Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Apr 2, 2015
Hey guys, can anyone enlighten me about something. I see some of these switches as "open source" on ebay, what does it mean, and is there any difference from a stock one? I only plan on using it as a simple switch, to connect a few servers to a linux router using the 10g uplink, so i'm not interested it its routing capabilities (if any).

MHammett

Aug 23, 2015
I just bought a few of these switches...should I use the CLI instead of the webgui? Are there any alternate firmwares?
Mine came with 1.0.2.17 and 1.1.0.8 loaded, with the newer one in the secondary bank. I e-mailed where I got it from to ask for newer firmware since that's what Quanta said to do. I switched to the 1.1 version. I gained SSH, but lost HTTP. Is that consistent with what others have seen? Is 1.1 better than 1.0 in any ways other than gaining SSH?

Reactions: Lance Joseph

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I'm playing with the LB4M's today. I cannot seem to figure out how to enable the web interface. Currently I only have telnet and ssh. I would really like to enable the web interface. Do anyone have any suggestions for that?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Under System -> Configuration -> Network Connectivity there's a Web Mode enable/disable but I have no idea how you'd change it via telnet or ssh. But the setting is there FWIW.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I feel stupid asking this, but is there anything I have to do to get two machines to talk together when connected to the SFP+ uplink ports? No matter what I seem to do, they refuse to talk. If I connect them directly, it works great.

EDIT:
Just tested another switch and it worked immediately. Guess its broken :(

EDIT:
It was a configuration error. I had set MTU to 9000 on both 10G ports, it should be 9216. :D

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There's also a HTTP Configuration section under Configuration with a HTTP Admin Mode and a Java Mode enable/disable. All are enabled on mine.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Why are these so cheap compared to others with similar specs? Is it because they're so abundant or do they lack something the other have?

rEd2k

Oct 16, 2015
I really need some help with my brand new Quanta LB4M that's on order.

I simply want to know if anyone can tell me the exact commands for doing a firmware upgrade and/or a firmware dump on this switch?

I see this HUGE manual and I kinda sorta understand most of what they say in order to upgrade but it's a little tough as I'm new to the Quanta.

I currently own an HP Procurve 2910al-24g and I was able to track down the commands to upgrade that one and using the cli wasn't really difficult and it was pretty straight forward, and they even had a web based interface that lets you upgrade from there as well. I imagine its very similar in nature to do the same thing on this switch, I'm just having a little trouble interpreting what they require in that enormous manual :S

Also does anyone know if this switch has a web based firmware upgrade menu? That would be great :)

If not, I can muddle through the cli interface and try to upgrade that way.

I'm also aware that if the upgrade process isn't done correctly, I can possibly brick my switch and I would really appreciate a proper/correct procedure to avoid that scenario ;)

I'm totally ok with upgrading to a newer version of the factory firmware or even some other firmware from a switch that was re-branded and has better firmware on it. I just want to make sure I'm running the latest firmware (hopefully with web based config still intact) and get any of the benefit/fixes that are included.

If anyone knows of or has the latest firmware for this unit and can post it here, I and everyone that owns these, would be so grateful! :)

I found this: Firmware Updating Procedures
and it could possibly be the process in which to upgrade the firmware despite it being for a different system, would this work?

Thank you all and anyone that can help, even a little!

Last edited:

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
That manual you've found is probably useless. 50% of the commands there wont work. A lot people have complained about the CLI, but I think its ok once you "understand" it. When it comes to firmware upgrades I have no idea. I couldn't find the web interface on either of mine. There is supposed to be a firmware version out there that support L3 routing, but I've not found anything specific about out.

For example this one: Quanta HP LB4M Switch with Dual Power 5 13 12 14 Routing Image Firmware | eBay
mention they have routing image firmware. Is it really a different firmware than on the other "cheaper" ones that are for sale?