Question about BUS speed SOC vs Socketed mobo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Reading about firewalls and whatnot I've stumble upon this blog: https://calomel.org/network_performance.html, where the author states that CPU clock speed is not as relevant as motherboard's bus speed.
And a question just crossed my mind: Will the connection between the PCIe lanes and the CPU through the Northbridge be faster than the same PCIe lanes and a SOC?
Like, will the data transfer of a network card in a X10SDV mobo be faster than the same card in a 1151v2 socketed mobo?

Thanks in advance.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
From my understanding the pins/contacts on a cpu are directly connected to the traces in a motherboard/pcb and then these traces are exposed as pcie, memory channels as ram slots etc.
I am not sure where a "speed" difference should come from.

Reactions: Ralph_IT

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
From my understanding the pins/contacts on a cpu are directly connected to the traces in a motherboard/pcb and then these traces are exposed as pcie, memory channels as ram slots etc.
I am not sure where a "speed" difference should come from.
I was confused about the SOC not having a "Northbridge" so called.
If I understood correctly, SOC mobos do not have a "Southbridge" and all is CPU linked. Then the "speed factor" would be the raw power of the CPU. Right?