Quanta LB8 - Any feedback from users who have this in a lab or prod maybe?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Considering the LB8 over the LB6M due to, well, the number of available ports. The original hot deal thread seems to have some people talking about them having different OSes, e.g. Cumulus or Quanta OS and some had experience with them not even booting.

I am going to assume that I will be receiving a working switch if I get one off ebay(otherwise I'll just do a SNAD return). So, looking for some feedback from users who have this in their lab or who were even brave enough to put it into production.
  • Feedback re: Cumulus, if it's better/worse, more troublesome than Quanta OS(Which I'm going to assume is just a Fastpath derivative?)
  • Power consumption, fan noise when both power supplies are plugged in?
  • Any bugs, issues?
  • Has anyone actually successfully gotten the web interface to work?
Thanks.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've been eye balling them that's for sure! I look forward to seeing what others experiences are.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have one that has cumulus and I cannot reset credentials on. But, I have not spent much time on it.

Kartoff

Feb 17, 2017
Considering the LB8 over the LB6M due to, well, the number of available ports. The original hot deal thread seems to have some people talking about them having different OSes, e.g. Cumulus or Quanta OS and some had experience with them not even booting.

I am going to assume that I will be receiving a working switch if I get one off ebay(otherwise I'll just do a SNAD return). So, looking for some feedback from users who have this in their lab or who were even brave enough to put it into production.
  • Feedback re: Cumulus, if it's better/worse, more troublesome than Quanta OS(Which I'm going to assume is just a Fastpath derivative?)
  • Power consumption, fan noise when both power supplies are plugged in?
  • Any bugs, issues?
  • Has anyone actually successfully gotten the web interface to work?
Thanks.
Before 2-3 months i had almost same questions as you... Finally i decided to get 2x LB6M and 2x LB8 to try them out... Now they are here and i use 2 of them with original OS they came with... Noise is acceptable accordind to my criteria... Still didnt try to swap OS myself... I gave LB6M and LB8 to my friend who think he might put some DELL software in them but who knows... Thay are ok for me evcn with original software...

Reactions: frogtech

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Before 2-3 months i had almost same questions as you... Finally i decided to get 2x LB6M and 2x LB8 to try them out... Now they are here and i use 2 of them with original OS they came with... Noise is acceptable accordind to my criteria... Still didnt try to swap OS myself... I gave LB6M and LB8 to my friend who think he might put some DELL software in them but who knows... Thay are ok for me evcn with original software...
What OS did the LB8 come with? And does it have a web ui? Its not really required but it would be cool if all of my devices had one.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

BlackMoonWolf

Aug 7, 2017
I myself am coming from a Cisco/Arista prod environment. I want 10G. I was looking into Arista DCS-7050S-64 for the sake of familiarity. But this is for my own home rack so the price was a bit high for that. LB6M and, just now, LB8 seem affordable.

However... I'm not sure how the OS works. I'm gathering that there is a possibility that a user may be impacted by NexusOS-like feature licensing, etc? (Annoying, to say the least.) And now I'm reading about potential workarounds here?

Could anyone summarize the nature of LB8 and whether or not it's using a feature licensing platform and what to expect to get this working on - at the least - an L2 Ethernet configuration? (L3 is desirable but I'm not in dire need for it.)

At the moment, I am leaning more toward the LB6M. I am watching a NIB LB6M on ebay right now. But I'm not sure if it comes with a software load. (Seeing as how Quanta has very little documentation...I can't be sure.)

If anyone can provide insight on what to expect here and the overall value of either one against the other, please let me know.

I know it's a lot to ask. But thanks in advance!

Foray

May 22, 2016
I have one, quanta os, easy enough to tweak but has limitations. Dynamic port-channels were an issue because it only allows 8 iirc.

I have moved up to the Arista 7050QX-32 switch, which has higher port density and less limitations for about the same ebay price.