Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Marek J I dont quite understand what you want to achieve? Can you make a small picture/plan what you want or rephrase?
Now I understand that you want set your vlans at guest level because you have multiple vlans per VM. If that was the question you have to options. 1) Create a portgroup for each vlan and then just add that much virtual nics to your VM.
The second methode that I already mentioned before is that you create a "tagging" portgroup then you can set the vlan at nic level.

Offtopic: Also you mentioned that you use starwind right? Do you use Starwind Virtual San (Free?) and if so do you recommend it? Was looking quite often to setup a Starwind Testplattform but I have still not done it yet.

Dravor

Aug 17, 2015
Just got a LB6M recently off ebay and running great (cool and quiet) thanks to all the help from this thread. Found some good fans that are fairly quiet (not louder than your average 80mm or 120mm fan and way better than the stock whiny "jet engines") yet still offer more than ample cooling: Top Motor 40x28mm from coolerguys.com. (oh also, these are 4-pin PWM fans so you can still use show environment to keep an eye on fans/temps)

Here's my # show environment output after installing these (note: I have these configured for reverse air flow):

Temp (Celsius)................................. 37
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 4157
Fan Duty Level................................. 50%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)

Temperature Sensors:
Unit Sensor Description Temp (Celsius) State
---- ------ ---------------- -------------- --------------
1 1 37 Normal

Fans:
Unit Fan Type Speed Duty level State
---- ------ ---------- -------- ---------- --------------
1 1 Fixed 4157 50% Operational
1 2 Fixed 4275 50% Operational
1 3 Fixed 4103 50% Operational

Power supplies:
Unit Power supply Type State
---- ------------ ---------- --------------
1 1 Removable Operational
1 2 Removable Not powered​

For comparison sake, with the stock fans (normal, exhaust air flow) temp was, I believe, around 41C (with around 50% duty cycle).

As for the the ps fans, I soldered up some (removable) extension wires with inline resistors (can't remember exact values, derp) to bring the 12V down to about 5.3V-ish. So now those guys are quiet too. Enough to knock down the "whine"-factor but still move some air.

I've heard mention that this switch is supposedly a Broadcom reference design (BCM56820, perhaps). Anyone have a schematic? Probably unlikely. I'm only using a handful of ports and would like to modify the switch (if possible, but probably not) to reduce overall power consumption (i.e. physically turn off unused ports / driver ICs). Not sure if it's even possible just an idea/theory. Wouldn't be surprised if the massive BCM56820 ASIC is what's chewing up all the power (~128W with virtually no load).

So got the fans today, and replaced the stock one. Definitely quieter but it's hard to tell how much because of my SuperMicro 1u =)

Temps went from 40 degrees to 44, but I am using them in their stock position. Perhaps it's time to put the switch in the back of the rack and reverse the flow.

Dravor

Aug 17, 2015
Does anyone have the MIB's for the switch? Was going to add them to my LibreNMS install to monitor temperature for the switch.

Marek J

Nov 24, 2016
Hi sthsep,
The latest question isn't related to the VMWare in general.
It's related to the configuration simplification.
For example: I have port 1, 2, 3, 4 until 20.
All above physical ports keep same configuration for vlan.
Except writing same configuration to each port twenty of times, is there any option to prepare couple of lines with the vlan declaration and simply "link" that in the port config to each port please? Something like addport command...
The answer for the Starwind: no, I go for commercial, due I prepare the cluster as the production environment and potentially, I will add more members to the cluster in the near future...

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
There should be a port range command where you define the range and then simply apply one time the configuration. But I ont know now if it was available at the LB6 or the LB8 because on one device it was not available. Command should be something like this: interface range 0/1 - 0/20
To Starwind: You can even use the free version for commercial but I think the host number is limited anyways I was asking for experience if the programm is great ;)

Marek J

Nov 24, 2016
There should be a port range command where you define the range and then simply apply one time the configuration. But I ont know now if it was available at the LB6 or the LB8 because on one device it was not available. Command should be something like this: interface range 0/1 - 0/20
To Starwind: You can even use the free version for commercial but I think the host number is limited anyways I was asking for experience if the programm is great ;)
Hi,
I just start my journey with Starwind, and I don't know, but it looks like, I can save some space in my server cabinet, the the power consumption staying away of the hardware SAN solution. As far as I see, the commercial license isn't so cheap, but at least, I have some support, if something goes wrong.
That's why, I went for W16 DC, because I had not so much time to dig in Debian. I know, someone can complain about prices and about those Open Source things, but if you run lack of time, believe me, you have to stick to something with the support.
Returning to Quanta, it is such a kind of "accident" in my server cabs, and probably, I will stay away in some time. Let's see, what happens...
I can try to figure out about port grouping, because, I don't like to generate tons of code with recursion.

Cheers

Marek J

Nov 24, 2016
Hi,
Sorry for the stupid question, but in which cases do I need vlan pvid , if tagging works , then addport comand please?
Cheers,
Marek

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
As far as I know is the VLAN pvid the standard vlan. Which means if you have a tagging port and the other side have not set a vlan ID it will be in the vlan which was set at pvid. With add port you combine some ports to a trunk. All ports that are added to a trunk port dont need an additional configuration on each interface itself. You just configure the trunk port at 1/1 for example.

Marek J

Nov 24, 2016
As far as I know is the VLAN pvid the standard vlan. Which means if you have a tagging port and the other side have not set a vlan ID it will be in the vlan which was set at pvid. With add port you combine some ports to a trunk. All ports that are added to a trunk port dont need an additional configuration on each interface itself. You just configure the trunk port at 1/1 for example.
Hi sthsep,
That means, the addport may be the answer for the configuration of aggregation for ex. tagging, etc. In such a kind of scenario, I can try to set for ex. vlan tagging 10 on the port 1/1, then addport 1/1 to for example my particular ports 0/1 and 0/7. Then the configuration code is more clean, than repeating for example 20 of times the same code sequence. Why do I ask? Because, I am sure, I have been trying to addport 1/1 to my physical ports and gave tagging on 1/1 and no success.
I went through the manual and found ip javamode available, but it seems to be ip http isn't available for lb6m.
Do you think, is there any chance to force the http server to run on that switch please?
That will be brilliant :)
PS, Maybe any "unofficial" firmware exists somewhere ;)

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
For aggregation (2-n cables to the same device to transfer data over multiple cables [port-channel]) yes addport is the solution. For the same configuration for multiple devices I dont know. Even if it works It makes logical no sense for me and I would defently set the vlans at the interfaces.

Last edited:

Marek J

Nov 24, 2016
For aggregation (2-n cables to the same device to transfer data over multiple cables [port-channel]) yes addport is the solution. For the same configuration for multiple devices I dont know. Even if it works It makes logical no sense for me and I would defently set the vlans at the interfaces.
OK. I see your idea. vlan tagging works with IDs setup and vlan pvid works, if I take away IDs from the VSS in my vCENTER.
I run 4x10Gbit ports+4x1Gbit ports on my Poweredges. That means, plenty of fun :) . Quanta, I combine with Unifi solution which just always works :) In sucha a case Quanta looks like some homemade product against Unifi. I just dream about 10Gbits switches (or higher) with Unifi. Then the solution is just solid and full manageable from anywhere. Honestly, after Unifi implementation, I completely forgot about any issues, which I was facing with with some brands quite popular on the market...

Oxzhor

Jan 11, 2017
The Netherlands, Amsterdam
copy active tftp://<ip-of-pc-running-tftp-server>/active
copy backup tftp://<ip-of-pc-running-tftp-server>/backup
if you copy your active or backup to tftp server

or
copy tftp://192.168.255.111/newimage active
copy tftp://192.168.255.111/newimage backup
if you update your newimage from tftp server
Thx that works perfect for me ;)
I successfully flash to 1.2.0.18

Marek J

Nov 24, 2016
I looked there but find no information about it.
I think, it's like that with everything about that switch :) Don't be surprised. But hopefully, some gurus can help you within this thread. I just test couple of things on my hypervisors, and sometimes it works, sometimes not. I just try...

Kartoff

Feb 17, 2017
Finally got hands on 2x LB6M and 2x LB8... They arrived here yesterday... We will see what will hapen from now on...
Its little harder to config them than i expect :D
Also i put DAC bethween two switches and it work at 10gbe no problem, but also i try link with 2 SFP+ and it went down by itself...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cole

Oxzhor

Jan 11, 2017
The Netherlands, Amsterdam
Finally got hands on 2x LB6M and 2x LB8... They arrived here yesterday... We will see what will hapen from now on...
Its little harder to config them than i expect :D
Also i put DAC bethween two switches and it work at 10gbe no problem, but also i try link with 2 SFP+ and it went down by itself...
Which brand/type spf you use?

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Anyone can help with enabling
ip igmp on this switch for vsan?

I tried this but always fail

(FASTPATH Routing) (Config)#ip igmp snooping