QUES: **Quiet + Cheap** 10GbE switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
The Netgear XS708E is too loud to put in my office. Has anyone come across anything that is (i.) "workstation quiet", (ii.) < USD $1K and (iii.) can be configured with 4@10GbE ports?

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Yours is a relatively low power 10GbE switch - around 35 watts at idle. I'd expect it to be one of the quietest switches currently available.

As a comparison, my 24 port 10GbE switch idles at around 120 watts and is as loud as most servers.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
While take a few years for technology to improve on the power consumption with 10gb, everything I've used/been near is as loud/louder and generally much more expensive. You could try putting it into an enclosure to muffle the sound some.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
just take the heatsinks off and use water cooling!

There is usually a cpu and NPU, the only phy's that get hot are 10gbase-T - avoid 10gbase-T and you will be fine! use SFP+ for far less heat/noise.

4 10gbase-T take up more power then 20 sfp+ ports! easy!

You can always run the switch into another room or throw it in a fridge ;)

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
just take the heatsinks off and use water cooling!

There is usually a cpu and NPU, the only phy's that get hot are 10gbase-T - avoid 10gbase-T and you will be fine! use SFP+ for far less heat/noise.

4 10gbase-T take up more power then 20 sfp+ ports! easy!

You can always run the switch into another room or throw it in a fridge ;)

... or,
1.) just get rid of the existing enclosure and ship the XS708E carcass to Spotswood and have him build a quiet case for it. Kind of Mickey.
2.) be done with it and just build a quiet "dirt cheap" DIY 4-port IB + 4-port Ethernet Bridging Switch and solve all my networking problems. Yet another box to maintain.

No easy answers it would seem.

Last edited: