Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
This model is still listed on quantas website so bios and bmc is there readme's have instructions I used a usb Freedos stick for BMC.

For the rails the chassis/inner rails looks exactly like the c2100 and width measurements match so I ordered some Dell C2100 outer rails. They will be here middle of next week so I can report for sure then but I am fairly confident.

Oh and if you don't have something directly above this try covering the vent holes on the lid. A ton of fan noise comes from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyC

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Any news on backplane yet? How many connectors? Are there 2 with an expander to handle all 12 from one RAID controller?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Any news on backplane yet? How many connectors? Are there 2 with an expander to handle all 12 from one RAID controller?
I posted a few posts back

"The Backplane is 1to1 (8bays connected to the LSI2008, 4 to the Intel C602) plus 2 sata ports for the 2.5" bays."

It uses 3x 8087 break out cables.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I'm actually curious if the drive LEDs on the front of the chassis are all lit when there's a drive installed or if they only blink on activity.

Reactions: RandyC

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I posted a few posts back

"The Backplane is 1to1 (8bays connected to the LSI2008, 4 to the Intel C602) plus 2 sata ports for the 2.5" bays."

It uses 3x 8087 break out cables.

Is there anything else you would like to know?
Missed the 8087 part. Thanks!

Kris

Feb 6, 2016
I'm actually curious if the drive LEDs on the front of the chassis are all lit when there's a drive installed or if they only blink on activity.
There are two separate LEDs per drive sled. The top illuminates when a drive is populated and the lower LED illuminates on activity.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
One other thing I was wondering, can you really not reset IPMI password in bios or web UI? I wonder if you could use ipmicfg or something to do it as well.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
In for 2

Denied $265, but auto accepted $270. The guy obviously wants $300 per shipped.

Wont be able to do anything with it for awhile as I'm in the process of house hunting/moving. Don't let the wife know I bought this...

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
The trays with the blue squares do line up with the LEDs right?
blue squares (quanta included) and red circles (C2100) are identical. They line up fine.

One other thing I was wondering, can you really not reset IPMI password in bios or web UI? I wonder if you could use ipmicfg or something to do it as well.
IPMI password can be reset by reflashing the BCM

Last edited:

homestudio4k

Apr 28, 2016
got one at $270 plus shipping.
just connected two power cable at 110v.
then push the front small buttons, push the lowest one once, blue light flicked. push the highest one once, the fans are in angry bee mode, very noisy.

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Fans quieted down for me once everything got past post and OS started to boot. Make sure nothing is hanging and it should spin down.

homestudio4k

Apr 28, 2016
thanks, stam. maybe because i have not installed os. on the other hand, my quanta open frame is very quiet with two nodes on even without os installed yet. like it.

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
blue squares (quanta included) and red circles (C2100) are identical. They line up fine.

IPMI password can be reset by reflashing the BCM
I already sent mine back, but I'm positive SSH access to the IPMI using the root account cannot be changed or disabled.

Test using: root/superuser
or: anonymous/anonymous

Last edited:

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
got one at $270 plus shipping.
just connected two power cable at 110v.
then push the front small buttons, push the lowest one once, blue light flicked. push the highest one once, the fans are in angry bee mode, very noisy.
That is exactly what mine did. Even after POST and full boot (windows, esxi, or linux) the fans were always loud (iirc 5000rpm).

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I already sent mine back, but I'm positive SSH access to the IPMI using the root account cannot be changed or disabled.

Test using: root/superuser
or: anonymous/anonymous
Haven't messed with this. This is my homelab and I keep my Management on a separate vlan. Not too worried about these password. I was speaking more about being able to reset to default by flashing BMC.

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
Has anyone found a fix for the fan speed yet? Mine idles at 6000 rpm and 30°C cpus. It's terrible.

It seems like there should be a way to change it using IPMI raw commands.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
So got one of my systems and one of the CPUs I ordered, thanks fedex.

It wont post.....

In CPU0 the front panel doesn't light up, tried moving memory into different slots, along with different brands of memory, nothing.

If I move some debug jumper a loud alarm sounds and fans ramp up to max speed, but still no post even after 20 minutes.

If I use the CPU in CPU1 front panel does light up, but still won't post. haven't tried moving the debug jumper again while in CPU1.

digging around for some more memory, and praying

Last edited:

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Mine arrived today - given that my E5-2670 V1's haven't arrived yet, I won't be able to contribute to the conversation much.

Regarding the fanspeed issue - if it's anything like the Dell C1100's - it's equal parts BIOS and host OS. Off the shelf ESXi on the C1100 resulted in the fans spontaneously jumping to maximum RPMs for a short period and slowly throttling down. Made for a very jarring and disruptive environment.

What host OS are you running where you experience such high fan noise?