Quanta QuantaGrid D52B-1U - Skylake, 25GbE NIC, Rails - $324.99 + SH

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nate Carlson

Aug 27, 2019
yup they are.. the lack of bios/bmc updates make these a bit of a not great for production hosts
Is the BMC/BIOS link I posted above from 2019 the most recent? Any critical features missing, or just be good to have newer for security updates?

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Do you know if processor heatsink is included? I sent a message but didn't hear back.

And anyone used these with QS CPUs?
I know this doesnt exactly answer your question, but the D51B-1U and 2U models worked with QS CPU's, so don't see why these wouldn't, since they're just a newer generation...but don't quote me on that. Just providing my 2 apples.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
So the last time I bought Quanta D51B-2Us they came with an older BIOS that didn't support V4 CPUs.

I tried updating with the packages on the official Quanta website and the update wouldn't go through. Looked everywhere for other packages and nothing worked. 4 months later I still have 3 unusable bricks sitting around.

My suggestion, stay away from less popular brands if you're not a business that can afford to pay someone else to figure out stuff for you. There's no community forums like Dell. Pay a bit more for stuff like Dell/SM to save yourself headaches.
There was a package on QCT's website specifically for V4 cpus. Not sure what your problem is, but after you apply it, V4's worked in the D51-1/2U's.... I know because i had both models and got V4's to work.

campbb

May 11, 2021
I had a heck of a time getting into the IPMI (Turns out resetting the BIOS or pulling the CMOS does NOT reset the BMC credentials, go figure)

When I got the system from TAMS, the primary account was set to "Root" with an unknown password. I had to install a Linux OS (In my case, I used Debian 10) and used ipmitool to reset the credentials.
Hey there, I also picked up 4 of these servers (QuantaGrid D52B-1U) from TAMS. So far they are great machines but I am running into the same issue getting into the IPMI / BMC management. Would you mind sharing the details of what you did with ipmitool to reset the credentials?

Reactions: Emulsifide

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Hey there, I also picked up 4 of these servers (QuantaGrid D52B-1U) from TAMS. So far they are great machines but I am running into the same issue getting into the IPMI / BMC management. Would you mind sharing the details of what you did with ipmitool to reset the credentials?

you can do the following

ipmitool user list 1
ipmitool user set password X (where x is the number next to the name of the user you want to set a password for)

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
So the last time I bought Quanta D51B-2Us they came with an older BIOS that didn't support V4 CPUs.

I tried updating with the packages on the official Quanta website and the update wouldn't go through. Looked everywhere for other packages and nothing worked. 4 months later I still have 3 unusable bricks sitting around.

My suggestion, stay away from less popular brands if you're not a business that can afford to pay someone else to figure out stuff for you. There's no community forums like Dell. Pay a bit more for stuff like Dell/SM to save yourself headaches.
FYI, I am using that server with V4 Cpus after installing the V4 package that is available on their web page. AFAIS, the biggest issue with Quanta servers is that their web page is confusing, management software needs improvement. They are not supermicro excellent but they are not bad. They also don't have PCI-I bifurcation.

But if you don't want them as if they are staying around , I can definitely buy one from you if you have the rails and trays:)

mikesm

Mar 3, 2013
Are the 25 Gbe SFP+ slots compatible with 10 Gbe SFP+ modules? I have a lot of 10 Gbe infrastructure, but not 25 Gbe.

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
Are the 25 Gbe SFP+ slots compatible with 10 Gbe SFP+ modules? I have a lot of 10 Gbe infrastructure, but not 25 Gbe.
Yes, I've been using my 10gb switch for uplink without any problems. And these take regular OCP nics so it'd be easy to swap to something else.

mikesm

Mar 3, 2013
So if I wanted to run a v4 in one of these, I would need to update the BIOS first, and that means I need a gold or silver CPU installed first to get it to the point where it would boot and be able to update the BIOS?

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
So if I wanted to run a v4 in one of these, I would need to update the BIOS first, and that means I need a gold or silver CPU installed first to get it to the point where it would boot and be able to update the BIOS?
These are skylake or cascadelake systems. v4 is lga2011-3, which is not compatible with scalable

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I dropped a 3204 in CPU0 in one of these and can't get it to boot. No video. Single stick of RAM from HCL in A0. And of course, can't get into IPMI to flash BIOS/need to reset credentials first.

If you have one, what CPU did you put in? What BIOS did the system ship with, and is an upgrade required to support a 3204?

Where can I find the secret decoder ring for the status lights on the board?

Last edited:

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
The boards need a bios update before you can install a second gen xeon scalable CPU.

Install a basic Linux OS, and reset the IPMI credentials with ipmiutil.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Yeah, that's what I suspected. Thanks!

I've ordered a Xeon 3104 -- sigh -- to get the system to boot, so I can reset IPMI credentials.

Last edited: