Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Lots of discussion of the switch going on in the deals thread and I thought it appropriate to start a real discussion thread about the switch.

It seems a lot of people are looking for firmware, and possibility to make it a Layer 3 switch.

Which firmware did yours come with?

Do you have a firmware download URL to share? If so, please share and explain which it is.

What about a manual? Do you have a PDF Manual to download/share?

"Getting Started with a LB6M" -- Anyone care to do a quick "I got it, and this is what I did to make it work and get it running"...

(These are just some ideas/thoughts I had reading other peoples questions/ideas/sharing that are mixed into other threads discussing this switch, but not created for this switch... I hope this thread can turn into a huge info dump on these!)

Share what you know and ask more questions :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Seems like the LB6M is just as mysterious as the LB4M. Same questions could apply to both. I will say this, the LB4m is an excellent switch and hopefully the LB6m is too.

Reactions: Quasduco

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My LB6M seems to have come with 1.2.0.14. No HTTP and limited Layer-3 (but I don't care). Very, very happy. While its still too loud to have in the living room, its a lot quieter than the Juniper EX that I sold last year.

Reactions: Chuntzu

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
What 10GBE sfp+, NIC card, and cable (Twinax or fiber optic) should I get for my windows 10 workstation and Windows 2012 servers?

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I got mine last night. Finally got a chance to fool with it today.

Mine came with Firmware version:
Quanta LB6M, 1.2.0.14, Linux 2.6.21.7

Just letting it sit there, it will boot up fine into Fastpath. The serial port is 9600 8N1 pinned with a normal Cisco cable worked for me.

The login is admin and the password is blank as well as the enable password.

My switch seems to have routing firmware, so I'll download it and try to make it available for others to play with. The prompt I get is "(FASTPATH Routing)" and the empty configuration has lines enabling RIP and OSPF.

The ports seem to default to "no shutdown" as I plugged in some devices and they just worked. I haven't had it balk at DACs or SFP+ transceivers, so I guess it doesn't care.

It doesn't seem to have a web interface. I plugged a cable into the MGMT port and saw the switch pull an IP from my DHCP server. I wasn't able to get a response from the switch for either HTTP or HTTPS. Also SSH doesn't seem to work, but telnet does. I haven't figured out how to get it to generate keys or whatever it is lacking for the SSH. I was also able to ping the switch.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The management port will respond to telnet. You have to enable SSH (and probably want to disable telnet...) which you can do from either the console or from a telnet session to the management port.

'IP SSH server enable'
'no IP telnet server enable'

I guess mine has the RIP and OSPF feature too. Hadn't noticed that before...but reallly I just want L2 VLANs.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
The management port will respond to telnet. You have to enable SSH (and probably want to disable telnet...) which you can do from either the console or from a telnet session to the management port.

'IP SSH server enable'
'no IP telnet server enable'

I guess mine has the RIP and OSPF feature too. Hadn't noticed that before...but reallly I just want L2 VLANs.
Oh man, I feel so dumb. I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out. You turn it on from the regular enable prompt and not from the global config prompt. SSH is now working.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
VLANs seem to be working in my image. I was able to get static VLANs set up by defining one by entering vlan mode from the enable prompt

Code:
(FASTPATH Routing) #vlan database

(FASTPATH Routing) (Vlan)#?

exit                     To exit from the mode.
help                     Display help for various special keys.
protocol                 Configure the Protocols associated with particular
                         Group Ids.
set                      Configure switch options and settings.
vlan                     Create a new VLAN or delete an existing VLAN.

(FASTPATH Routing) (Vlan)#vlan ?

<vlan-list>              Enter VLAN IDs in range <1-4093>. Use '-' to specify
                         a range, or ',' to separate VLAN IDs in a list.
                         Spaces and zeros are not permitted.
association              Configure associations to VLANs.
makestatic               Change the VLAN type from 'Dynamic' to 'Static'.
name                     Configure an optional VLAN Name.
routing                  Create routing on VLAN.

(FASTPATH Routing) (Vlan)#vlan 2

(FASTPATH Routing) (Vlan)#exit

(FASTPATH Routing) #conf

(FASTPATH Routing) (Config)#interface 0/3

(FASTPATH Routing) (Interface 0/3)#vlan ?

acceptframe              Configure how to handle tagged/untagged frames
                         received.
ingressfilter            Enable/Disable application of Ingress Filtering Rules.
participation            Configure how ports participate in a specific VLAN.
priority                 Configure the priority for untagged frames.
pvid                     Configure the VLAN ID for a specific port.
tagging                  Configure tagging for a specific VLAN port.

(FASTPATH Routing) (Interface 0/3)#vlan pvid 2

(FASTPATH Routing) (Interface 0/3)#exit

(FASTPATH Routing) (Config)#exit

(FASTPATH Routing) #show vlan

VLAN ID VLAN Name                        VLAN Type
------- -------------------------------- -------------------
1       default                           Default 
2       VLAN0002                          Static

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
After poking through various Quanta Docs, I think I have a manual that covers this switch. Most everything works on the LB6M as detailed in the QuantaMesh docs. I've made a shared folder with the firmware, docs and the U-Boot image for this switch.

Quanta

Additionally, I've been able to pull apart the firmware using normal tricks(binwalk). Surprisingly the firmware build comes up as both lb6m and lb4m.

Code:
Vital Product Data:-
         Operational Code Image File Name - Q-FastPath-Ent-esw-lb6m-lb4m-LR-CS-QHr1v2m0b14
         Rel 1, Ver 2, Maint Lev 0, Bld No 14
         Timestamp - Fri Nov  4 04:39:00 EDT 2011
         Number of components - 1
         Device 9471297
         L7_MODULE_LIST=linux-kernel-bde.ko linux-user-bde.ko
The whole thing is built on linux without any sort of obfuscation and has the necessary kernel modules easily available. I really think that Indigo/OpenFlow might be a serious possibility on this switch.

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Thanks for sharing the manual and the U-Boot Image!

How did you get this "Vital Product Data" -Info? (Couldn't find that @LB6M, thought @LB4M it's available from BootMenu.)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Awesome! Mine just arrived today, hope to get into it next week!

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Found these two images on my one (CLI: "show bootvar"):
v1.2.0.14 / Linux 2.6.21.7 (default: active, image2) - SHA1: 50d517781b49bcba691f0c02966be7174f0a3140
- network = DHCP, VLAN 1
- serviceport = DHCP
- Telnet enabled, SSH disabled, NO WebUI available
- all ports enabled (AdminMode=on)

v1.0.0.13 / Linux 2.6.21.7 (default: backup, image1) - SHA1: 561e434351679a7d2699d11695bf9ed421e24da8
- network = DHCP, VLAN 1
- serviceport = NONE (no ip configured!)
- Telnet enabled, SSH disabled, NO WebUI available
- all ports enabled (AdminMode=on)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Where can I buy one?
There's a thread in the "Great Deals" section here with the ebay purchase info. However, the seller doesn't have any listed at this moment they likely will add more, they aren't replying to offers though either.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for sharing the manual and the U-Boot Image!

How did you get this "Vital Product Data" -Info? (Couldn't find that @LB6M, thought @LB4M it's available from BootMenu.)
Funny thing is, the data is sitting in the filesystem as a regular file, but it doesn't seem to be available from the switch software.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
My pair came in today as well. However, looks like they are locked down. One has a yellow sticker that says FIRMWARE 1.0.0.13.

Anyone know how to default them? I tried the utility menu on bootup, but it just ignores my input and keeps booting until it asks for a user:

<EDIT>
Nevermind. (DUH)
admin, no password
enable, no password.

Reactions: T_Minus

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Received my LB6M today. Came with firmware 1.2.0.14. Not sure how to incorporate it with my 2 LB4M units.. Any suggestions?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
My pair came in today as well. However, looks like they are locked down. One has a yellow sticker that says FIRMWARE 1.0.0.13.

Anyone know how to default them? I tried the utility menu on bootup, but it just ignores my input and keeps booting until it asks for a user:

<EDIT>
Nevermind. (DUH)
admin, no password
enable, no password.
Glad you got it! Scared me there a second, haven't had time to boot mine and was hoping it was as painless as the 4036 :D to get into.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Both are booted, I can confirm that both came with 1.2.0.14. SFP+ passive Twinax working ok to each other, and to a netgear GS752TXS. Avago SFP+ working to XG2000 with a mess of XFP modules.

Cards sucessfully connected are the HP FLR, (Broadcom based), Dell Mezzanine (Intel), Intel XG520's. All good.

Reactions: T_Minus