Quanta LB4M switch configuration

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kartikv

Jul 31, 2015
Hi,

I am trying to make this switch work like a switch, connected to a router. How do I do this? I simply need the text book definition of a switch working here. I have logged into the GUI but there are many many options which I don't understand.

I purchased this switch because I am a systems administrator and connect upto 20 computers (virtual) at home. While doing this my traditional netgear switch may be becoming a stopping factor. My configuration is pretty simple:

[isp modem/router combo] <-> [personal router for home network which get's a dhcp address from ISP and gives out dhcp and static] <-> [personal switch to serve about 20 physical and virtual machines]

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Reset the switch configurations to defaults and use it as a switch. You don't need to configure anything.

kartikv

Jul 31, 2015
I reset the configuration to factory defaults.
I have one linux computer properly configured connected to the switch, I cannot ping the router from it.
I can successfully ping the router and google's DNS server (8.8.8.8) from the "PING TEST" in the GUI.

Thanks for all your help.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I can't remember, does the LB4M default to having all ports shut down? You may need to re-enable all of them. That'd give the symptom that you're seeing.

kartikv

Jul 31, 2015
It certainly appears that all ports except the management port are down. There seems to be no indication in the GUI that this is indeed the case, it would also be very odd for this to be the default behavior. I am at a loss, please help.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
... it would also be very odd for this to be the default behavior. I am at a loss, please help.
I disagree. It is quite common for current generation TOR switches to be delivered with "all ports closed". The Gnodal's that some of us played with recently were delivered this way. It might be as simple as getting into the GUI and "activating" the ports (but unfortunately I can't help with the details).

It could also be configured as an OpenFlow Forwarding Box rather than the typical layer-2 switch. If that is the case you'd need to get a different firmware load to get what you want.

Apr 2, 2015
I recently got one of these. To enable all ports, and just use it as a switch, go in to the gui, System>Port>Configuration

Then select Admin mode for 'all' ports, then click submit.
Then go to System Utilities, and click 'save all applied changes', otherwise they won't stick after reboot.

Reactions: T_Minus
Apr 2, 2015
how did you initially gained acces to the gui? you probably didn't save the ip settings of the switch (static or dhcp)

kartikv

Jul 31, 2015
I am not sure what the issue was, maybe browser, I could successfully login to the GUI from a different computer. Not sure what the issue is.
On another note: I am trying to build a home network. When I add computers to my ISP provided modem+router combo, things become very slow and eventually I lose connectivity, the process of things becoming too slow takes about 24-36 hours.

I tried adding another small business type router and attaching it to a switch (a low end netgear) but the bliss again lasted for about 24 hours, lost connectivity after that. Could someone explain how to resolve this.

I am currently directly connected to the ISP's modem+router combo and it has been about 36 hours since I have been thus connected. Things are slowing down (the commands like df -kh return very slow, lag in typing and editing files using vi). I will now add my own SBE cisco router and connect it to the quanta switch and connect the systems to the Quanta switch. Let us see what happens.

I would very much like to resolve this issue. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Regards,

Kartik Vashishta

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
Hate to revive an old thread but I just absolutely cannot get to the Web Gui on this switch. Bought one off ebay, probably spent 8-10 hours just trying to get to the Web Gui and about to give up on this. Not an expect in this switches console langauge but here is what I can know.

I can connect to this using serial - RJ45 in the console port with Putty. using a windows 7 VM in esxi to do this.

I've been able to run all of the diagnostics from the diagnostic boot, everything Passes except for the outbound on the ports which I assume fails because I dont have anything connected to any of the ports other than console.

I have been able to assign a static IP to the serviceport but can never ping it from another pc connected in the same subnet. Can you access the Web Gui through the service port?

I've been able to assign static IP to port 0/2 the top left hand most port, I can ping it from my pc but I can not ping my pc from from the switch.

I have never been able to configure dhcp on any of the ports and actually pull an IP from my router (Pfsense). Just never shows up.

I know that you have to enable the ports as they come powered down with factory default. When i do plug cables into the ports they never seem to fully light up even though I use command "no shutdown" on them.

Ive attempted to at least follow the commands for this switch laid out in this link. everything seems to configure correctly /accept the commands, it just doesn't work.

A switch for datacenters: Quanta LB4M

I've been able to reset this switch back to factory default 1000 times. So I can easily following commands from there if i've just messed this configure file up.