Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
I am running freenas inside of ESXi with the LSI controller passed through. I don't know about the intel c602 sas controller. The LSI controller in IT mode works great as expected.
I had to add a Dell h310 HBA to see my drives main drives. But the two rear sata ports are not seen by FreeBSD 10.

Anyone get the rear 2.5" drives working in Windows/Esxi?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I had to add a Dell h310 HBA to see my drives main drives. But the two rear sata ports are not seen by FreeBSD 10.

Anyone get the rear 2.5" drives working in Windows/Esxi?
The 2.5 bays are seen by ESXi I tried RAID 1 but it still saw them as 2 separate drives.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Whatever controller is on the two bare 8087 connectors on the mobo is not seen correctly by FreeBSD, neither are the two SATA ports. Looks like it might be Patsburg controller according to dmesg. Oh well I'm not messing with it at the moment.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
The two SAS ports on the LSI mezzanine card should work in FreeBSD but that only gives you 8 of the 12 bays. Quick google says Intel c602 controller is not supported in FreeBSD. The Intel C602 controller powers both the SATA ports and the onboard SAS. Only the SAS port closest to the edge is functional (but not in FreeBSD). It appears functionality was optional for the others.

This kinda breaks it down. http://www.qct.io/index.php?route=account/download/download&order_download_id=28 plus some experimenting by me.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Got the new fans installed -- four V80E12BHA7-57 NIDEC fans. The cables were too short for two of the mounting points - so I used some of these dupont cables to extend the 4-wire, but just buy some 4-pin extension cables and you'll be prepared.

The original fans are 13,000 RPM rated -- 4.9 Amps. These new fans are 6000 RPM rated, .8 Amps. The new fans idle around 3000RPM, which is very comfortable. Upon first boot, they spin up to 6000 RPM (which is still quieter than the Delta fans were at that speed) and quickly ramp down to 3,000 RPM. Looks like it'll ramp down to 50% of whatever the max speed of the fan is - so buy accordingly.

Very quiet - very happy.

upload_2016-6-17_17-55-43.png

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
My Supermicro\Nidec Ultraflow fans arrived as well. The cables are too short, I only had 1x 4pin extender, so I cut the cables on the rest and soldered some extensions. Ghettoish but working well.

I noticed the same thing. Temps have not gone up much (will post tomorrow). Speed idles around 3000 RPM.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
My Supermicro\Nidec Ultraflow fans arrived as well. The cables are too short, I only had 1x 4pin extender, so I cut the cables on the rest and soldered some extensions. Ghettoish but working well.

I noticed the same thing. Temps have not gone up much (will post tomorrow). Speed idles around 3000 RPM.

Cool! My CPUs are idling at 55-60 degrees C at 3000 RPM. I'd call this a success.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Cool! My CPUs are idling at 55-60 degrees C at 3000 RPM. I'd call this a success.

CPU temp :
dev.cpu.15.temperature: 53.0C
dev.cpu.14.temperature: 53.0C
dev.cpu.13.temperature: 58.0C
dev.cpu.12.temperature: 58.0C
dev.cpu.11.temperature: 59.0C
dev.cpu.10.temperature: 60.0C
dev.cpu.9.temperature: 55.0C
dev.cpu.8.temperature: 55.0C
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 56.0C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 56.0C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 55.0C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 55.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 57.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 58.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 57.0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 57.0C

HDD temp :
da10
da9
da8 29C WDC
da7 28C HGST
da6 21C INTEL
da5 28C HGST
da4 28C HGST
da3 28C HGST
da2 28C WDC
da1 28C WDC
da0 28C WDC

Ditto but I'm only running three fans. Must have mis-wired the 4th it runs at max speed. Not going to mess more tonight. Temps are fluctuating from 37c to 60c depending on load.

Last edited:

chris_

Jun 18, 2016
Hi, I'm curious if one of you would run this setup with a kill-a-watt and post idle/load power consumption?

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
Hi, I'm curious if one of you would run this setup with a kill-a-watt and post idle/load power consumption?

I get idle ~135w with 2x E5-2670, 24 4gb dimms, 6 hd, and no 10g mezz.

~440w with "stress --cpu 32 --vm 1 --vm-bytes 96G --timeout 5m"

Reactions: chris_

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
I'm getting 135 watts idling as well, But I Am using a Connectx2 10gb adapter, 16GB FC adapter and only 1 cpu, 8x 3.5 Drives, 2x SSD, 4x 8GB.

Cpu's for this unit arrive mid week. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: chris_

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Ok more figures, got both CPU's and changed the config.

161 watt idling with the following

• 2x E5-2670.
  • 8x 8GB DDR3
  • 4x WD RED 3.5"
  • 4x HGST NAS 3.5"
  • 1x Intel S3500 80GB
  • 4x Intel S3700 200GB
  • 1x Dell/LSI H310
  • 1x ConnectX2 10GB Singleport 10GB
Going to be removing the connectx as the mezzanine slot is now active (Card runs hot too). I will probably be removing the Dell H310 as well. unless I need it for external SAS.

Haven't run stress tests. But with the lower RPM fans I'm seeing 39c - 68c temps across both CPU's depending on load. This is in Vegas and the server is running in my living room. Once I move it will be in a cooled closet.

I haven't done any stress tests. This beast is overkill for my needs (Freenas/VM Storage), and it certainly uses more power than my older build (2.5x more at idle). We'll see if i keep it for freenas or move to something else.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Anyone have issues with two onboard SATA ports? I have found that I can't seem to get SATA Port 0 to recognize either one of the enterprise SSDs I've put in. The SATA 1 port works fine - and swapping the sata wires to the rear trays has been inconclusive - leading me to think that it's a faulty SATA port on my mainboard.

I'm just trying to get both recognized in the BIOS - and work my way from there. RAID and AHCI modes both end up with only one bay recognizing the SSD.

Threw them into the front 3.5'' bays which are running to the intel controller and neither was recognized there.

I finally got my proper screws - so I'll try the LSI ports on the front for good measure. The SSDs behave completely normal on a test bench system.

[Edit] - Looks like some kind of fluke. put them in today without issue.

Last edited:

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Anyone have issues with two onboard SATA ports? I have found that I can't seem to get SATA Port 0 to recognize either one of the enterprise SSDs I've put in. The SATA 1 port works fine - and swapping the sata wires to the rear trays has been inconclusive - leading me to think that it's a faulty SATA port on my mainboard.

I'm just trying to get both recognized in the BIOS - and work my way from there. RAID and AHCI modes both end up with only one bay recognizing the SSD.

Threw them into the front 3.5'' bays which are running to the intel controller and neither was recognized there.

I finally got my proper screws - so I'll try the LSI ports on the front for good measure. The SSDs behave completely normal on a test bench system.

[Edit] - Looks like some kind of fluke. put them in today without issue.
When in doubt, I like to blame technology problems on the Amish.

Best part of doing this is they'll never know.

Sandbox

Jun 25, 2016
Got the new fans installed -- four V80E12BHA7-57 NIDEC fans. The cables were too short for two of the mounting points - so I used some of these dupont cables to extend the 4-wire, but just buy some 4-pin extension cables and you'll be prepared.

The original fans are 13,000 RPM rated -- 4.9 Amps. These new fans are 6000 RPM rated, .8 Amps. The new fans idle around 3000RPM, which is very comfortable. Upon first boot, they spin up to 6000 RPM (which is still quieter than the Delta fans were at that speed) and quickly ramp down to 3,000 RPM. Looks like it'll ramp down to 50% of whatever the max speed of the fan is - so buy accordingly.

Very quiet - very happy.

View attachment 2854

Sandbox

Jun 25, 2016
FYSA, I've been reading/re-reading these threads for days. I have received a few of these machines and in process of setting them up. I'm testing with 48GB RAM and 2x 2660 CPU (95W) Arctic Silver 5 paste.

Asking clarifying questions:

Did you make any bios or other SW or setting change to cause the "ramp down" behavior? I'm looking for how to implement this behavior with the existing setup. For example my cores are running at 34-39C at idle but the fans do not ramp down.

As a comparison my Dell C2100 with 12 drives boots at high fan speed but ramps down in 10-15 sec and runs all day at the lower speed and the cores stay less than 40C (apparently default configuration/settings). C2100 noise level is less than my Gateway Desktop tower... I'm trying to achieve the same (as C2100) "ramp down". I don't care if the fans "ramp up" when needed but pulling 4.9 amps for no reason is a waste (and annoyingly noisy).

BTW, is the 4.9 amp spec per fan? 20 amps?? If so, that is worse.

I admire your McGyver and I'm normally prone to go that route but I'd prefer "ramp up/down" functionality as guided by the internal thermal HW sensors. Do you think this is a SW bug or just half-ass engineering?

Thanks to anyone in advance for any additional guidance other than what's already in this post.

Sandbox

Jun 25, 2016
There's another thread with these. I returned mine for a number of reasons (plus damage from poor warehouse handling). BIOS is slow.... makes supermicro seem like insta-boot. Good luck setting the boot order or uefi boot reliably.

First gen motherboard, ipmi sucks, enjoy the root backdoor you can't change the password. No fan control (yes, I tried everything) extremely loud. Riser card does not support gpu's (it may, but quanta has a special part for it). Chassis is flexible.
. In a bad way. Made me concerned for damaging the motherboard. Doesn't hold a candle to any supermicro chassis.

Works great on esxi 6. 10gb, you will need Intel sfp's. I was able to flash the lsi to it mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sandbox

Jun 25, 2016
Requesting some help. Where did you discover the root backdoor? Specifically, is that in the bios or exactly where is it?

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Requesting some help. Where did you discover the root backdoor? Specifically, is that in the bios or exactly where is it?
Fans are rated at 4.9A each. They are getting throttled to 50% fanspeed - the problem is that under some conditions they'll go lower, but often times are pegged at 50%

Replacing the fans doesn't change this behavior, but it does seem to behave better with a slower fan like the one we've been using.

The root backdoor he's describing is probably the IPMI/SSH user for the BMC