Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Speeedymauss

Sep 6, 2016
Hey,
i bought a LB4M on ebay and i want to configure the switch today but i cant login to the console. The switch has no ip so i cant use the webinterface. In the manual is written that the default login is "admin" with no passwort but it didnt work for me. Are there other default combinations or did i misunderstood something?

Speeedymauss

Sep 6, 2016
Update: i get the password now but i have another Problem:

I want so configure two vlans. One with all even ports and one with all uneven ports (because i want to use the switch for two diffrent networks). So i add vlan ID 2 and ID 3 but it is impossible so include the ports the way i want to. They are always in the default vlan 1 and i can not exclude a single port from the default vlan. Can somebody help?

Thecal714

Oct 29, 2015
Update: i get the password now but i have another Problem:

I want so configure two vlans. One with all even ports and one with all uneven ports (because i want to use the switch for two diffrent networks). So i add vlan ID 2 and ID 3 but it is impossible so include the ports the way i want to. They are always in the default vlan 1 and i can not exclude a single port from the default vlan. Can somebody help?
Assuming you've got the latest firmware, something like this:

Code:
# config
(config)# vlan database
(vlan)# vlan 3
(vlan)# vlan 2
(vlan)# exit
(config)# interface range 0/1 , 0/3 , 0/5 , 0/7 , 0/9 , 0/11 , 0/13 , 0/15 , 0/17 , 0/19 , 0/21 , 0/23 , 0/25 , 0/27 , 0/29 , 0/31 , 0/33 , 0/35 , 0/37 , 0/39 , 0/41 , 0/43 , 0/45 , 0/47
(interface-range)# vlan participation include 3
(interface-range)# vlan pvid 3
(interface-range)# spanning-tree edgeport
(interface-range)# vlan participation exclude 1
(interface-range)# exit
(config)# interface range 0/2 , 0/4 , 0/6 , 0/8 , 0/10 , 0/12 , 0/14 , 0/16 , 0/18 , 0/20 , 0/22 , 0/24 , 0/26 , 0/28 , 0/30 , 0/32 , 0/34 , 0/36 , 0/38 , 0/40 , 0/42 , 0/44 , 0/46 , 0/48
(interface-range)# vlan participation include 2
(interface-range)# vlan pvid 2
(interface-range)# spanning-tree edgeport
(interface-range)# vlan participation exclude 1
(interface-range)# exit
(config)# exit
# write mem

Speeedymauss

Sep 6, 2016
@Thecal714

i updated the switch to 1.1.0.8. But when i login to the console there is always written "(Switching)" bevor the #. What does that mean?

when i type "vlan database" in the config mode there appears a message "Incorrect input![...]"

I tried to activate dhcp that i can use the webinterface too but when i tried to configure the ip settings it always said that the command was wrong...

Thecal714

Oct 29, 2015
In this case, "Switching" is the hostname of the switch. This is enable prompt of the switch.

Try entering "vlan database" from the enable prompt instead of the configure prompt. That was how it worked on older versions.

You really don't want to use the web interface. It's hot garbage. You probably do want to assign the switch an IP address for SSH configuration an whatnot, though. What commands are you using to try to assign it an IP?

Speeedymauss

Sep 6, 2016
Ah okay

yes this works for me, too.

Is the web interface so bad? But of interest i would like to see the web interface. For the IP i tried to follow the quick start guide in the manual:
(Config)#interface vlan 1
(if-vlan 1)#ip address <ipaddr> <netmask>
(if-vlan 1)#exit
(Config)#ip default-gateway <gateway>

but already the first command doesn't work for me...

Thecal714

Oct 29, 2015
Yes. It's really that bad. I think that they removed it from that version of the firmware, however, as even they realized it was that bad.

Note that the Java applet at the top has errored out, even though I've allowed it to run. When it worked, it displayed which ports were active and at which speed. I don't believe that clicking on a port did anything, but I cannot be sure. The LB4M is an enterprise switch and is meant to be configured via the CLI, so that's what the developer focused on.

You said you were using VLAN 2 and VLAN 3, so you'll want to determine which VLAN your management interface will live on. In the below example, I'm using VLAN 2.

Code:
# network protocol none
# network parms <ip address> <netmask> <gateway>
# network mgmt_vlan 2
I'm guessing that the guide you have is for very different firmware (layer 3, perhaps?).

Speeedymauss

Sep 6, 2016
Okay, so i will use the CLI in future.

your code worked again. So i think the switch is ready to use now. Thank you a lot for helping!

I used the standard manual of the switch (second entry on google for me). But it seems to be better when you ask someone than reading the manual :D

Yankee

Sep 26, 2016
Hello,

I've been looking at switches for days and wouldn't you know, I overlooked the fact that the LB4M is a Gigabit switch. I've looked at Nortel, Extreme Networks, Allied Telesyn, SMC and I'm back to the LB4M. I've found the specs don't match the switch in most cases because some features require a special license to activate them.

I have one simple question, ok a couple or three. Does the LB4M have an internal DHCP server? Can it serve IP address for 2 or 3 VLANs configured within it?

I've read the command manual and everything I can find and can't find anything on special licensing. I did find the DHCPv6 Server but it wasn't clear if it'll run as an internal server or was specifying the address of a DHCP server. I also read that if the management port is using DHCP the switch can't provide DHCP to the network. I read in a review that the LB4M is missing Layer 3 features and commands that left me wondering if the DHCP server actually works in the LB4M. It said most Layer 3 and routing was disabled in the software because the hardware has the capabilities.

Since you guys are very knowledgeable on the subject (Top Google match every time) I thought I'd ask you what works and doesn't work. I have downloaded all of the updates and different firmwares for it and am familiar with flashing, basic networking (never managed a large network), and have ran Linux for near 15 years. I guess I have another question. With all of the used 48 port switches on Ebay why is everyone so interested in the LB4M in particular? I'm guessing it's because there isn't all of the licensing issues to deal with?

spyrule

Someone asked me to post a picture of my top panel fans. This is the Front fan, and at an angle behind this fan is the second fan near the back of the top panel (you cannot see it, because it is directly behind this fan, which should indicate the angle).

The front fan is placed between the heatsinks that exist within the chassis itself.

Attachments

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hi, i deployed a pair of these in my rack and would like to monitor their health.
Anyone knows how to access these values by snmp / what oid's they have ?

Code:
show environment

Temp (Celsius)................................. 36
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 6896
Fan Duty Level................................. 42%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)

Temperature Sensors:
Unit     Sensor  Description       Temp (Celsius)  State
----     ------  ----------------  --------------  --------------
1        1                         36              Normal

Fans:
Unit   Fan     Type        Speed      Duty level State
----   ------  ----------  --------   ---------- --------------
1     1       Removable   6896             42%  Operational
1     2       Removable   6809             42%  Operational
1     3       Removable   6792             42%  Operational

Power supplies:
Unit     Power supply  Type          State
----     ------------  ----------    --------------
1        1             Removable     Operational
1        2             Removable     Failed
--More-- or (q)uit

Port LEDs: Enabled
In Special im'im interested in the Temperature, as they are in the back of the rack and i didn't reverse the airflow ;)
But also the fan-health would be good to see in icinga.

Alex

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hi,
yes, i guess so. But couldn't find the OID`s of them ...

Anyone has them or even a complete list of the values accessible via snmp ?

Thanks,
Alex

charlie

Jan 27, 2016
Budapest, HU
Hm, thats strange. We have two of this LB4M, one of this providing environment details (fan speed, temp), other one no. I will check what is the difference beetwen two device.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
hm, weird.
i get those values via ssh on both of my switches, maybe diferent Firmware?

do you actually use snmp to read temps?
if so, would you mind to give an example how to read?

Alex