Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
You only need 3 pins connected. I blindly tried Antoine's wiring from the pic and it did not work. Must be using some other cable (rolled?) with it.

I'm going from a LB4M -> CAT5 -> RJ45 to DB9 adapter -> USB to Serial adapter... here's what I have connected:

RJ45 to DB9 adapter:
Black -> Pin 2
Yellow -> Pin 3
Red -> Pin 5

View attachment 90

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much... It's working now....

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Well.. Am in the interface using hyperterminal; however, the commands in the manual is not working. The only thing I want to do is set the switch back to DHCP so I can the Web interface.

Please help....

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Well.. Am in the interface using hyperterminal; however, the commands in the manual is not working. The only thing I want to do is set the switch back to DHCP so I can the Web interface.

Please help....
Finally were able to get into the Web Interface...

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
How did you pull the diag code from the Web GUI or the command line?
It can be copied by running in diagnostic mode (thus my problem). Diagnostic mode is only available through the serial console.

Honestly I'm not quite sure of the steps, but to get into diagnostic mode:

1. Connect to serial console (9600 baud, 8N1, no flow control)
2. Login
3. command: reload
4. On reboot you will see a prompt (2 second timeout) to select the boot image. Press `2` and `enter` quickly to load the boot menu.
5. Enter `13` (or maybe 12?) to enter diagnostic mode. This basically loads a different version of the operating system that has all sorts of goodies for modifying your switch.

Now here's where I'm not sure what to do as I was hasty in my attempts to get u-boot installed and corrupted my flash partitions (i think there are 4).

I would try:
`1` to access the file menu

*or *
^D (control-D) to access all the low level commands directly. There are commands like, copy, ls, etc. Not sure what the options for said commands are.

I need a copy of "diag_image.stk" and "boot.bin" if possible.

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
Quanta got back to me essentially saying I am SOL. They are saying the software is 3rd party. Which is total BS.

I'm working on figuring out the flash format. Also have a second switch now to recover the first with.

Jtag is also on the table.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I can now confirm that both a static and dynamic LAG (LACP) works between two of these switches. I tested with 8 ports. The only thing to note here is that the LAG name cannot contain spaces. If it does it will not prevail during reboot even if the configuration is saved.
Hi legen,

Can you provide instructions on how to create a static and dynamic LAG (LACP) between 2 Quanta LB4M switches using the WEB GUI. Screenshots would be great. Please be very detail in your instructions as I am a novice. Also how can you confirm that the link aggregation is actually working and what configuration on your computer/server you need to make to use the LAG that is configured on the switch?

Last edited:

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Hi legen,

Can you provide instructions on how to create a static and dynamic LAG (LACP) between 2 Quanta LB4M switches using the WEB GUI. Screenshots would be great. Please be very detail in your instructions as I am a novice. Also how can you confirm that the link aggregation is actually working and what configuration on your computer/server you need to make to use the LAG that is configured on the switch?
I suggest you do a little reading up on LAGs before you attempt it. When you have a good understanding about static and dynamic LAGs it should be quite straight forward to setup.

Basically if you input the same on both switches in Switching -> Port Channel the port channel should come online automatically. Some notes,
- Port channels will appear as virtual ports when configured (3/1, 3/2 etc).
- A port channel will be visible under VLAN configuration and STP
- Up to 8 ports in each LAG
- LACP or dynamic LAG auto-negotiates parameters, thus if you manually enter a dynamic LAG on both switches its the exact same thing as a static LAG.
- I do not know the impact of the different Load balance algorithms. I currently use the default one.
- STP will not be used for lag port participants. Instead STP will be used for the port channel (i.e 3/1) and not its members.
- A LAG name cannot contain spaces, will not work.
- A lag MTU can only be changed through the CLI.

more info on LAGs,
"There are two types of LAG groups. These are Static and Dynamic.
- A Static LAG-group is configured on both equipments. Theres no communication about the LAG between the equipments. If the port fail on one equipment the other equipment is not informed. Instead it has to detect that one link/port is down and switch communications to another port in the LAG.
- A Dynamic LAG needs configuration on only one of the two equipments. The other equipment only needs to be listening for LACP packages (often on by default). Dynamic LAG is called LACP since it exchanges LACP data units (LACPDU). Using these packages both equipments talk and establish how the LAG should be used/setup. They also exchange information i.e. if a port/link goes down. This helps detecting link failures since the equipment will notify its counterpart.

A LACP switch may be Active or Passive. In active mode it sends out LACP packages to any receivers. In Passive mode it waits for someone else to initiate the contact."

Reactions: ASG16_4

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
when enabling VxWorks 6.6 my web ui no longer works any ideas?
6.6 image does not actually support the hardware correctly. It "works", but I believe the reason the web interface does not work is because it is associated with the wrong (non-existent) port.

Code:
(switch-root) #show slot

Admin   Power          Configured Card                    Power
Slot  Status  State   State             Model ID              Pluggable Down
----- ------ ------- ------- -------------------------------- --------- -----
0     Full   Enable  Enable  BCM56514-48GIG-2TENGE               No      No
That's from 5.5.2. If you do that same command on 6.6, you'll get a different card. Thus the problem.

Burksdb

Oct 23, 2014
6.6 image does not actually support the hardware correctly. It "works", but I believe the reason the web interface does not work is because it is associated with the wrong (non-existent) port.
That would explain a bit. Thanks.

abulafia

Jun 17, 2014
Manhattan
THANK YOU
I just brought my Quanta back into use temporarily, and have been having ridiculous problems with getting to the web interface at times, which coupled with the fact that I was rSTP + LACP'ed to that edge-ish switch spot (formerly a Cisco SG-300-10P which had no problems talking with my Dell 5524 stack), I had to pull everything down to a single connection to the Quanta (which goes to my router) because of spanning problems...
I used to have 2x1GB from one Dell, the other 5524 had 100MB via UBNT Airwire and I was going to drop a CAT 6 line or two as well, but the upshot is/was, I could take the "primary" Powerconnect offline -the whole rack could power off, whatever- which sat between them and still have internet access for drivers, Spiceworks forums, Technet, etc. or equally important, remote in to *something* in my core, and both have been necessary at times.

I swear, I have "fix Quanta (access), fix STP" in CAPS at the top and bottom and a few places in the middle of my running to do text file, and also atop the center to do column on the whiteboard by my bed.
THANK YOU

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
NOTE: The Delta fans in the power supplies are 40x40x15 and although they use a 3-pin connector, the power supply fan headers do not appear to follow standard pinouts. I found this out this AM when I tried to replace the delta fans with couple of Gelid 40x40x10 fans I had on hand and got no airflow.

Normal 3-pin fan wiring is black(ground) / red (12V) / Yellow (sensor)

The fan 3-pin connector in the delta power supply is wired blue (sensor) / black (ground) / red (12V) so the header appears to be non standard.

Nothing that can't be remedied by pulling the pins from the header and rewiring, but I haven't got there yet !

The 3 rear fans on the tray do follow standard pinouts, so no worries there.
I purchased these DELTA 18.5 dba from Amazon to replace the power supply fans. The link is below. Just had to re-pin the fans to match the wiring of the original fan. You can use a small screwdriver to remove the pins. With the Noctua Low-Noise Adaptors and the new Delta fans, this unit is really quiet now.

Amazon.com: Cooling Fan-AFB0412LB-F00 40x40x15mm Case Fan, 3pin, RPM: 5000 RPM, Air Flow: 6.5 CFM, Noise Level: 18.5 dBA: Computers & Accessories

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
There are two flash images that you can boot. Mine came booting VxWorks 5.5.1 (version 1.0.2.14) by default. The other image is VxWorks 6.6 (version 1.1.0.8).

Try switching to the other image.
Thanks for your answer h0tw1r3.
However, I downgraded to switch from 1.1.0.8 to 1.0.2.17 and then to 1.0.2.14, but there is no command such as switchport mode ...
Am I missing something?

Btw, I have also contacted Quanta to request MIB files and they told me the same story.

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
Thanks for your answer h0tw1r3.
However, I downgraded to switch from 1.1.0.8 to 1.0.2.17 and then to 1.0.2.14, but there is no command such as switchport mode ...
Am I missing something?

Btw, I have also contacted Quanta to request MIB files and they told me the same story.
I dont think switchport mode is in VxWorks 5.5.2.

I created a two port lacp trunk on 5.5.2 (1.0.2.17) with dynamic vlan (GVRP) like so:

Code:
(switch-root) (config) # port-channel MYTRUNK
(switch-root) (config) # interface 0/47
(switch-root) (Interface 0/47) # addport 3/1
(switch-root) (Interface 0/47) # exit
(switch-root) (config) # interface 0/48
(switch-root) (Interface 0/48) # addport 3/1
(switch-root) (Interface 0/48) # exit
(switch-root) (config) # interface 3/1
(switch-root) (Interface 3/1) # set gvrp interfacemode
(switch-root) (Interface 3/1) # exit
(switch-root) (config) # exit
My (simplified) config:

Code:
(switch-root) # show running-config
!Current Configuration:
!
!System Description "FASTPATH Switching"
!System Software Version "1.0.2.17"
!System Up Time          "5 days 14 hrs 32 mins 47 secs"
!Additional Packages     FASTPATH QOS
!Current SNTP Synchronized Time: NOV 18 17:46:16 201 UTC
!
set prompt "switch-root"
set gvrp adminmode
network protocol none
serviceport protocol dhcp
vlan database
exit
no ip http java
ip ssh server enable
configure
snmp-server sysname "switch-10ge"
!
sntp client mode unicast
sntp server 10.1.1.11
ip name server 10.1.1.11
lineconfig
exit
spanning-tree configuration name "00-23-8B-00-10-78"
port-channel MYTRUNK
interface 0/47
addport 3/1
exit
interface 0/48
addport 3/1
exit
interface 0/47
lacp actor admin key 54
exit
interface 0/48
lacp actor admin key 54
exit
interface 3/1
set gvrp interfacemode
lacp collector max-delay 0
exit
exit
VLAN output. Connected to another switch which has GVRP enabled on the trunk ports also.

Code:
(switch-root) #show vlan

VLAN ID VLAN Name                        VLAN Type
------- -------------------------------- ---------
1       Default                           Default
2                                         Dynamic
3                                         Dynamic
4                                         Dynamic
5                                         Dynamic
6                                         Dynamic
7                                         Dynamic
8                                         Dynamic