Quanta T3048-LY2R upgrade option

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I got few Quanta T3048-LY2R for a project thinking that its OS is readily available in Quanta website which is correct

the issue is that I am not exactly sure what OS is running on those switches

Also it seems if I am upgrading from old version the license will be lost and i will be forced to use 2 month trial license avaiable with the package

Does anyone know what OS this has and how to use latest QNOS from Quanta website
when i do show version i get this
Code:
(Routing) #show version

Switch: 1

System Description............................. LY2R - 48 TENGIG, Four 40GbE  PORTS, 3.2.2.42, Linux 3.8.13-rt9-4143e257, U-Boot 2010.12 (Oct 14 2016 - 16:28:02) - ONIE 2015.05-v1.2
Machine Type................................... LY2R - 48 TENGIG, Four 40GbE  PORTS
Machine Model.................................. LY2R
FRU Number..................................... 1LY2BZZ001P
Maintenance Level.............................. A
Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00
Burned In MAC Address.......................... D8:C4:97:A6:F7:09
Software Version............................... 3.2.2.42
Operating System............................... Linux 3.8.13-rt9-4143e257
Network Processing Device...................... BCM56846_A1
CPLD version................................... 0x0
Board Revision................................. 0x0
Additional Packages............................ BGP-4
                                                QOS
                                                Multicast
                                                IPv6
                                                Routing
                                                Data Center
                                                OpEN API
                                                Prototype Open API

Thanks

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
OK just a quick update on my quest here

So these switches T3048-LY2R that you find on ebay are mostly ODM which means QCT does not support them at all
that mean when you get one of these you will be in same situation as getting T3048-LY2

For upgrading or even to install any OS on the switch there is almost zero available options
a. Sonic will not run on powerPC (this switch has p2020 cpu) so sonic is dead end
b. Cumulus is very expensive (2700$) so it is better to buy new switch with that amount
c. QNOS is available but after installing it the license will expire in 2 months then you will be stuck as the switch ports will shutdown
QCT does not sell the license for the product because it is ODM and EOL (i tried many times)

Now lets explore hacky solutions (running another OS on the same switch)
Thanks to @fohdeesha he told us that Dell 4810 run the same arch and same switching chip
Also another option seems to be of-dpa (which i am not sure what it is but it seems it is working on this switch)

I am currently trying to flash the S4810 FTOS into this device and the first issue I am facing is how to extact the firmware from the flash image https://downloads.dell.com/translatedpdf/force10/os9/S4810/FTOS-SE-9.14.1.9P4.bin

as this file include both the bootcode and the flash image and i need just the flash image out of it

then after that i will try to use U-Boot and flash the image directly (I dont think i need to flash boot code since both use Uboot)

If anyone has updates or hints please let me know :)

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
Update here

I managed to extract the kernel from FTOS file

and i am loading it in mem and trying to boot

it seems it start to boot then it hang here

Code:
=> bootm 20000000
WARNING: adjusting available memory to 30000000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 20000000 ...
   Image Name:   netbsd
   Image Type:   PowerPC NetBSD Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    7265524 Bytes = 6.9 MiB
   Load Address: 00100040
   Entry Point:  00100040
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
## Transferring control to NetBSD stage-2 loader (at address 00100040) ...
after the last line
Transferring control to NetBSD stage-2 loader (at address 00100040)

I dont see anything on the console

the switch seems up even the telnet port is not closed but i cant get any further so far

Still trying

My assumption is that when it extract the kernel it does not really write the data to the address 00100040
So when it give control the stage-2 loader there will be nothing there
BUT I tried to load the kernel to address 1000000 and when it try to extract the kernel i get override error (because the kernel after extract will override the compressed kernel at 1000000) so that means it do extract the contents

@fohdeesha maybe you can give some hints

Thanks

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I don't think that's the same switch as an S4810 - it looks like your T3048-LY2R is a BCM56846 (Trident+), while the S4810 is newer, a BCM56845 (Trident2). They both have the same management CPU (P2020), so best case you might get the BSD kernel from the Dell to boot on your Quanta, but it's not going to find the ASIC it's looking for and the switch will be useless

RedWalker

Dec 10, 2023
Hi.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I have 2 white boxes that look like Dell S4810s, but I've had no luck uncompromising the kernel to get it to upload. Variations end up failing with. No luck w/ Quanta either but these look like the Dells (the internal boards look identical)

Wrong image format for "source" command
=> bootm 20000000
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!