Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ihyln

Jan 4, 2015
upload_2015-1-4_21-43-3.png

Go to host > configuration > networking > select the switch you want to modify > change MTU

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
View attachment 143

Go to host > configuration > networking > select the switch you want to modify > change MTU
Thanks.. Maybe you can help me understand the concept of VMKernel in VMWare.. My VM Host and SAN/NAS Server is connected to the LB4M switch via a 10G link using the Brocade 1020R 10G network card. I have setup ISCSI targets on my SAN Server to be used as VM datastores using the free version of the StarWind software. Below is a screenshot of how I have configure the virtual switch in VMWare. Do I need a VMKernel on Switch 1 since I have an ISCSI adapter configured to connect to the ISCSI datastore target which is used by the 2 VM Guests (GLOVER-GEN, GLOVER-GEN_2). Please advise.

Capture.PNG

Sascha

Jan 5, 2015
Hello,
i got 2 of these switches. I did something wrong with one and now i dont have any image to load besides the diag image. At least i can get to the Boot Menu, but "10 - Restore configuration to factory defaults" isnt giving me anything back so its not working.
11 - Activate Backup image gives me Backup image failed crc check. Failed to activate Backup image.

Any suggestions how i can get back to the normal image so i can configure the switch for use?

axemann

Jul 7, 2013
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to install valid CA and Server SSL certificates on their switch? I'm able to upload Base64-encoded (PEM) certs generated by my AD cert. authority, but after re-enabling SSL I get nothing (page cannot be displayed) when connecting via SSL. Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right when I do it... :D

Reactions: Fusion

Fusion

Jan 25, 2015
www.brewsandtunes.com
I just bought this switch, I was able to reset it back to factory defaults, however none of the ports are on.. I'm gone through the manual and get any info.. Also, it isn't pulling an IP, due to the ports not working.. Any ideas?

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I just bought this switch, I was able to reset it back to factory defaults, however none of the ports are on.. I'm gone through the manual and get any info.. Also, it isn't pulling an IP, due to the ports not working.. Any ideas?
Hey Fusion, have you enabled 'ADMIN' mode for the ports that you'd like turn on?

lundrog

Jan 23, 2015
Minnesota
vroger.com
Thanks.. Maybe you can help me understand the concept of VMKernel in VMWare.. My VM Host and SAN/NAS Server is connected to the LB4M switch via a 10G link using the Brocade 1020R 10G network card. I have setup ISCSI targets on my SAN Server to be used as VM datastores using the free version of the StarWind software. Below is a screenshot of how I have configure the virtual switch in VMWare. Do I need a VMKernel on Switch 1 since I have an ISCSI adapter configured to connect to the ISCSI datastore target which is used by the 2 VM Guests (GLOVER-GEN, GLOVER-GEN_2). Please advise.

View attachment 144
vSphere Networking
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/t...e-esxi-vcenter-server-55-networking-guide.pdf

VMware Virtual Networking Concepts http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

In my own words.

A VMware vSwitch is a virtual switch. For each vSwitch you must have dedicated NIC's.
A port group is a set of ports of like configuration.
a VMKernel is All non VM traffic. All kernel traffic NFS, ISCSi, Management, Fault Tolerance, vMotion, must be associated with a VMKernel port. Each of these would have a IP Address.
In Production you would assign each type of traffic with a dedicated VLAN, and map out all hosts and IP's on that vlan ahead of time, and if using 1GB assign more than one NIC's to each vSwitch and then create a vSwitch for each type of traffic. If your using 10GB/40GB, often management, and vMotion, are on one vSwitch, and storage traffic on another.
Often you would then setup a Third vSwitch for all VMware Production traffic, and a VM Network for all associated VLAN's. AKA File Servers VLAN 100. Database Servers VLAN 101.

Now, That's assuming your using ESXi free, and not a version that allows you to use VDS switches, as in that case things get more complicated. That is covered in the linked vSphere Networking PDF.

Reactions: nedimzukic2

Sascha

Jan 5, 2015
nvm sorted it out.
Fusion enter config mode with enable -> configure and then "no shutdown all" to enable all ports for use.
Then "exit" to get out of config mode and "write memory" to save the changes.

Last edited:

samba3350

Jan 29, 2015
Hi everyone,
my client with a gigabit nic is only working on 100mbit. Is there something to configure on the switch to let clients run on 1000mbit?

In the ports conf i only find on network mode max. 100mbit.

Best regards

csmz

Jan 28, 2015
Just make sure its actually not a management/console port. they only do 100mbit.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I don't have an LB4M to verify it with, but I've seen other gig switches before that will only run at 1000mbps when the port is configured for 'auto'.

Carko

Feb 15, 2015
I was talking about 1Gbit SFP (not SFP+) modules. It would be great if I could use one of those with 1 Gbit fiber uplinks (so I don't need an additional media converter)

_Adrian_

Jun 25, 2012
Leduc, AB
Here is another forum that talks about this switch being the same as the Sun Netra cp3140 switch.
Woven Brocade LB4 and CX4 Network cards for pfsense?.
I guess eventually someone did find that thread :p
I have a TRX100 ( AKA LB4 ) with the 4x CX4 ports that I will soon retire and move to 2x LB4M's

I'm running 2 HP Virtual Connect 1/10f in the C7000 and soon will be adding another top of the rack switch that will allow me to run the whole rack to switch back end on dual 10GB links.
Also I have 2 HP Virtual Connect 4GB SAN switches as well en-route for the SAN

And now for some eye candy ;)

In order of appearance from top to bottom:
HP C7000 Blade Enclosure
HP Proliamt ML370 G5 ( Dual 3.0GHz Quad Core - 64GB DDR2 )
HP MDS600 - currently about 30% populated - 38TB
By the way... the 2 Brocade Switches are coming out and being replaced by the Virtual Connect SAN switches as mentioned earlier, as well as the other 2 HP GbE2C switches are being retired as they were replaced with the Virtual Connect 1/10 which are now being replaced by the 1/10f
( Currently you can see the 2 Gore CX4 cables coming out of the modules going to my TRX100 )

2 BL680c G5s on the way as well
all 4 BL680's have the same configuration :
4x 2.4GHz Hexacore Xenon, 64GB DDR2, Qlogic QMH2462 Dual Port 4GB HBA in Mezzanine 1 ( Interconnect bays 3 and 4 ), HP NC532M 10GB in Mezzanine 2 ( Interconnect bays 5 and 6 - which i will eventually add the 10GB Ethernet switch )

the other 4 half height blades are XW460c which are workstation blades all 4 running Dual Quad Core Xenon's and 16GB DDR2 also they all have 2 nVidia Tesla Mezzanine cards. the top 4 will be BL490 blades that will allow me to play around with different virtualization environments.

spyrule

Ok, so I have to ask...
I'm contemplating this switch (purely for the cheap access to 2x10G ports and LACP support), I've found a set of these on Ebay for an LB4M with dual PSUs and 2x10G SFP+'s included for close to $140 US.
I'm ok with the extra power draw, and I think I can make it considerably quieter, so I'm ok with those two "main" issues,

however, I've read/seen several threads of people who have had nothing but major problems with these switches... are these diamonds in the rough, or fake diamonds ?

csmz

Jan 28, 2015
Ok, so I have to ask...
I'm contemplating this switch (purely for the cheap access to 2x10G ports and LACP support), I've found a set of these on Ebay for an LB4M with dual PSUs and 2x10G SFP+'s included for close to $140 US.
I'm ok with the extra power draw, and I think I can make it considerably quieter, so I'm ok with those two "main" issues,

however, I've read/seen several threads of people who have had nothing but major problems with these switches... are these diamonds in the rough, or fake diamonds ?
I think it may be that the switch is "rough" around the edges for users who are not familiar/adapt to its syntax or used to a "soho" switch.
It has its annoying shortcomings, like some items simply not existing in gui such as jumbo frame for trunks, so you really need to go and telnet into it if you want a good experience.
If that is no blocker for you, enjoy 800 pages of CLI documentation and a great switch for "no money".

lamune

Feb 28, 2015
hey guys, just found this thread/site and I was going to try and add some helpful info, but I think most stuff is covered.

I can't say for certain who else used these switches, but they were pretty commonly used in Microsoft datacenters a few years ago, and a large number have obviously been decommed and have hit the channels. (I thought the M in LB4M was for "Microsoft" - some of the pics on ebay still have the asset tags on them)

Anyway, since I worked on these in the past I can say I never saw one that was anything other than L2. I picked one up off ebay for less than $100 and it was clean inside and out. I measured about 60W idle power with nothing plugged in and about 58db at 1M with a cheap sound meter. Significantly noisier than the Dell switch I was using before, somewhat more power usage, but I get 10gb ports to play with.

Oh yeah I'm probably supposed to say that I work at Microsoft. Legal crap applies, etc. :)