Quanta LB8 48x10G - $375

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 8, 2015
I am actually amazed you got a manual, I called their switch support line directly and the guy said they don't have documentation for the Lb6M because it's an OEM customized piece of hardware and to call the OEM/seller of the switch. I asked about the LB8 and he said the same thing basically.
I thought someone on the forums posted the LB6M manual?

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
Received mine today but can't seem to get it to respond via management or console. Noticed that it seems to be missing a CF card but not sure if that is expected.

May 8, 2015
Received mine today but can't seem to get it to respond via management or console. Noticed that it seems to be missing a CF card but not sure if that is expected.

What Kind of console cable are you using and what settings? Below are the settings from the manual. Any LED activity on startup?

Set the console to use the following communication parameters for your terminal:
• The console port is set for the following configuration:
• Baud rate: 11,520
• Data width: 8 bits
• Parity: none
• Stop bits: 1
• Flow Control: none

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
I've tried both Cisco and HP console cables with the same settings you listed. Power LED is on steady and no activity on the status LED.

May 8, 2015
I've tried both Cisco and HP console cables with the same settings you listed. Power LED is on steady and no activity on the status LED.
Bummer... Mine will be here tomorrow so we should be able to compare the internals at least. Its not pulling an IP from your DHCP server is it?

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
I get link on the management interface but never see any kind of traffic from it. I've put loopbacks on the SFP+ ports but they appear to be shut.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Even without the CF-card it should boot to at least the U-boot or maybe ONIE bootloader. If it is getting stuck at the bootloader, the Quanta switches are often 9600 8N1 at that step. I've had one switch(I think it was a Dell) that had hardware flow control on which required a screwy cable setup(with two pins looped).

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I have the manual in my Google Drive. I also put some stuff about the LB8D in there. I'm not sure how much of the underlying architecture is similar. Be very careful if you try to apply the LB8D firmware to LB8. I'd bet they are not compatible.

Quanta

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
So I was able to boot, and log in. It says it is FastPath QOS version 1.2.0.14

Seems similar to my Lb6m so far. Can't find a GUI yet

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
So is it just me, or are there a LOT of commands we can't run on these switches that ARE in the manual?

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Package Manifest

The LB8 and the Pronto 3780 should be the same. Anyone know how to load this up?
I've done this before on an LB9A. Its pretty straightforward. First you might have to change the bootloader which is the most nerve wracking part of this. To boot Open Indigo you need U-boot.

The commands are pretty much the same as in this guide. You'll just have to use the LB8.dtb instead of the LB9A.dtb If the switch doesn't give you a boot menu which times out and boots the switch, you'll have to drop yourself to shell by interrupting the bootup and then booting to diagnostics. Hit Ctrl-D twice and that should drop you to the shell. From there you can continue with formatting and installing. Whatever you do, make sure you don't write to the onboard flash. You can also probably get this to run by formatting the CF-card with ext2 and installing the images directly, but I never attempted that.
Configuring a Pronto 3290 switch - Openflow - OMF Developer Portal

Anyway once you get openflow running you'll need to setup a controller and point the switch to that controller.

Reactions: T_Minus
May 8, 2015
So I was able to boot, and log in. It says it is FastPath QOS version 1.2.0.14

Seems similar to my Lb6m so far. Can't find a GUI yet
How did you access the switch? Mine just came. (Missing a rackear) but im not able to connect over the console. I did notice that my jmp plug was bridging the two prongs unlike the picture above...

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
How did you access the switch? Mine just came. (Missing a rackear) but im not able to connect over the console. I did notice that my jmp plug was bridging the two prongs unlike the picture above...
I was able to plug in and access it via console using a standard cisco cable and a USB-serial adapter. Using putty and windows 10.

May 8, 2015
I was able to plug in and access it via console using a standard cisco cable and a USB-serial adapter. Using putty and windows 10.
Using the settings from the manual? Does your switch have a CF card and what position is the jumper in on the inside of the switch?