Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well hell, I have a very embarrassing confession to make. Unbeknownst to me, there was a rogue patch cable running from the router to my bench switch that should not have been there. I made a foolish and wrong assumption about the 1G connection and now I'm eating crow. Sorry. :(

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Someone got LACP working? How I can create a port channel on thje lb6m?
On my LB4M its just in config mode port-channel and then the name but this command is on the lb6m wrong and not available with ?.
I was at 1.0.2.14 now I'm on 1.0.2.18 and on this it is the same.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I've followed this thread closely and others re 10G and seem ready to take the 10G plunge. I wonder if the LB6M is a reasonable way to do so.

The used price for these is very attractive but I can't tell if I'm jumping into deep water re complexity. I would want a 10G switch that was relatively easy to configure, worked reliably, and didn't draw too much idle power (what everyone wants, right?). I will have help getting it configured but don't want a huge project doing that. For idle power 100W is OK but 300W would seem unreasonable. I don't need exotic functionality or maximizing performance - I will only do fairly basic things like VLANs and possibly LACP.

After reading this thread and numerous others I'm leaning toward the LB6M but wonder if another switch may be better in the sub-$1k price point. If compatible used optics were available that would certainly influence the decision.

Is the LB6M a reasonable choice for these goals and is there a better choice?

Thanks in advance --
Dave

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The LB6M appears reliable and stable once configured.

If your use case is simple then it is indeed simple to configure. Vanilla layer 2 switching is 'out of the box' easy.

There is, however, limited documentation. Your a bit on your own.

VLAN works OK but config takes a bit to figure out. Not too complex.

Gets trickier if you want to do LAG or other trunking. Layer 3 features are a bit wild-west. Mixing multiple features into a complex config will be a tear your hair out experience (VLAN with LAG and layer 3 routing all mixed together).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: WeekendWarrior

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Well I couldn't even get LAG/LACP to work. I could get things put into LAG groups but Windows Server wouldn't pick up LACP at the switch level, so I just skipped that.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
I also dont get LACP working. I can't even create the lacp group on the switch. Frogtech which commands did you use and how have you created a lacp port-group?
@dave my LB6M takes here in EU (230V) idle arround 100 Watts. With 7 ports active and normal traffic its about 30-40 Watt more.

Sorin

Apr 29, 2016
if anywone is looking for the root user password: "lvl7dbg" (without the quotes), which is also the "drop to shell" diagnostics password

From what I can see it might only work via telnet (not ssh). so I think you would need telnet enabled for this to work.

Extra 1: LB6M seems to share the same CPU board as LB4M (at least in the firmware that's what's written) LVL7 DNI8541 CPU Card ( or LVL7 LB4M CPU Card in later versions)
Extra 2: web interface files seem to be in the firmware. just need to know how to start the web app
(maybe "ip http server 80", "ip http java", "ip http session maxsessions <int>", "ip http authentication local" )
Extra 3: seems the switch can do some BGP ( at lease it is compiled in the firmware ), but it seems that it's an option ( FASTPATH BGP-4 ), more options:FASTPATH QOS,FASTPATH Multicast,FASTPATH IPv6,FASTPATH IPv6 Management,FASTPATH Wireless,FASTPATH Stacking,FASTPATH Metro
so maybe Stacking can be also done. will need my switch to find out how

In 2 weeks I'll get my lb6m and think will have more by than

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
upload_2016-5-4_15-48-2.png

@Sorin ip http is not available on the lb6m (left). Left (lb4m) have this option. Both have latest routing firmware here available.

Sorin

Apr 29, 2016
@sthsep
license advanced <key>
where key is the license key. We would need to crack that. that's what you need to get them working. or just patch the 'switchdrvr' executable to think you have all the options

Sorin

Apr 29, 2016
In order to access the actual linux and play with the switch, boot the switch in debug mode (option 2 at boot options) and you will be presented with the following options:
Code:
FASTPATH Startup -- Utility Menu

1  - Start FASTPATH Application
2  - Load Code Update Package
3  - Load Configuration
4  - Select Serial Speed
5  - Retrieve Error Log
6  - Erase Current Configuration
7  - Erase Permanent Storage
8  - Select Boot Method
9  - Activate Backup Image
10  - Start Diagnostic Application
11  - Run Manufacturing Diagnostics
12  - Delete Manufacturing Diagnostics
13  - Reboot
choose D or d ( I know it's not on the menu ).

Now you can enable the linux telnet daemon ( 1 - Enable/Disable Telnet daemon ). If at any step you are presented with a password just enter the "lvl7dbg" password. The default telnet port is 2323 and I suggest you keep it.

You can now reboot the switch. It should boot into normal operation but you should be able to telnet on port 2323 and use root/lvl7dbg

Last edited:
Reactions: epers and TheBloke

aalexson

May 7, 2016
Great thread. I have my LB6M up and running with a Mikrotik router. VLANs so I can separate different networks for my VMWare hosts.

Quick question as I am unable to find it in a manual or this thread, how do I upgrade the firmware from 1.2.0.14 to 1.2.0.18. I have the 1.2.0.18.bin file. I have pushed my config to my TFTP server. I'm just not quite sure how to grab a bin and apply it. Also, I have seen comments about u-boot.bin, do I require installing both or simply 1.2.0.18?

Thanks!

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016
Great thread. I have my LB6M up and running with a Mikrotik router. VLANs so I can separate different networks for my VMWare hosts.

Quick question as I am unable to find it in a manual or this thread, how do I upgrade the firmware from 1.2.0.14 to 1.2.0.18. I have the 1.2.0.18.bin file. I have pushed my config to my TFTP server. I'm just not quite sure how to grab a bin and apply it. Also, I have seen comments about u-boot.bin, do I require installing both or simply 1.2.0.18?

Thanks!
Check here: Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

post 338 ish should get you going, I believe that is the same thing I did when I upgraded mine (also I am using mine to a CCR1036, UBNT EdgeSwitch, both with LAG & VLANs, great little setup. Also picked up a dual SFP+ PCIe card for the home server.

aalexson

May 7, 2016
redwing31, perfect! Thank you very much!

Quanta LB6M Firmeware upgrade process (image on TFTP server, switch has static IP address with working configuration):
show bootvar {to confirm the firmware you have)
I copied my most recent working version from active to backup
copy active backup
Transfer to image from TFTP server to backup
copy tftp://[IP address of TFTP server]/[file name]
confirm images are where they should be:
show bootvar
Boot system up with new firmware:
boot system backup
restart switch:
reload
Switch will go off line for roughly 100 seconds. After boot, confirm you booted the correct image:
show bootvar ("show run" also shows the firmware at the top of the confiration)

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Does anyone know of differences between the 1.2.0.14 & 1.2.0.18 firmware versions?

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016
Does anyone know of differences between the 1.2.0.14 & 1.2.0.18 firmware versions?
0.0.0.04 :). I have seen no difference, I believe 1.2.0.18 is simply the last firmware release before the hardware became EOL. Probably just some obscure bugfix of a feature 99% of us will never use. Pure speculation.