Quanta LB8 48x10G - $375

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sorin

Apr 29, 2016
I paid $469.00 for mine. How bout $300.00 and we split shipping?
too much for a broken switch. I'll pay around 150 + shipping for a broken one. I have no idea if I can get it to work in the first place. it's just a hobby for me.

if anyone is willing to sell his broken switch for that we can talk

Last edited:

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
Remember you'll need something like a BDI2000/3000 with the MPC85XX firmware to debug the switch. I didn't have enough time to determine if it was simply a missing u-boot (and I needed to figure out the right settings for the programmer) or if the actual hardware was broken.

Last edited:

sadikhov

Jan 24, 2014
Mine just arrived today and same as with others here. Power LED on and no activity in Status LED.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I still have the Cumulus one, just no time to figure out the password so little help to this thread.

May 8, 2015
So I plugged mine back in today cause I had a bit of time. The management port is definitely making some noise. I'm having little trouble deciphering the output though as most of it is ipv6 and I'm a bit of a novice in that area. Saw some DNS queries. It's definitely trying to find things that existed on its original network (which appears to be an apple mobile development network...) What I'm confused about is why it wouldn't boot to the OS regardless of the network state...

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
I just purchased an LB8. I am able to get into it using Cisco usb to console cable. I have logged in as admin and enabled to get to the editing stage. I reset the switch to factory defaults (version 1.2.0.11). I had trouble setting an ip for the management port (serviceport ip) it kept telling me invalid ip address. I switched modes (serviceport protocol dhcp) to DHCP and was able to get it to pull an IP address. Here is the problem. In the LB8 user's guide it states there is a web interface. I try to access the switch using chrome or IE to the management port ip address (nothing else is connected). I get a message that the connection was refused. Does anyone know how to enable the web interface. The manual makes it look like it is just there and running.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just purchased an LB8. I am able to get into it using Cisco usb to console cable. I have logged in as admin and enabled to get to the editing stage. I reset the switch to factory defaults (version 1.2.0.11). I had trouble setting an ip for the management port (serviceport ip) it kept telling me invalid ip address. I switched modes (serviceport protocol dhcp) to DHCP and was able to get it to pull an IP address. Here is the problem. In the LB8 user's guide it states there is a web interface. I try to access the switch using chrome or IE to the management port ip address (nothing else is connected). I get a message that the connection was refused. Does anyone know how to enable the web interface. The manual makes it look like it is just there and running.
Just curious, you have Quanta OS on it right? Mine has Cumulus.

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
I connected our LB6M to our existing cisco using a 1Gbe and connected that to the LB8 using an HP DAC 1.5m cable. Just connected two of the quanta open compute boxes (mellenox mezzanine card) to the LB6M one using a generic "cisco" DAC from Fiberstore and the other using Finisar 10Gbe transceivers with a 3M 10Gbe armored 3m LC patch cable. Both connected right away to the network and pulled DHCP. The switches were reset to factory and have not been changed, yet. I am very impressed with how easy these are to use, although I wish I could figure out how to get a web gui on the LB8 (as described in the user manual).

After testing things I will move all our machines to 10Gbe on the Quanta's and connect them to 10Gbe ports on the Cisco.

Thanks everyone for all the good info on the various threads. It helps.

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
Network switches are working great. I am waiting for cables to migrate more machines. Now I need to plan for storage upgrades. I need to get the write speeds up. What do all of you use for network storage when you have 10Gbe or 40Gbe networks?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Network switches are working great. I am waiting for cables to migrate more machines. Now I need to plan for storage upgrades. I need to get the write speeds up. What do all of you use for network storage when you have 10Gbe or 40Gbe networks?
Still using Ceph for clustered storage and FreeNAS 9.10 w/ Chelsio T580-LP-CR NICs for a higher-speed backup box. But that 40GbE option is not really ideal if you are using 10GbE only switches.