Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Are all of the problem units running 1x proc, or am I confusing things?

I'm guessing the BMC bases fan RPM (at least partly) on CPU die temp - which will obviously be NULL for a socket with a missing processor. Wonder if that is tripping anything up - I'm guessing these were never designed to run with a single processor, since the name of the game is power density - and the HBA/10GBit card are installed using the secondary proc's PCI-E lanes.

homestudio4k

Apr 28, 2016
My unit
BIOS Version:
Core Version: 4.6.4.1
Project Version: S2RQ3A21
Build Date: 3/13/2013

But mine always has jet noise after boot. Will install CentOS 7.3 to see.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Here's the video I put on Facebook - feel free to compare fan noise. at 3:00-ish I put the phone in the path of the fans.

As of this post youtube is still processing the HD versions.

Reactions: BackupProphet

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Are all of the problem units running 1x proc, or am I confusing things?

I'm guessing the BMC bases fan RPM (at least partly) on CPU die temp - which will obviously be NULL for a socket with a missing processor. Wonder if that is tripping anything up - I'm guessing these were never designed to run with a single processor, since the name of the game is power density - and the HBA/10GBit card are installed using the secondary proc's PCI-E lanes.
Confusing things, my 2nd E5-2670 arrived and I popped it in. Still has the same problem

Kris

Feb 6, 2016
Confusing things, my 2nd E5-2670 arrived and I popped it in. Still has the same problem
Nope, mine has 2x e5-2670 processors which with the original fans, idled at 6000rpm with the cpu at ~30C. With my replacement fans from a few posts ahead the fans idle at 3800rpm and cpu temps are ~40C. Definitely not related to not having both cpus. No fault codes from ipmi either.
For reference:
BMC Firmware Revision: 3.72
Firmware Build Time: Oct 24 2014 10:43:57 CST
BIOS Version: S2RQ3A27
Backplane F/W Version: 02.06(AMI)

Last edited:

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
So further testing, my Second unit came in and it experiences the same issue.
Tried unplugging fans, one by one, then all off, none of this affected the speed of the fans.. CPU temp is in the 30C's with fans on.

Plugged in 3x 80mm PWM fans that I had. They ramp up and down depending on CPU temp as expected, 4th fan (delta) still stays at 6000 rpm. Moved the delta around, same results.

There are some jumpers on the backplane/fan connection, but they're not labeled as to what they do. I have yet to find a motherboard manual that goes in depth on the jumpers of the motherboard or backplane.

I've gone through 3 firmware revisions of both Bios and BMC, all exhibit this. You can't use IPMITOOL or IPMICFG to reset the BMC, it gives a Code 1h error.

Fan speed issue is a known problem on some Supermicro boards, the fix is to reset the BMC, this does not work for us.

ASPEED makes the BMC. You can find some utilities here
Driver Downloads:ASPEED 信驊科技

The system test utility didn't really do much for me, the readme sucks. It's more for testing connectivity and video display.

At this point I'm just going to replace all the fans. No point wasting time on this.

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: BackupProphet

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
So I got it fixed... and then it broke again.

I unplugged all fans and ran the system with some crappy PWM fan I have, CPU gets to 70-80c.
Unplugged the power to the backplane, restart again.

Plug everything back in, including the Delta fans, boot up. Immediately the fans go into "Oh crap mode" and cool the system down, but here is the kicker....they start ramping down. After a few minutes the system is noticeably quieter. You can hear them rev down multiple times

Booted to dos, looked up IPMI info, sure enough ipmicfg SEL list shows errors
Cleared the SEL error log and rebooted..... and now fans are at max speed again and they wont rev down.....

Going to attempt to do this again without clearing the SEL log. Last thing I try. even at a revved down speed they're still too loud for my liking. So I went ahead and ordered 4x pwm fans

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
After a series of reboots - mine too is now loud. No updates took place.

Updated BMC but haven't seen a difference (it also crashed upon logging in - so I havent been in it yet).

When about to update the BIOS and Me firmware - it warned be that the BIOS file I got from Quanta doesn't match my "current system config" and that it'll wipe my activation key. It also says they dont recommend proceeding. Is this par for the course?

(Saw that these were 4A - used the latest 3A and it worked. Guessing it's a versioning thing. Forgive me if that was mentioned previously.)

[Edit] Saw the BMC firmware was the same way - versioning stopped between a board revision (v3 -> v7) did the most recent V3 and the interface is back.

Last edited:

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Like others - tried changing the thresholds via IPMI but the BMC isn't honoring it. Been looking for more details on the ASPEED AST2300 (which I see powers many systems, including supermicros) - and I was hoping to stumble on a fan profile - akin to the ones they've got on supermicro boards. Considering you cannot even set the upper thresholds for these fans - it looks to be intentionally gimped in firmware.

Just ordered some 80x80x38mm fans, 12V .9A - which are only rated to 6000rpm. Considering it's replacing these 4.9 amp beasts that are rated at 13,000RPM - it should quiet this thing up just peachy. I'll set the power profile to efficiency - since I'm certain I won't be taxing this thing.

homestudio4k

Apr 28, 2016
Noctua SSO Bearing Fan Retail Cooling NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM
i bought 4 of these. will see if they will work.
Update: I installed these fans. Now it is extremely quiet. I almost can not determine if it is on. However, I don't know if cpu temp is cold enough. Is there anywhere to see cpu temp in bios or bmc? Thanks.

homestudio4k

Apr 28, 2016
just did a quick installation of centos 6.8 and lm_sensors, cpu 60-65 celcius degrees idling, high 80, critical 90.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Update: I installed these fans. Now it is extremely quiet. I almost can not determine if it is on. However, I don't know if cpu temp is cold enough. Is there anywhere to see cpu temp in bios or bmc? Thanks.
You bought a fan that's nearly half the thickness (and as such - smaller blade surface area) - and only spin at 1800RPM - so your temps will suffer for it.

those idle temps are a little gnarly.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
To all using non server fans. Do keep in mind that you risk your system if you don't have adequate cooling. I wouldn't run slow, non-high static fans in a box like this with 12x drives. If you're using it as a virtualization host without much 3.5" storage then great, but add the drives and you're probably going to suffer unless you're in a cold room.

I ordered Supermicro 38mm depth fans for this. They should arrive by Friday and I will post an update on this.

In case you want to look them up. FAN-0127L4 commonly found in the SC846. Manufacturer model is Nidec Ultraflo V80E12BHA7-57
You can buy a 4 pack for $20 on ebay. These are still loud, but not as much and gives me a ton in power savings.

• Supermicro
    • 58 db
    • 7,000rpm
    • 83 cfm
    • 9 Watts
  • Delta Fan
    • 71.5 db
    • 13,300rpm
    • 134 cfm
    • 42 Watts

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
I too ordered that same supermicro fan - 6 for $34 shipped.

Worst case scenario I can throw these on a fan controller.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Anyone try freenas on it? Having trouble with the build in SAS controllers
I am running freenas inside of ESXi with the LSI controller passed through. I don't know about the intel c602 sas controller. The LSI controller in IT mode works great as expected.