Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
every port is on a VLAN (even the default one). on many switches if you do not have an alive port on that VLAN it will not activate the routing function because there is nothing to do until there are ports that are alive on that VLAN.

What we did a long time ago was to make sure that all vlans were trunked to a different switch to make sure that the VLAN was active for L3 to work properly.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuntzu and J Hart

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
OK -- this is embarrassing.... but how do I save the configuration file to flash so all the settings are there when I reboot?

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
This switch is the best. I finally got all my servers on 10gbe. Could someone please share a manual for this switch?

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Which is how loud? Did yours include rack ears?
The rack ears seem to be random. I would just ask the seller if you need them to include them. There are at least 2 styles, a recessed and a flush set.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The rack ears seem to be random. I would just ask the seller if you need them to include them. There are at least 2 styles, a recessed and a flush set.
The listing says they aren't included though, I would assume that to mean they don't have any for the LB6M. But I take it maybe you asked and they included some?

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
The one I bought didn't say anything about them, but they were still attached to the unit. I'm not sure why they explicitly say they don't include them now. FYI they are exactly the same as the LB4M rack ears if you are able to find those.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yeah I had read they used the same ears as the LB4M. I did a search for those on the 'bay the other day, didn't see anything, admittedly I didn't look too hard though beyond that. Right now my barrier to entry is nothing higher than 300 + s/h, with the recent price increase on these, I might not be jumping on board anytime soon. I don't understand why they don't just list the quantity they have available in a single auction instead of relisting.

At any rate I'm curious, do these operate just like GbE ports where you can set the IP and stuff without having to run any kind of special subnet managers or anything like that? And these support trunking to other switches right?

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Yeah I had read they used the same ears as the LB4M. I did a search for those on the 'bay the other day, didn't see anything, admittedly I didn't look too hard though beyond that. Right now my barrier to entry is nothing higher than 300 + s/h, with the recent price increase on these, I might not be jumping on board anytime soon. I don't understand why they don't just list the quantity they have available in a single auction instead of relisting.

At any rate I'm curious, do these operate just like GbE ports where you can set the IP and stuff without having to run any kind of special subnet managers or anything like that? And these support trunking to other switches right?
What do you mean just like GbE? They're ethernet. Just faster. Yup, sure do support trunking.

|DSI|

Jan 7, 2016
Ljubljana, Slovenia
I'm considering buying this switch, but I would like to know if it supports IPv6 routing? Would any LB6M owner be so kind and check that for me.
I also have LB4M with routing image and unfortunately that thing does not support IPv6 routing (only IPv4).
This is deal breaker for me as I have native IPv6 for almost decade now.

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Honestly I doubt that they have any ipv6 routing functionality, but I haven't verified that...any commands you wish to have checked?

Reactions: Benten93

|DSI|

Jan 7, 2016
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Probably simplest check would be whether there is command like ipv6 address, when your for example in configuration mode for interface 0/1 (or some other interface/vlan)
On LB4M there is only ipv6 traffic-filter
Thank you in advance

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Probably simplest check would be whether there is command like ipv6 address, when your for example in configuration mode for interface 0/1 (or some other interface/vlan)
On LB4M there is only ipv6 traffic-filter
Thank you in advance
Same. Only traffic-filter.

Reactions: |DSI|

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
Does anyone know how I can change (or even display) the IP address the switch pulls for management?

I tried "show ip" and it said command not found....