Quantum DXI6500 12 bay $99 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
If you need a 12x3.5" JBOD, could do a bunch worse...It is only SAS1, but the sas2826 backplanes are readily available for $30 on ebay. Usually these are missing they trays, which is frustrating.
Absolutely no reason you couldn't strip the power board out and put a motherboard in, either.

QUANTUM DXi6500 SUPERMICRO CSE-826 12-BAY JBOD SAS STORAGE ARRAY CHASSIS JBPWR2 | eBay

(1) - QUANTUM DXI6500 SUPERMICRO CSE-826 12-BAY JBOD NAS HDD SAS STORAGE ARRAY DISK DRIVE BACKUP CHASSIS DXI650-C CSE-826
• (2) - ABLECOM PWS-801-1R 800W REDUNDANT SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY 672042002948
• (1) - SAS DUAL PORT EXTENDER CARD GT432E002LF
• (1) - SUPERMICRO JBPWR2 ARRAY ATX POWER CONTROL CARD
• (1) - SAS826EL1 BACKPLANE
• (1) - PAIR OF RACKMOUNT EARS
• (12) - HARD DRIVE CADDY
• (2) - POWER CORD

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Where can one find the SAS2 backplane for just $30? I didn't see any that low when I looked on eBay yesterday.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I got one for $30 back in August, but agree none now. I've actually got it for sale now, listed for $30 shipped conus. (couldn't easily get it into my ghetto jbod case, and got an intel expander instead)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Where can one find the SAS2 backplane for just $30? I didn't see any that low when I looked on eBay yesterday.
If you are ok with direct attached, SAS826A backplanes are still $30-$40.
Added bonus - they will handle SAS3 speeds though not officially listed.
Down side is that you will need 2 HBAs
Or (HBA + expander) or 1HBA + 4 SATA to SAS from Mobo to backplane to handle all 12 drives, assuming you are using one of the 8i HBA.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
If you are ok with direct attached, SAS826A backplanes are still $30-$40.
Down side is that you will need 2 HBAs
Or (HBA + expander) or 1HBA + 4 SATA to SAS from Mobo to backplane to handle all 12 drives, assuming you are using one of the 8i HBA.
I'd be using it as a JBOD on an existing whitebox NAS build. HP SAS expanders are cheap, so I could live with the DA backplane. Now I just need to hope that last DXi6500 is still for sale come Friday (payday). :)

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
They wont. That direct connect backplane uses three SFF-8087 connectors which only support up to 10gbps so SAS2/SATA3 is the max supported.

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Actually they do support large drives, but SAS1 backplanes have many other issues.
I'm not sure that is true, that a SAS-1 expander backplane will support >2TB HDDs? i don't have that kind of HW around to confirm, but I don't think so... perhaps a direct attached SAS-1 backplane with a SAS-2 controller.

Not the expander backplane, but the direct attached is $30:

Supermicro 2U Server SAS/SATA 12 Bay Backplane SAS826A | eBay

I'd be using it as a JBOD on an existing whitebox NAS build. HP SAS expanders are cheap, so I could live with the DA backplane. Now I just need to hope that last DXi6500 is still for sale come Friday (payday). :)
I would say go with the IBM 46M0997 expander rather; less issues with SATA drives.

They wont. That direct connect backplane uses three SFF-8087 connectors which only support up to 10gbps so SAS2/SATA3 is the max supported.
The SFF-8087 connector isn't a problem if you use the right cables to connect to whatever SAS3 controller you have. The HP240 (which is 12Gbps) has SFF-8087 connectors, but even if you have a SFF-8643, there are cables for that. And I've actually experimented with *both* of these configurations using HP H240, LSI 9300-8i, H330, and Adaptec 1000-8i. All of them worked at linking at 12Gbps speeds to the storage device through a Supermicro "A" backplane (direct attached via SFF-8087 ports). And performance was as expected with the configuration I had.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
So I ordered two, they arrived. I am kind of disappointed that one came with black ears and the other with silver. The black had the brand sticker removed from the ear, and someone made a half assed attempt at removing the SuperMicro brand sticker from the silver one. Otherwise seem to be in reasonable condition. Are replacement black ears available for them so I can have mine match? Having trouble finding a part number for them.

The SFF-8087 connector isn't a problem
My mistake it looks like you're right.

Last edited:

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
So I ordered two, they arrived. I am kind of disappointed that one came with black ears and the other with silver. The black had the brand sticker removed from the ear, and someone made a half assed attempt at removing the SuperMicro brand sticker from the silver one. Otherwise seem to be in reasonable condition. Are replacement black ears available for them so I can have mine match? Having trouble finding a part number for them.
The black ones are harder to come by, but you can get the silver ones. Contact Supermicro RMA department and they might be able to help you with part numbers. Also, if you visit their estore.supermicro.com, their online shopping support have been very helpful in helping locate parts.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
The black ones are harder to come by, but you can get the silver ones. Contact Supermicro RMA department and they might be able to help you with part numbers. Also, if you visit their estore.supermicro.com, their online shopping support have been very helpful in helping locate parts.
Yeah I guess that is my only option. Looking on ebay I can find silver ears for dual/quad node systems, and on other sites silver ones going for $100. I'm guessing new parts from SuperMicro wont be any cheaper. Anyways if anyone gets one with a set of black ears and wants to trade for silver set plus a small amount of money, let me know.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Yeah I guess that is my only option. Looking on ebay I can find silver ears for dual/quad node systems, and on other sites silver ones going for $100. I'm guessing new parts from SuperMicro wont be any cheaper. Anyways if anyone gets one with a set of black ears and wants to trade for silver set plus a small amount of money, let me know.
i would still contact Supermicro RMA and ask them for a price. more often than not, i've found them to be very reasonable on those smaller items.