QUES: Direct HBA-to-HBA connection possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Question: can I directly connect (server chassis <-> disk chassis) two 8-port HBAs (i.e., not use an expander in the disk chassis)? I will only have 8 HDD in the disk chassis.

John Treble
Ottawa, Canada

Last edited:

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
You don't even need an expander nor a HBA. You can just cable from the server HBA to the external disk chassis.

dba on here made a STH main site series on all the possibilities with this.

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Biren78,

Yes I saw dba's guide. Very good BTW. I was just curious to know if direct HBA-to-HBA connections were possible. Any gotchas?

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
It's physically possible, of course, but you need software to make it work. That software would need to run on a CPU in the disk chassis to turn an HBA into a target instead of an initiator.

There was some work done in this called the Generic SCSI Target Subsystem for Linux. There are modules for LSI and Marvell HBAs, but they have languished in the alpha or beta phase for several years.

Question: can I directly connect (server chassis <-> disk chassis) two 8-port HBAs (i.e., not use an expander in the disk chassis)? I will only have 8 HDD in the disk chassis.

John Treble
Ottawa, Canada

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
It's physically possible, of course, but you need software to make it work. That software would need to run on a CPU in the disk chassis to turn an HBA into a target instead of an initiator.

There was some work done in this called the Generic SCSI Target Subsystem for Linux. There are modules for LSI and Marvell HBAs, but they have languished in the alpha or beta phase for several years.

Interesting. Thanks.

John Treble
Ottawa, Canada