Quanta LB4M multicast and broadcast

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
if you want to turn off "multicast awareness" (on a smart/managed/enterprise) switch, see if you can turn off IGMP snooping & IGMP querying. This will make multicast work in a "broadcast" mode. I wouldn't turn off all broadcast (not sure if it's possible on any switch) as ARP (for one) wouldn't work. Edit: In general I wouldn't turn these off as igmp snooping reduces traffic to ports on the switch.

Last edited:

Flegy99

Aug 18, 2018
Croatia
www.maxko-hosting.com
Thank you for your reply. It is already disabled.

In traffic, I see spam as on video but my IP is 45.95.168.50 so like he using my network to spam someone. Do you know what is that and can it be blocked using a switch?

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
Multicast is "non-routable" across the internet. Any ips 224.x to 239.x are "Multicast" addresses". Packets with these addresses as a source address should never be seen, however those IPS in a destination are for multicast.

Turning off IGMP querier & IGMP snooping is going to INCREASE your traffic as instead of multicast traffic going just to "subscribers" it gets treated as broadcast traffic.

It looks like 45.95.168.86 is the one sending to the 23-.x multicast address. What device has that IP? That will help you figure out the cause.

Flegy99

Aug 18, 2018
Croatia
www.maxko-hosting.com
45.95.168.86 is a CentOS 7 VPS device on the same network but different dedicated servers, have a way to block seen on video? Because other customers also see similar when VPS on the same network abuse.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
If each customer has their own subnet, put them on different vlans. Then, unless pim/RP are configured other customers won't see it. If customers have a single IP in a subnet in the same vlan shared with multiple customers, you probably want to do multicast filtering on the port. Be aware you don't want to filter all multicast as routers & ipv6 also use it (as well as other things that may be of interest to end hosts). Also be aware: Multicast filtering is generally done in switch CPU, so before implementing you may want to see if this is feasible. A more distributed approach may be to filter on the VPS itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flegy99