Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
I have two of these and i havent found any info saying they are stackable. Im 99.9% sure they are not.
Hmmm, you should be able to configure LACP load balance on the Port-Channel configuration page. Thus combine 6x1Gbit ports to "one big" 6Gbit port. Your load balance mode then determines how the traffic is load balanced between the ports.

You can find it on page 743 in the manual :)

My problem is that i only have one of these (for now) so i cannot test it. They are indeed not stackable, but they can do link aggregation with LACP.

Heychris

Jul 9, 2014
Has anyone been able to replace vxWorks with U-boot? I noticed in the pica8 documentation it mentioned loading the diagnostic image and under the vibration test
Enter your choice: <=====Ctrl+D twice

This takes you to a place you can launch a shell, etc. I looked around without success

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Hmmm, you should be able to configure LACP load balance on the Port-Channel configuration page. Thus combine 6x1Gbit ports to "one big" 6Gbit port. Your load balance mode then determines how the traffic is load balanced between the ports.

You can find it on page 743 in the manual :)

My problem is that i only have one of these (for now) so i cannot test it. They are indeed not stackable, but they can do link aggregation with LACP.
Of course you can do it with ports on the same switch. He asked about doing it between two switches, which means they have to be stacked. Thus its not possible with these switches.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Of course you can do it with ports on the same switch. He asked about doing it between two switches, which means they have to be stacked. Thus its not possible with these switches.
Hmmm, i think we might be talking about two different things.

The scenario i was asking about was using LACP from switch 1 to switch 2. Not stacking them and using "some" ports on switch 1 and "some" ports on switch 2 to form a LAG-group. I know LACP cannot span multiple switches if the switches in question are not stackable :)

So basically i want to connect 6 ports on switch 1 to 6 ports on switch 2 using LACP. From what i have read this should be doable?
An example of what i want to do on page one in this HP switch pdf, http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/config_examples/2524_lacp.pdf.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Hmmm, i think we might be talking about two different things.

The scenario i was asking about was using LACP from switch 1 to switch 2. Not stacking them and using "some" ports on switch 1 and "some" ports on switch 2 to form a LAG-group. I know LACP cannot span multiple switches if the switches in question are not stackable :)

So basically i want to connect 6 ports on switch 1 to 6 ports on switch 2 using LACP. From what i have read this should be doable?
An example of what i want to do on page one in this HP switch pdf, http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/config_examples/2524_lacp.pdf.
Im not confused. Its not possible afaik.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Ok, can you point me to some resources explaining why its not possible?

In other words, can the LB4M LACP or static LAG only be used between a switch and a server with multiple NICs?

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
No offense but i think you are wrong, at least i can do it with a static lag group.

I just tried connecting my Quanta LB4M using a static LAG port group to a old netgear GS724-T v2 i had lying around and it works excellent.

In the netgear i went to the menu trunk and select 4 ports to be trunked. In the quanta i configure a static LAG group on 4 ports and then connect the two switches.
I can then plug any 3 cables without network the connection going down. When i plug a currently active cable i get one ping timeout before it switches to another port.

If i connect two random ports on the switches i get the expected packet storm.

I will try a dynamic LAG group later with LACP and see if that also works. A static LAG group is ok for me if it does not.

EDIT:
Dynamic LAG group aka LACP does not work. But the static LAG group does. Was this perhaps what you meant?
I will go with a 6-port static LAG group between two quanta switches when the second one arrive.

EDIT2:
I see the quanta sending out LACP packages, thus the quanta is active and not passive.
I think the old netgear switch can only do static-LAG so thats why its not working.
Still i see nothing limiting in the quanta that indicates that LACP should not work between two units. Since its actively sending LACP packages two switches should be able to communicate.
Code:
QuantaCo_6e:a6:4e  Slow-Protocols  LACP  124  Link Aggregation Control ProtocolVersion 1.  Actor Port = 20 Partner Port = 0

Last edited:

babo

Jul 14, 2014
This is a really useful thread chaps/chap-esses.

I'm looking at quad CX4 version of the LB4 for a couple of hundred bucks.

Does anybody have the flow control switched on and working? I'll likely need it as my workload is video steaming. The switch will be paired with a single port Myricom 10g card.

Also, it seems as though the management GUI is installed on all of these, providing you find out where it is assigned on the network/from DHCP. Is it really that easy to configure...

Cheerz.

babo

Jul 14, 2014
I already had a Myricom CX4 card and cabling kicking around so it seemed silly not to use it ;)

Not ordered the switch yet though. Any recommendations on SFP+ to use with this switch?

I'm experimenting at home for fun and don't really have a lot of brass to chuck at it :)

Last edited:

Heychris

Jul 9, 2014
fyi.. on the LACP issue. The OS is broadcom's fastpath, which is the same as HP moonshot uplink modules. I pulled a bit from some manuals I had . This shows a static LAG. dynamic is similar except .. port lacpmode instead of no port lacpmode
enable
config
interface 1/1/1,1/1/2
addport 0/3/1 ! adds interfaces 1/1/1 and 1/1/2 to a virtual interface 0/3/1
no port lacpmode ! don't send LACP PDUs on this interface
exit
interface 0/3/1
port-channel static ! this is the default, but best to set in case it got changed somewhere
exit
exit

Heychris

Jul 9, 2014
Similarly.. I'd guess this stacking isn't far off
Switch A Configuration
enable
config
stack
stack-port 1/1/1 stack ! configures interface 1/1/1 as a stacking port
stack-port 1/1/2 stack ! configures interface 1/1/2 as a stacking port
exit
exit
reload
Switch B Configuration
enable
config
stack
exit
exit
reload

Reactions: Patrick

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Similarly.. I'd guess this stacking isn't far off
Switch A Configuration
enable
config
stack
exit
exit
reload
Switch B Configuration
enable
config
stack
exit
exit
reload
Thanks for sharing. I will test both static and dynamic LAGs from the web GUI too on these when the second switch arrive :)

MACscr

May 4, 2011
So did that stacking actually work? I wonder if that would work on my LB4's and not just the LB4M's. They both are running the same OS as far as i can tell.

ProcurriLogan

Jul 24, 2014
[edited]Please read forum rules. We do not allow commercial posts without prior approval[/edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
I can now confirm that both a static and dynamic LAG (LACP) works between two of these switches. I tested with 8 ports. The only thing to note here is that the LAG name cannot contain spaces. If it does it will not prevail during reboot even if the configuration is saved.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
i need a workable quanta switch that is good condition and have 2x sfp+ port. Which listing should i get?