for you too, but the simplest is absolutely the -16e HBA.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Don't use the HP expander. Seriously, just don't use it!
The Dell expander with dual external ports might be a really good option for you too, but the simplest is absolutely the -16e HBA.
What HP expander are you referring to?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...er-wiki.146/&usg=AOvVaw2jkDkTtYh2PMW0aefThxej
It is a bunch of internal ports and has a single sff-8088 port in PCI card format. Only runs sata drives at 1.5 or 3 gb/s, will not do 6gb/s. I found it too be flaky, but that may have been due to powering it via a mining pci slot, as it doesn't have any other way of getting power to it. Its primary positive is that it is very cheap, <$20 on the bay.
When I did my own JBOD, I started with the HP, and moved to an intel RES2V240 I believe is the part number. Worked much better, partially because it gets power via molex.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yea I didn't even know about that card and that post is so old it wouldn't have hit my radar. But thanks for the warning.