QUANTA SD1Q-1ULH 1U 12X3.5IN D-1541 DUAL PSU SERVER

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Feb 19, 2021
Reactions: BLinux

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
70w @ IDLE with 2 sticks of ram @BLinux that seems very high.

- Can you confirm that was not in OS, and it idles lower? (Or confirm correct)

- Were you able to update BIOS? Did it affect idle power?

- Did you check power without the 10Gig module?

Feb 19, 2021
Would I just need drives and RAM for this?
Yes the xeon-d are soldered on cpu packages. So yes add some ddr4 - probably 2400 or lower ecc memory and something to boot off at least.
Also on the power draw wondering how it reacts to only running one of the 2 power supplies. Possibly running at 35w?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bet this thing sounds like a tornado at 100 yards.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Lots of information about these servers on this thread.
Including how to update the BIOS, BMC, and SAS expander.
They are great systems if you are looking for dense storage and have deep enough racks for them (they are longer than standard rack depth).

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
They are great systems if you are looking for dense storage and have deep enough racks for them (they are longer than standard rack depth).
Thanks for the tip on the depth, that would have messed me up for my homelab setting!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The depth was another question, good to know

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I was hoping someone would make a guide on how to cut and fold this up to 2U. ( No, not kidding ).

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
Possible to add a quadro p400 or p1000? Would make an awesome Plex server for transcoding for sure if it could. Wouldn’t need the 10gbit mezz card if that can be replaced with a graphics card that can transcode h265 :)

juddle14

Oct 8, 2019
Howdy,

Just a heads up that we've sold most of the SD1Q-1ULH systems already that included the 3.5" internal trays. We are trying to find more, but for now the servers being sold will exclude internal trays. HDD just sit on the metal plating/chassis.

Also, we are running out of rail kits, if you do not need rails please include that in your offer comments/notes and we will accept/offer a $50 discount.

Many thanks!

Reactions: eduncan911 and mmo

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
Yes the xeon-d are soldered on cpu packages. So yes add some ddr4 - probably 2400 or lower ecc memory and something to boot off at least.
Also on the power draw wondering how it reacts to only running one of the 2 power supplies. Possibly running at 35w?
That's not how redundant power supplies work, it's splitting the load between active PSUs for service life/load distribution. Upon failure or removal of the second PSU the remaining functional unit steps up to cover the load. An active/standby redundancy scenario would be inadvisable; the only benefit that comes to mind would be load efficiency but this is why decent rack gear has platinum rated PSUs so the efficiency curve doesn't tank at nominal half load. Even if efficiency curve were relevant the down sides would be dominant since you'd be running one supply harder shortening its service life in relation to the standby, if it was a cold standby the transfer time would be too high to prevent the system from bouncing and the in rush charging the standby's capacitors would increase the chance of an immediate second failure.

Reactions: Fritz

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
That's my video BTW. If you use the link and coupon code in the video description, you can get it for $275 shipped!!
Appreciate the look at the system you provided.

I'm curious if the drive tray can be extended without removing the top cover. It seems awkward if the server must be drawn out on its rails to remove the cover and then draw the drive tray out further.

Reactions: juddle14

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I'm curious if the drive tray can be extended without removing the top cover. It seems awkward if the server must be drawn out on its rails to remove the cover and then draw the drive tray out further.
That's the function of the umbilical harness, allowing an operator to pull the tray out without removing the cover. If implemented properly the slots may even be hot swappable, too.