Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I haven't. Hoped there were some internal persistent logs but that's probably too much to ask.
I've just moved house and I've only just managed to pull some fiber out to the garage where the lb6m lives. In the coming days as I manage (hopefully) to get my servers up I'll configure syslog on the lb6m and hopefully catch something if it happens again.
Guess I better move the syslog storage from the freenas box (via the lb6m) to local storage :)

spo81002

Jan 6, 2015
Texas
Can anyone confirm if the LB6M supports MLAG? Would LOVE to grab two of these and configure them appropriately to work with ESXi hosts.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
The beauty of MLAG is that it is for non-stacked switches. The functionality is of course stack-like in nature. I don't know if it's supported on the LB6M.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
Way more complex of a setup that I am running, I let VMware handle the A/P on the 10gbe links. I'm happy with the performance, especially for what I paid for these.

I've been using IBoIP to do this before, but it was such a PITA with drivers on the VMW side, 10Gbe just works, and is plenty fast enough for me.
I almost snagged this switch a year ago when it hit $500 but missed the deal, I just noticed the price Natex has, did your's come with rack mount ears? What firmware? How was the condition? How is Natex? Never bought from them before.

Thanks,
Levi

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
What firmware?
Whatever the latest is in this thread, I can't login at the moment to check, but it is listed earlier in this thread.

How was the condition?
Just fine, a little dusty, but worked, no dents, dings, etc.

How is Natex?
I also bought a bunch of c6220 nodes, had a high failure rate, but they were awesome and sent me new units next day.

did your's come with rack mount ears?
Yes, installed on the switch.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
Whatever the latest is in this thread, I can't login at the moment to check, but it is listed earlier in this thread.

Just fine, a little dusty, but worked, no dents, dings, etc.

I also bought a bunch of c6220 nodes, had a high failure rate, but they were awesome and sent me new units next day.

Yes, installed on the switch.
Sweet, I have been stuck on my lb4m for a while in my home lab. I've been wanting to move most of my infrastructure to 10Gbps for a while but have been lacking the ports. I have plenty of those cheap Mellanox x2 cards laying around. I went ahead and sent them an email because the picture and page doesn't mention rack ears but I'm going to order from them or ebay before this week is out.

iloGik

Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have now a Back To Front airflow running on the lb6m, just needed to reverse all the fan ( power supply too ). only tool needed a phillips head screwdriver.
My rack have a front to back cooling environment, doing this the switch is now "silent" and have the airflow needed to be healthy.

Before :

Temp (Celsius)................................. 47
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 8307
Fan Duty Level................................. 58%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)
Temperature Sensors:
Unit Sensor Description Temp (Celsius) State
---- ------ ---------------- -------------- --------------
1 1 47 Normal
Fans:
Unit Fan Type Speed Duty level State
---- ------ ---------- -------- ---------- --------------
1 1 Fixed 8307 58% Operational
1 2 Fixed 8424 58% Operational
1 3 Fixed 8359 58% Operational
Power supplies:
Unit Power supply Type State
---- ------------ ---------- --------------
1 1 Removable Operational
1 2 Removable Operational

After :

Temp (Celsius)................................. 30
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 7479
Fan Duty Level................................. 50%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)
Temperature Sensors:
Unit Sensor Description Temp (Celsius) State
---- ------ ---------------- -------------- --------------
1 1 30 Normal
Fans:
Unit Fan Type Speed Duty level State
---- ------ ---------- -------- ---------- --------------
1 1 Fixed 7479 50% Operational
1 2 Fixed 7541 50% Operational
1 3 Fixed 7637 50% Operational
Power supplies:
Unit Power supply Type State
---- ------------ ---------- --------------
1 1 Removable Operational
1 2 Removable Operational

OkiieDoe

Feb 5, 2015
i'm looking to get a 10gb switch but wanted to know if this combination would work connectx-3 354A-FCBT with mellanox mc2609130-003 passive QSFP to 4xSFP+ cable.

Travis

Oct 11, 2016
Has anyone noticed the DIMM Warning on bootup? "Warning: some of the installed DIMMs can not operate this slowly."

I just want to make sure my switch will be fully functional before I waste the time configuring it.

Travis

Oct 11, 2016
Well I believe I PM stands for Private Message but i don't see a spot for private messages on here.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Travis

Oct 11, 2016
Thanks a lot Sleyk, I have been on the forums for most the day trying to figure this out. This site is lucky to have a dedicated member like you! your post seem to be very informal and funny at the same time, makes hunting for the answer not so insufferable.

Edit/Reply: Yeah i think it just took some time to show up on my account. That's one of my flaws in life... No Patience! hahaha

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2016
Hi,
I am interested into this switch.
How many 10Gb SFP+ (plus) ports and Gigabit does it have ?
Are the transreceivers included ?
I whish to connect to a DELL TCK99 10Gb SFP+ networking card. Do you think I can do it ? What should I add ?

Thanks

Giuseppe Chillemi

andy

Oct 10, 2016
Canada
Hey I've looked through the thread but still not sure if 1 gbps sfp adapters work?

Somebody said it worked for them but looks like it was a hidden patch cable lol

Kaishi

Mar 7, 2011
I've been considering one of these switches for a few weeks. I really need a 10gbe network for iSCSI ASAP but I worry about the way firmware is handled on these models. I'm sure they're plenty fast and reliable, but I worry about their support status.

Honest feedback, is this a good starting point for 10gbe? What are some good dual-port low-profile cards to go with this via TwinAX cables?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I've been considering one of these switches for a few weeks. I really need a 10gbe network for iSCSI ASAP but I worry about the way firmware is handled on these models. I'm sure they're plenty fast and reliable, but I worry about their support status.

Honest feedback, is this a good starting point for 10gbe? What are some good dual-port low-profile cards to go with this via TwinAX cables?
Are you planning to use this in a work/enterprise setting or home lab? I would avoid it like the plague for anything critical since you won't have a support agreement with it. Of course if price is your primary motivation then just keep a spare around for replacement, and be prepared to live with any oddities you discover. The less fancy features you're going to use, the more acceptable it may be to have this switch in your environment, IMHO.