Question about E5 2697 v2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
I just upgraded my home server with a pair of these..so when I am running 100% on both CPUs on all cores, Like for say SETI-AT-HOME, the Intel data sheet says 3000 mHz on 6 or more cores.

They are only turbo'ing to 2900 on all cores - it does not seem to be throttling, running way way less than max temp and TDP..this is on an SM X9DRI-LN4+, windows server essentials 2016.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Probably "why not 3GHz on all cores?"
- power settings in BIOS
- Power settings in os

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
if you even get 2.95 that might be close enough.... intel is notorious for just rounding off upward...lol

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Well, when i turned performance settings on in bios, that fixed it.....however - the chips now IDLE at double the current draw and heat..they used to idle ar 12-13 watts now 25-30.....this seems nuts to me..why is it all or nothing..why can't the cpus go into "performance" mode when called to do a task and low power idle when not...to get low power idle i have to accept a permance hit when loaded...how the hell does that make sense.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
Well, when i turned performance settings on in bios, that fixed it.....however - the chips now IDLE at double the current draw and heat..they used to idle ar 12-13 watts now 25-30.....this seems nuts to me..why is it all or nothing..why can't the cpus go into "performance" mode when called to do a task and low power idle when not...to get low power idle i have to accept a permance hit when loaded...how the hell does that make sense.
Supermicro power settings make no sense at all, our x10 and x11 boards run hotter, faster and higher power idle at the efficiency setting then at the disabled setting. The high power setting basically takes 25% off the single core score and in geekbench and adds about 5% to the multi core score..

It took a couple of days of goofing around in the bios before we found a setting that made sense and a good tradeoff between power, performance and idle consumption.