Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Thanks for pointing this out. I thought I was nuts, but you're right - it takes at least 10-15 seconds for my network connections to get established.
Here's how I fixed that.
Login to your LB4M. System -> Switching -> Spanning Tree -> Switch Configuration/Status -> 'Disable' Spanning Tree Admin Mode
Note that this may have negative implications, depending upon your network layout. For my setup, there's only one switch so it's all good.
You may then wish to save your changes by going to System -> System -> System Utilities -> Save all applied changes.

That's it. I've tested this on three different machines - all are wired into the same switch and all were seeing the issue that you reported.
Thanks!
You should be able to configure the port as Edge, and it should come up as fast as you’re expecting. In the UI this is in System > Switching > Spanning-Tree > CST Port Configuration/Status > Admin Edge Port > Enable

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
So you are using the Finisair SFP+ receiver to connect 2 Quanta LB4M switches? Please confirm...
That is correct. They are darn cheap on eBay too.

Just to confirm they are 10GBASE-SR/SW 10G Ethernet and they can be paired with any other "10GBASE-SR/SW" transceiver and equipment that supports 10Gb ethernet.

Example: LB4M to "Mikrotik Routerboard CRS226-24G-2S+" 10Gb switch using a "Mikrotik S+85DLC03D" transceiver.

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
That is correct. They are darn cheap on eBay too.

Just to confirm they are 10GBASE-SR/SW 10G Ethernet and they can be paired with any other "10GBASE-SR/SW" transceiver and equipment that supports 10Gb ethernet.

Example: LB4M to "Mikrotik Routerboard CRS226-24G-2S+" 10Gb switch using a "Mikrotik S+85DLC03D" transceiver.
What is your reason for connecting the 2 switches via the 10G port versus using one of the 1G ports?

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
What is your reason for connecting the 2 switches via the 10G port versus using one of the 1G ports?
Main reason? Electrical isolation. My modem, router, cable tuners and access switch are on one circuit, my servers are on another circuit with an isolated ground. Best practice is to maintain electrical isolation on the expensive equipment. 5 servers right now, soon to be 6 when i finish building my vdi host with hardware video acceleration.

The other reason is that a single 1gb link just isn't enough and LACP adds latency. I run 4 pcoip zero clients, tv recording, file server, streaming server for chromecasts etc on the servers and with 2x 1gb links before i would see dropped pcoip packets under heavy use. A single 10gb link provides extremly low latency high capacity link while simplifing configuration.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Main reason? Electrical isolation. My modem, router, cable tuners and access switch are on one circuit, my servers are on another circuit with an isolated ground. Best practice is to maintain electrical isolation on the expensive equipment. 5 servers right now, soon to be 6 when i finish building my vdi host with hardware video acceleration.

The other reason is that a single 1gb link just isn't enough and LACP adds latency. I run 4 pcoip zero clients, tv recording, file server, streaming server for chromecasts etc on the servers and with 2x 1gb links before i would see dropped pcoip packets under heavy use. A single 10gb link provides extremly low latency high capacity link while simplifing configuration.
So what is the difference between stacking 2 switches versus using a 1 or 10G port to link the 2 switches together? So, you don't recommend creating dynamic LAG (LACP) between the 2 switches even if it is a 8 port LAG? By the way, I have not figured out how to create a dynamic LAG between 2 LB4M using the web GUI. Can you provide the detail instructions on the configuration required on Switch A and B.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
So what is the difference between stacking 2 switches versus using a 1 or 10G port to link the 2 switches together? So, you don't recommend creating dynamic LAG (LACP) between the 2 switches even if it is a 8 port LAG? By the way, I have not figured out how to create a dynamic LAG between 2 LB4M using the web GUI. Can you provide the detail instructions on the configuration required on Switch A and B.
First things first, stacking:
Stacking switches is defined as "managing multiple switches through a single interface" as well as "central mac address forwarding database". This generally is achieved by using special interfaces referred to as "stacking ports". Once you configure the stacking interfaces you configure the entire stack through one interface. Think of it as a DIY chassis switch. You have a "master switch" that contains the mac address database and the configurations, then you have "slave switches" that only handle physical switching.

Lets make it clear, the LB4M IS NOT CAPABLE OF STACKING.

That being said, the LB4M can use LACP between switches. Each switch will maintain it's own configuration and mac address table in this configuration. LACP is enabled by default in the configuration, but you still need to create a "port channel" as it's referred to by the configuration.

System>Switching>Port Channel>Configuration

Type in the name of the group, select the ports to be included and hit submit. Yes, it really is that easy. The LACP protocol takes care of the rest.

If you are using vlans you must have all the ports you desire to use configured identically.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
First things first, stacking:
Stacking switches is defined as "managing multiple switches through a single interface" as well as "central mac address forwarding database". This generally is achieved by using special interfaces referred to as "stacking ports". Once you configure the stacking interfaces you configure the entire stack through one interface. Think of it as a DIY chassis switch. You have a "master switch" that contains the mac address database and the configurations, then you have "slave switches" that only handle physical switching.

Lets make it clear, the LB4M IS NOT CAPABLE OF STACKING.

That being said, the LB4M can use LACP between switches. Each switch will maintain it's own configuration and mac address table in this configuration. LACP is enabled by default in the configuration, but you still need to create a "port channel" as it's referred to by the configuration.

System>Switching>Port Channel>Configuration

Type in the name of the group, select the ports to be included and hit submit. Yes, it really is that easy. The LACP protocol takes care of the rest.

If you are using vlans you must have all the ports you desire to use configured identically.
Do I have to create the LAG on both switches or just Switch A? If my LAG consist of 8 ports (ports 1-8), I assume I would need to physically connect 8 CAT 6 cables to port 1-8 on Switch B. Additionally how can I confirm that the dynamic LAG is working?

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Do I have to create the LAG on both switches or just Switch A? If my LAG consist of 8 ports (ports 1-8), I assume I would need to physically connect 8 CAT 6 cables to port 1-8 on Switch B. Additionally how can I confirm that the dynamic LAG is working?
the port channel needs to be created identically on both switches. You can confirm it is working by looking at the port channel status. You will also see traffic flowing across more than one link as you initiate multiple transfers from multiple devices.

Keep in mind that no single transfer will exceed 1Gb.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
the port channel needs to be created identically on both switches. You can confirm it is working by looking at the port channel status. You will also see traffic flowing across more than one link as you initiate multiple transfers from multiple devices.

Keep in mind that no single transfer will exceed 1Gb.
If the transfer is only 1Gb, so what is the purpose of creating a LAG with more than 1 port?

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
If the transfer is only 1Gb, so what is the purpose of creating a LAG with more than 1 port?
LAG is interessing only when you have multiple kind of traffic at the same time. By traffic, I mean different machines and different ports too. In that case, the aggregate traffic will go beyond 1Gb. It's because the algorithm used to distribute the traffic among the different links are based on IP source/destination and Port source/destination.
LAG is also interessing for redundancy. If one link fails, traffic will redirected to the other remaining links.

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
working without any issues running 2 sets of the Brocade sfp+ cables to 2 Brocade 10gb nics
That's good to know, I actually went ahead and ordered a transceiver for the network adapter and a fiber cable instead since it was less expensive than the twinaxial cables and allows for more flexibility. I just need to order the LB4M now.

ihyln

Jan 4, 2015
Hello, long time lurker first time poster.

Just got my LB4M off ebay with only 1PSU. I plugged it in and was literally blown away how loud this sucker was. Around 67-69dB with a rudimentary phone app taking measurements. As someone mentioned before the loudest component is the PSU. I was really disappointed that this thing is louder than a Dell R715! I got to it and removed the PSU cover which had seized up screws so I had to drill a few out and swapped in quieter Evercool fans from here Evercool EverCool 40mm Ball Bearing Case Fan FAN-EC4010M12CA - Micro Center

Now it reads 42-44dB! Perfectly comfortable and just a hair louder than my Dell R730. The temps are only a little bit warmer around 45c but so far it's working with the two Brocade 1020s. +

My only issue is after setting jumbo frames everywhere between the switch, vmware, and the NICs in windows I'm only able to sustain about 4.6-4.7Gbps using Lanbench between two VMs on seperate hosts. Netio depending on the packet size spikes up to 6.7Gpbs but the only thing I haven't messed with are C states for either hosts.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread!

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Hello, long time lurker first time poster.

Just got my LB4M off ebay with only 1PSU. I plugged it in and was literally blown away how loud this sucker was. Around 67-69dB with a rudimentary phone app taking measurements. As someone mentioned before the loudest component is the PSU. I was really disappointed that this thing is louder than a Dell R715! I got to it and removed the PSU cover which had seized up screws so I had to drill a few out and swapped in quieter Evercool fans from here Evercool EverCool 40mm Ball Bearing Case Fan FAN-EC4010M12CA - Micro Center

Now it reads 42-44dB! Perfectly comfortable and just a hair louder than my Dell R730. The temps are only a little bit warmer around 45c but so far it's working with the two Brocade 1020s. +

My only issue is after setting jumbo frames everywhere between the switch, vmware, and the NICs in windows I'm only able to sustain about 4.6-4.7Gbps using Lanbench between two VMs on seperate hosts. Netio depending on the packet size spikes up to 6.7Gpbs but the only thing I haven't messed with are C states for either hosts.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread!
Can you provide details on how you are setting up jumbo frames in VMWare. A screenshot would be great..