Quanta LB4M 48xGbE 2x SFP+ & 10Gb Optics $173USD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
silly question. can i plug my server sfp+ to the swith sfp+ uplink?

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
silly question. can i plug my server sfp+ to the swith sfp+ uplink?
Yes, the sfp+ allows a 10Gb ethernet connection. You just have to make sure that both tancievers are the same wavelength etc. Direct attach cables always seem to complicate compatability matters so I just stick with optical.

tiporaro

Jul 7, 2013
Edit: just realized there's a substantial thread on this, so nvmd on questions

Last edited:

mixtecinc

Feb 18, 2013
These look very interesting, couple of quick questions:

what type of optical cable arē needed for these switches?

Can I run an approx 60ft optical cable?

What 10gb network card can be used with switch?

Thanks

Justin

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
Probably a bit more but the Quanta LB4M is a beefier switch.
beefier as far as features? i'm looking at replacing my dell 2724 with something with a bit more features while not adding too much to the power load and these look like a good del, just concerned about the power load as the dell pulls around 40 watt. Also, do they ever get firmware updates? One thing I like about the HPs is they still receive updates, not a huge deal, but still nice.

Last edited:

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
The optical cable you use is determined by the transceivers that you buy. The most common (short range (SR) low power low cost) sfp+ transceivers are multimode 850nm with LC connectors on them. the fiber that you buy will also depend on the distance you need to go. If I am not mistaken, you can go 300 meters on relatively cheap OM2 fiber cables. you can go kilometers away with fancier transceivers.

As far as what Ethernet card you can use, well it's Ethernet, it's a standard. As long as you buy cards that are designed for standard networking you should be good. It's when you buy cards that were designed for edge use cases that I would worry about it. Also, when you use DAC cables you can get into trouble. Optical seems simpler. When using the switch pick a transceiver it's compatible with, and when using the NIC pick a transceiver that's compatible with it. Otherwise, I don't think you will have many issues.

Last edited: