Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Looks like you got a newer Firmware v1.2.0.18. Can you please upload it somewhere?
You would have to start a TFT Server. Then you can transfer both firmwares of your switch using these commands:
Code:
copy active tftp://<ip-of-pc-running-tftp-server>/active
copy backup tftp://<ip-of-pc-running-tftp-server>/backup
EDIT: I'm not sure, but perhaps you'll need to issue "enable" beforehand - otherwise the CLI won't accept the copy commands.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Hart
May 8, 2015
Looks like you got a newer Firmware v1.2.0.18. Can you please upload it somewhere?
You would have to start a TFT Server. Then you can transfer both firmwares of your switch using these commands:
Code:
copy active tftp://<ip-of-pc-running-tftp-server>/active
copy backup tftp://<ip-of-pc-running-tftp-server>/backup
EDIT: I'm not sure, but perhaps you'll need to issue "enable" beforehand - otherwise the CLI won't accept the copy commands.

Here ya go: Quanta LB6M

Sorry for the delay. I had the switch completely taken apart when you asked for the firmware haha

Reactions: rnavarro and aj84

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
I was able to change the enable password, but how do I change the admin user password?

Update: Figured it out.

Type:

enable (enter, plus password if one is set)
configure (enter, plus password if one is set)
username admin password [desired password] (enter)

The above three commands set the new admin password to desired password [brackets just for this example]

Last edited:
May 8, 2015
Second question (and maybe this is a dumb one): seems like this switch is pretty identical to the Dell Powerconnect 8024F. Does anyone know if it would be possible to flash the dell firmware onto this switch?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Second question (and maybe this is a dumb one): seems like this switch is pretty identical to the Dell Powerconnect 8024F. Does anyone know if it would be possible to flash the dell firmware onto this switch?
Not dumb at all. The LB6M and Dell 8024F both started life as a Broadcom reference design around their merchant silicon. They might be close enough to run each other's firmware. Or not. Depends on how much tweaking Dell/Quanta/Others did to the basic reference design.

The real question is who will be the one willing to risk owning a brick in order to find out?

May 8, 2015
Not dumb at all. The LB6M and Dell 8024F both started life as a Broadcom reference design around their merchant silicon. They might be close enough to run each other's firmware. Or not. Depends on how much tweaking Dell/Quanta/Others did to the basic reference design.

The real question is who will be the one willing to risk owning a brick in order to find out?
Thinking I will prolly be the one reckless enough to try it. Doing a bit of research now and trying to outline the differences in the flashing process for the two switches.

May 8, 2015
Just an Update. Ive figured out how the flashing process works on these. The current error I'm getting is: STK file does not contain any images for this platform. Anyone have any thoughts on defeating this check? I'm guessing I need to go in over serial and access the boot menu and try flashing it that way instead of over SSH which is how I'm currently doing it. Im assuming if I do it from the boot menu instead of from within the existing firmware image I would be able to defeat this check. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? This is relatively new territory for me here so any advice would be appreciated.

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
@rockitlikeithott Do you have the Dell firmware?

I am a relative newbie at this switch as well, but I was able to download the firmware using a TFTP server.

You can look at the documentation for the LB4M switch for a lot of the same commands.

May 8, 2015
@rockitlikeithott Do you have the Dell firmware?

I am a relative newbie at this switch as well, but I was able to download the firmware using a TFTP server.

You can look at the documentation for the LB4M switch for a lot of the same commands.
I do have the Dell Firmware. It's readily available from Dell's site. I utilized a TFTP server to backup both existing images and attempt to flash the Dell image as well. When I attempted to flash over the new image I got the "STK file does not contain any images for this platform" error. What I'm assuming is by using a console cable, and booting directly into the boot loader I'll have lower level access and I'll be able to get the firmware onto the internal flash.

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
Does anyone know if this switch can do FIP snooping? What command could I try to check that?

May 8, 2015
Does anyone know if this switch can do FIP snooping? What command could I try to check that?
Fairly certain the switch does not do FIP snooping.
"show fip-snooping" is the command from the quanta mesh manual and that does not work
I tried quite a few other commands as well.

Edit: There's also no string in the firmware on my switch related to FIP, FCOE, Fibre Channel Over Ethernet, or anything else that might indicate that the switch supports it.

Last edited:

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I do have the Dell Firmware. It's readily available from Dell's site. I utilized a TFTP server to backup both existing images and attempt to flash the Dell image as well. When I attempted to flash over the new image I got the "STK file does not contain any images for this platform" error. What I'm assuming is by using a console cable, and booting directly into the boot loader I'll have lower level access and I'll be able to get the firmware onto the internal flash.
Hey there is a less dangerous method of doing this. This switch comes with U-Boot on it as a bootloader. You can boot an image over tftp with it without flashing anything.

May 8, 2015
Hey there is a less dangerous method of doing this. This switch comes with U-Boot on it as a bootloader. You can boot an image over tftp with it without flashing anything.
Thanks! I'll try that next. Theres no way to boot into uboot over ssh or telnet is there?

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Thanks! I'll try that next. Theres no way to boot into uboot over ssh or telnet is there?
Nope it will have to be over the console cable. Its a standard Cisco cable at 9600 8N1. No idea about flow control, I just leave mine turned off and it seems ok with that.

May 8, 2015
Nope it will have to be over the console cable. Its a standard Cisco cable at 9600 8N1. No idea about flow control, I just leave mine turned off and it seems ok with that.
Assumed so. Thanks. Mine will be here tomorrow so hopefully I'll have results then.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Dammit. that is EXACTLY why I didn't get the vlan routing running. Good call.

Ok I figured out intervlan routing. Here is an example setup for it.

Huge note, If you don't have any *active* port which is a member or participating in one of the vlans, you won't get routing to that vlan even if you have assigned an ip address to it. If you look at show ip route, you won't have a route to it. If you try to ping that address, you won't get a reply. The switch will drop the routes from the table if there aren't any physical ports which are members of the logical interface.