Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
I've tried Proxmox 4.2 (Debian), and Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04. Downloading Windows Server 2016 eval to try that.

Mine arrived today - given that my E5-2670 V1's haven't arrived yet, I won't be able to contribute to the conversation much.

Regarding the fanspeed issue - if it's anything like the Dell C1100's - it's equal parts BIOS and host OS. Off the shelf ESXi on the C1100 resulted in the fans spontaneously jumping to maximum RPMs for a short period and slowly throttling down. Made for a very jarring and disruptive environment.

What host OS are you running where you experience such high fan noise?

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Ok got it working, it accepted some dell branded 8GB ECC ram in slot C0 (closest to the sidewall)

Running memtest now. Hopefully my second unit/additional CPU's arrive later this week. These will run ESXi 6, but I'm highly considering buying a 3rd unit just for freenas...

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Got firmware updated along with BMC.

After the flash admin/admin worked for BMC. It's actually pretty nice other than the JAVA issue. I like it more than Supermicros IPMI web

BMC01.png BMC02.png

Reactions: Crazy Goat

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
Windows server did not fix the noise problems for me.

Edit: While I'm complaining, I'll add another. The dedicated maintenance port on mine doesn't seem to work. I had to set it to shared in the bios and use eth0.

Last edited:

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Has anyone found a fix for the fan speed yet? Mine idles at 6000 rpm and 30°C cpus. It's terrible.

It seems like there should be a way to change it using IPMI raw commands.
God I hope so. Running ESXi they're still at max speed.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Any of ya'll try ipmicfg with command "ipmicfg.exe -fan"? If the IPMI can pull any of the fan profiles back, if it has them, you might be able to set it using "ipmicfg.exe -fan <0, 1, or 2>" without the less/greater than symbols.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Windows server did not fix the noise problems for me.

Edit: While I'm complaining, I'll add another. The dedicated maintenance port on mine doesn't seem to work. I had to set it to shared in the bios and use eth0.
RIP

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
I get "Failed to get fan speed mode, Completion Code=C1h"

Any of ya'll try ipmicfg with command "ipmicfg.exe -fan"? If the IPMI can pull any of the fan profiles back, if it has them, you might be able to set it using "ipmicfg.exe -fan <0, 1, or 2>" without the less/greater than symbols.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I would see what happens if you open the chassis cover and unplug all the fans(1 by 1 but until they're all unplugged) and plug them back in.

Kris

Feb 6, 2016
I went as far as editing the bios to see if any of the thermal options did anything(they didn't) to see if there was any way to lower the fan speed. There may be a ipmi raw command which could change it, but nothing is documented from what I could find. What I ended up doing is buying new fans, particularly Dell C6100 replacements, Delta PFC0812DE from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAKOMGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These fans idle around 3800 rpm and keep the cpus ~40C at idle. Still not silent, but much better and pretty decent for a 2U case, compared to the rest of my rack. The only thing which was necessary is to swap out the 5 pin connector for a 4 pin pwm fan connector.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
So I've tried freebsd ipmitool, FreeDOS with various IPMICFG.exe

You can't reset the BMC with it, and you cant change fan speeds. Other commands work.

ipmicfg -sdr listed some items as having errors, the fans.... items 10 11 12 and 13
so I did ipmicfg -sdr del 10
Now sdr doesn't list it at all... fans still are in turbo mode.

About to try ipmi within esxi, but I doubt it will work. I'm more than likely going to have to pickup fans.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
esxi based ipmi tool didn't work either.

I do get more information. But nothing really means much to me

vmfs/volumes/22c71ebb-f923b180/VM] /opt/ipmitool/bin/ipmitool dcmi discover
Supported DCMI capabilities:
Mandatory platform capabilties
Identification support available
SEL logging available
Chassis power available
Temperature monitor available
Optional platform capabilties
Power management available
Managebility access capabilties
In-band KCS channel available
Out-of-band primary LAN channel available
SOL enabled
VLAN capable
Mandatory platform attributes:
SEL Attributes:
SEL automatic rollover is not present
909 SEL entries
Identification Attributes:
GUID
DHCP hostname
Asset tag
Temperature Monitoring Attributes:
inlet
cpu
baseboard
Optional Platform Attributes:
Power Management:
Slave address of device: 20h (8bits)(Satellite/External controller)
Channel number is 0h (Primary BMC)
Device revision is 0
Manageability Access Attributes:
Primary LAN channel number: 1 is available
Secondary LAN channel is not available for OOB
No serial channel is available

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Also anyone manage to get the 10GBe adapter working in ESXi6? I've loaded some vibs and they still don't show up. Rear adapters are also showing as 100mbit.

Does the mezz card not work unless I have both CPU's in?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Also anyone manage to get the 10GBe adapter working in ESXi6? I've loaded some vibs and they still don't show up. Rear adapters are also showing as 100mbit.

Does the mezz card not work unless I have both CPU's in?
Don't know about requiring the second CPU I put 2 in immediately. But both my 10Gbe function with both an optic and a DAC, both 1Gbe reported 1Gbps and management port worked fine. However I also don't have an issue with fans. It might think it is in a failure state missing a CPU and fans go to max speed because of that. Remember that these things were built with a certain config in mind. It may have never crossed their mind that it might be run in a single CPU config and weird things may happen because of that.

Kris

Feb 6, 2016
The second cpu is required for the 10gb card and the sas card to work as they utilize the pci express lanes from the second cpu.
I don't believe that the second cpu missing affects the fan speed as mine did not differ, nor were there any fault codes with the end cpu missing.

StammesOpfer just for curiosity, what are your fan rpm at idle?

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Got my 2670s installed - but was unpleasantly surprised to see that they stuck a crusty heatsink against the exposed socket. I had to fish pieces of dry thermal paste from my secondary processor socket.

The server posts and I have perused the BIOS. My fans idle at a comfortable level in and out of the BIOS - hard to say if I'll have issues once an OS is installed.

Kris

Feb 6, 2016
For those who have quieter unit, can you please post the bios and bmc versions and the rpm of the fans at idle? I believe the bmc controls the fan speed and it may have been updated at some point since there seems to be a disparity in fan speeds between units.

Reactions: homestudio4k

homestudio4k

Apr 28, 2016
crazy goat and stam: could you please post screens on bios versions? i seriously suspect your machines' bios has been updated in some ways by previous users.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
crazy goat and stam: could you please post screens on bios versions? i seriously suspect your machines' bios has been updated in some ways by previous users.
BIOS Version:
Core Version: 4.6.4.1
Project Version: S2RQ3A21
Build Date: 3/13/2013

I did a video on facebook, playing around in the bios and grabbed these off the video - I can check other parameters once I get home.

First powerup involved hearing the jet engine fan speed - but subsequent boots haven't had that (even from complete power removal). It starts high-ish, and throttles down to a medium-low RPM in the bios.

Last edited:

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
BIOS Version:
Core Version: 4.6.4.1
Project Version: S2RQ3A21
Build Date: 3/14/2013

I did a video on facebook, playing around in the bios and grabbed these off the video - I can check other parameters once I get home.

First powerup involved hearing the jet engine fan speed - but subsequent boots haven't had that (even from complete power removal). It starts high-ish, and throttles down to a medium-low RPM in the bios.

lucky...