Quanta OCP Windmill v1 versus v2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
v1: QUANTA WINDMILL OPEN COMPUTE SYSTEM BOARD V1 WITH 10GbE ETHERNET HEATSINK | eBay
v2: QUANTA WINDMILL OPEN COMPUTE SYSTEM BOARD V2 WITH 10GbE ETHERNET HEATSINK

Does anyone know in what way the two versions of the Quanta Windmill board differ? Are there any major architectural differences? Does the CPU support differ? Are major differences in firmware between the boards?

Esiso currently has listings for both versions of the board on eBay. If it weren't for the $24 difference in price I wouldn't give the v1 boards a second thought but percentage-wise that's a sizable difference. I'm aware that the listings are for "naked" boards without rack chassis or PSUs. I'm planning to run the boards in a somewhat hackish way and using 110V PSUs I'm not too worried about the idea of buying them this way.

Thanks.

Spun Ducky

Sep 20, 2016
The v1 boards are lga 1366 while v2 are lga 2011 v1. If the v1 boards were much cheaper they might be worth a look.

crotaphiticus

Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys I’m new to the forum .
I’m pecularly interested in some dual dual cpu (e5v2) that can be powered on an easy way with Europe electricity type (iirc they do have 220volts like us in latam ).
I’m looking for something that is not insanely priced and that comes with cpus (ideally high end v2 as it’s one of the components I use most ).
I do rent serves from a company and their v1 cpu gets listed as quanta winter fell with dmi decode .
Is someone aware as of were I can find this type of setups ?
Supermicro is way too steep but it’s very steep for the budget I have .
How about ram ? Which would be the most they would be able to handle ?
If someone is interested in this things I’ve seen someone in this forum paste some taobao listings .
I’m double checking with a Chinese pal living in Spain .
I’ll let you guys know what he thinks about the ad (I’ll paste it here once I get feedback ).
As per forum rules I’m not sure if it’s ok to resurrect such an old thread .

Edit :recalled the seller of quanta windmill replied to me saying v2 does work .
Does this need a firmware update or something ?

Edit :
Seems like the biggest discussion about the topic is here
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/potential-deal-2-x-dual-2011-nodes-199-quanta-openrack.6856/
I’ll try to read all pages tomorrow .
Feel free to delete my post
Regards