Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

qamaro

Apr 9, 2016
I am working in getting ipv6, dos-control, http and all the rest working (including bgp, switch stacking).... have a little patience.

Thus far I managed to start https on a switch that did not have the option ( actually I have all available commands (including ipv6) ) but they need to be tested and I still need to do some more work. At the moment I still need to fix http's issue as it always returns 404 now.
Sounds promising Sorin!

Sorin

Apr 29, 2016
How are you managing this? Do you have the code from a different switch that you're trying to merge into this one?
Once we ( me and somebody else from the form whom will remain nameless for now ( as he owns a switch like this) ( I don't yet) ) have it all working I will post here the result.

What I can tell you is that I managed to start a https server on the switch using "ip http secure-server" command and that "dos-control" is also working, but we do have all the options available ( some of them: http, https, license, classofservice, dot1p-mapping, ip-precedence-mapping, auto-voip, cut-through, dot1q-tunnel, dos-control, dvlan-tunnel, environment, switchport, irdp, ipv6, llpf, logging, sflow, sntp, datacenter-bridging and priority-flow-control ) and most of them need testing but I want to have a full working thing before I post the solution

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Has anyone looked into what it would take to reverse the fans on an LB6M (for back-to-front airflow). Mine is mounted to in rear of my rack and as springtime temps come up its getting too hot ingesting the hot air in the rear area - fans spin up to 100% and its just too loud.

Toby

May 6, 2016
Has anyone looked into what it would take to reverse the fans on an LB6M (for back-to-front airflow). Mine is mounted to in rear of my rack and as springtime temps come up its getting too hot ingesting the hot air in the rear area - fans spin up to 100% and its just too loud.
Same thing happened to me. I also have mine in the rear, in between a fibre channel switch and my 48 port POE switch. Got home today and they were at 100%. Cooled it off with a box fan but I need something better than this.

Also, does anyone know what the LED's mean?
I have a green light under "P" but then under that green light is an amber light. It's blinking in an irregular pattern. Both power supplies are plugged in and have green lights in back.

Any idea what that LED is? Does anyone else have a blinking amber light there?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think the amber is an overtemp alarm. Only a guess but it seems to flash when fans spin up.

I guess I could open it up and physically reverse them...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Toby

May 6, 2016
I think the amber is an overtemp alarm. Only a guess but it seems to flash when fans spin up.

I guess I could open it up and physically reverse them...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Does your flash amber? Anyone else?

DonJon

Apr 9, 2016
Does your flash amber? Anyone else?
Yes, mine flashes amber too. The one just below Green light that is below P. It blinks consistently at every second interval right from powering up the switch. Did not care to check what that would be yet cause I'm still getting used to the switch. Just hooked the cables to my server and they all worked. Just slowly getting into the console to figure everything out. BTW if anyone knows if that amber light has different meaning with its blink pattern, let us know.

Toby

May 6, 2016
Yes, mine flashes amber too. The one just below Green light that is below P. It blinks consistently at every second interval right from powering up the switch. Did not care to check what that would be yet cause I'm still getting used to the switch. Just hooked the cables to my server and they all worked. Just slowly getting into the console to figure everything out. BTW if anyone knows if that amber light has different meaning with its blink pattern, let us know.
Thanks guys. I was just making sure, as I just purchased my switch and it seems to be working fine but if there was a problem I would want to send it back.

And actually, mine blinks consistently but it's not a regular pattern. Almost looks like some morse code.

maul0r

May 7, 2016
Quanta LB6M fan/silence modifications:

So go ahead and purchase three (3) of these bad boys: Amazon.com: Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm Silent Mini Fan (SY124020L): Computers & Accessories

For the power supply noise-makers, purchase two (2) of these types: Amazon.com: Scythe Mini KAZE 40mm Silent Case Fan (SY124010L):
I am curious - I tired modding it with some noctua 40mm fans. I felt that my switch got way to got - is it possible for you to read the temperature of it? My noctuas push about 5 CFM and I think that yours push even less?

DonJon

Apr 9, 2016

Toby

May 6, 2016
I am curious - I tired modding it with some noctua 40mm fans. I felt that my switch got way to got - is it possible for you to read the temperature of it? My noctuas push about 5 CFM and I think that yours push even less?
I just do a "show environment". It tells me my temperature.
Code:
(LB6M 10GB) #show env

Temp (Celsius)................................. 44
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 8120
Fan Duty Level................................. 55%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 55 degrees (Celsius)

Temperature Sensors:
Unit     Sensor  Description       Temp (Celsius)  State
----     ------  ----------------  --------------  --------------
1        1                         44              Normal

Fans:
Unit   Fan     Type        Speed      Duty level State
----   ------  ----------  --------   ---------- --------------
1      1       Fixed       8120              55% Operational
1      2       Fixed       8219              55% Operational
1      3       Fixed       8219              55% Operational

Power supplies:
Unit     Power supply  Type          State
----     ------------  ----------    --------------
1        1             Removable     Not powered
1        2             Removable     Operational

Reactions: qamaro and Sleyk

maul0r

May 7, 2016
I'm thinking these delta fans would be an ideal replacement.

Delta EFB0412HD 40 x 40 x 20mm with 8.54 CFM and 28.5 dba noise which is not bad at all compared to the ones in there. Or even the 40 x 15mm AFB0412HB with 9.46 CFM and 28.5 dba, which pushes a little more air.

For the power supply: Delta AFB0412MB 40 x 40 x 15mm, 8.12 CFM and 24.5 dba.

Specs:
afb0412lb Datasheet | DatasheetLib.com
http://partner.delta-corp.com/Products/FANUploads/Specification/EFB40x20mm.pdf
There really isnt a lot of space in the PSU - so I think you have to stick with 10mm fans there....

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
These switches really aren't that loud. Try something like a Voltaire 4036 for a few days and these things are relatively silent.
Be careful moving to quieter fans that move less air, keep a close eye on the temps. If you really want it quieter consider using larger external fans and reducers. Won't win any prizes for looks but will retain or even exceed the airflow of the standard blowers. Admittedly the psu's could prove a challenge.

While they may run at increased heat, how long will they continue to do so?

Reactions: PigLover

DonJon

Apr 9, 2016
I just do a "show environment".
Nice, thanks. Mine says
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)
Is that range configurable?

Also to anyone replacing fans, for the main fans use 4 pin pwm ones. I used the 3 pin ones and the status shows as failed (these are ones with 5500 rpms, may be they are fine with a higher rpm fans but don't have anything to test). 3 pin is what is needed for the power supply though.

Definitely this switch is not louder than 1U servers I have seen. But still loud for a home environment. May be I shouldn't care since its going into a closet in a room where my mother-in-law is going to stay. Her talks and this switch sounds the same. I can mute the switch but the other I can't. ;-)

Last edited:

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
With regard to the LB6Ms I have any my need to communicate between them:

I spoke with Fiberstore today about selecting 10G SFP+ optics and fiber to be used for communicating between two rooms in my office (> 20M). Their recommendation was for these optics:

Customized 10GBASE-SR SFP+ 850nm 300m DOM Transceiver (850nm, SR)

and these cables

40M LC UPC to LC UPC 10G 50/125 OM3 Duplex Multimode Armored Fiber Patch Cable - 3.0mm PVC Jacket | FS.COM (OM3, armored)

through these adapters

LC/UPC to LC/UPC OM3 Duplex SC Type With Flange Plastic Fiber Adapter | FS.COM

and this faceplate

4-Port Duplex LC Fiber Optic Wall Plate Outlet | FS.COM

As has been repeatedly reported here, FS has been very helpful - especially to an optical noob like me.

But, the couple questions I have are:

1. they say that their transceivers must be customized to work with my Quanta LB6M switch and with my various transceivers - is that right?:

* Intel x520-DA2
* Intel x710-DA4FH
* Chelsio CC2-N320E-SR (110-1088-30)
* Mellanox MNPA19-XTR

I thought that I read that some - but not all - optics may be tied to certain NICs but that other optics are usable on different NICs and switches. I would obviously prefer generic optics for these NICs and my LB6M if possible. Is it possible?

2. They say that the faceplate and adapters will work together but they don't appear to have the same geometry - would the adapters fit properly in the faceplate?

3. If I have computers in two different rooms, and each room has its own LB6M, could I run a couple cables between rooms and aggregate or combine the bandwidth of the couple cables to get higher throughput between rooms; i.e., does the LB6M support that?

thanks
Dave

aero

Apr 27, 2016
1. Many vendors do require specific vendor codes on the eeprom of transceivers. I don't believe any of your equipment does though. I would just tell them to make it cisco, so you can use them on a Cisco if you ever needed to since they vendor lock.

2. The adapters are correct, lc-lc. The wallplate won't work though, wrong dimensions.

3. I can't say definitively, having never used one. But if it doesn't it's a crap switch and belongs in the garbage.

Reactions: WeekendWarrior