Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is a great price on the LB4M! I have been using the Mikrotik 24-port and have been very happy but I do kinda wish I kept my Quanta.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
That is a good price indeed, I think I saw them there a week or so ago and was impressed.

Hey Patrick, do you know if quanta and blade (blade as in this baby IBM G8124E) that Chuckleb has a thread on are the same manufacturer or not? Seems different but for some reason I though that was a quanta switch as well. I'm probably losing it, time to go to sleep.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Got the 2 switches today. Both worked great, didn't come with transceivers :(. I contacted the seller to ask if they were supposed to come with them. They were pictured and the auction said "Actual product depicted in images. These refurbished units have been 100% tested and are fully functional. Some units may have minor cosmetic wear. Please see images."

Getting into the web configuration was easy. First I tried plugging a Ethernet cable from my existing switch to the management port, it didn't pull an IP. Plugged the Ethernet cable from my existing switch into port 1 and it pulled an ip! SUCCESS!

Web configuration was quick and easy, set up 4 vlans, included and excluded certain ports in about 20 mins total.

In the meantime I ordered some optics from another seller. I plan on using one as a switch in my server rack and the other as an access switch in the other rack. I practice safe switching, no copper connection between my access/internet switch and my server rack switch. The 10Gb bandwidth with a single link is going to be convenient, no more LACP 4x 1Gb SFP link between the 2.

As for noise, what are you guys talking about? These things are QUIET at idle! It's actually quieter than my 24xGbE 4xSFP 3com switchs. We'll see how much louder they get under a high load.

EDIT: Optics were supposed to come with the switches that I ordered from the seller I listed in Post #61. They are shipping the optics to me free of charge. Not bad for a $173 switch. Get em while they're hot!

Last edited:

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Hey... what about shipping one to Sweden? :)
Theres a seller in Germany that sells them, QSSC LB400GR 48 Port 10 100 1000 Mbit s Switch 19" 1U | eBay

Have bought 2 from that shop to our location in Sweden. Fast delivery (2-3 days).

Also i thought that i would share how to enable Jumbo Frames over a Port channel (LACP/LAG) on these.
Even when all LAG members have MTU9000 the port channel will still not route Jumbo frames. This can be verified in System -> Statistics-> port details page in the webgui. Selecting the port channel will show MTU 1500. Theres no way to change this from the webgui.

Instead use telnet or console access to set the MTU to 9000 of the port channel. Do i.e, Configure->interface 3/1->mtu 9018. Go to the same port details page and verify an MTU of 9000.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
Idle no network active
60.5db
60w
Are 60 W idle power consumption considered "normal" for such a switch (i.e. 48 Gigabit ports, 2 10 GbE SFP+ uplinks)?
I currently have an Avaya switch (48 ports GbE, 2 ports SFP+, PoE+(!)) that idles around 80 W and I thought that was ridiculously high.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are 60 W idle power consumption considered "normal" for such a switch (i.e. 48 Gigabit ports, 2 10 GbE SFP+ uplinks)?
I currently have an Avaya switch (48 ports GbE, 2 ports SFP+, PoE+(!)) that idles around 80 W and I thought that was ridiculously high.
With Poe that is normal to be higher.

For this class of switch not uncommon to have this type of power consumption.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
12 ports active & the SFP+ with an optical tranciever. 20Gbit total being transferred (maxing out the SFP+ interface). ~100W or so is what i'm seeing with both power supplies plugged in.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
I have checked the specifications of a few other (similiar) Gigabit switches:
Unfortunately I could only found idle power consumption values for the D-Link models. These do look pretty good, but probably lack a few features the other switches have.

What do you guys make of this?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
What do you guys make of this?
I don't understand the question. Your power consumption seems in-line with what I have seen with other switches of this class. The D-Link is something totally different as a L2+ non-PoE switch.

Just as another idea - I know where I work I might be able to get away with putting a Quanta switch in saying this is what Google uses. D-Link, Zyxel and even to some extent Netgear would get me reamed if it didn't work. The other reason you go with the big vendor switches is because you can get real support.

For a home lab, I would go cheap since support levels matter a lot less to me there.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
None of the switches I listed are PoE though, L2(+) vs. L3 is a valid point obviously.

The Cisco SG500X-48 (w/ twice as many SFP+ ports as the Quanta) is also not bad with 60W (max!) though, considering that's where the Quanta seems to idle (and (over?) 100W at (full?) load).

My point being that this particular switch doesn't seem too power-efficient to me.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My point being that this particular switch doesn't seem too power-efficient to me.
So take the $300 MikroTik CRS226. It can be powered over PoE (<15w), 2x SFP+ 10gig ports and is fanless.

Mikrotik CRS226 24g 2S in Cloud Router 10Gbps Layer 3 Switch 24XGBIT LAN 2XSFP | eBay

Plus, with the RouterOS license, has an awesome WebGUI and lots of features. Not all can be turned on for every port due to the relatively weak processor, but there are features available.

Of course, it is a completely different class of switch and only 24x 1GbE + 2x SFP+ but it does give some context.

You are right you have higher power consumption with that class of switch, but given the type of switch the power consumption is in-line with what I would expect.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
What is your anticipated port density? That also plays a big factor.
48 x GbE ports, 2 x SFP+ uplinks.
That's why I have only included switches with at least 48 ports in my previous post - 24 port models were listed with even lower power consumption, by some margin too.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
48 x GbE ports, 2 x SFP+ uplinks.
That's why I have only included switches with at least 48 ports in my previous post - 24 port models were listed with even lower power consumption, by some margin too.
I was running about 63w in a cool room. Closer to 80w in a warm room with my LB4M. Go fans

Dimonyga

Sep 22, 2014
Similarly.. I'd guess this stacking isn't far off
Switch A Configuration
enable
config
stack
stack-port 1/1/1 stack ! configures interface 1/1/1 as a stacking port
stack-port 1/1/2 stack ! configures interface 1/1/2 as a stacking port
exit
exit
reload
Switch B Configuration
enable
config
stack
stack-port 1/1/1 stack ! configures interface 1/1/1 as a stacking port
stack-port 1/1/2 stack ! configures interface 1/1/2 as a stacking port
exit
exit
reload
Hi Heychris!
i have 2 quanta lb4m switches, connected through 10G interfase, but my switch don't support stack command
System Description............................. FASTPATH Switching
Machine Type................................... LB4G 48x1G 2x10G
Machine Model.................................. LB4M
Serial Number.................................. QTFCPW9510258
FRU Number..................................... 1
Part Number.................................... BCM56514
Maintenance Level.............................. A
Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00
Burned In MAC Address.......................... 00:26:9E:1E:A5:0F
Software Version............................... 1.0.2.14
Operating System............................... VxWorks5.5.1
Network Processing Device...................... BCM56514_A0
Additional Packages............................ FASTPATH QOS

PepeMachete

Sep 25, 2014
Hi there,

Do you know how to enable OSPF in a LB4M switch,? I can't find anything related to layer 3 in the switch software.