Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
yes it does the plug goes over pins just fine the left pin 5v and center pin ground
I wish there is any other alternative. I paid $220 for the whole server, paying $20 for one tiny cable is annoying :)

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I use cable that came with my satadomu it goes over pins and work fine I had installed hyper v
Thank you very much! I never thought such a small cable will fit there and power the SATADOM!

It looks like only one pin is touching to the power pins but it powers the satadom. I guess there is some grounding going on from the SATA port itself. I am not sure if this is kosher but hey it works. If I had more of those cables, I could alter them.

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
Well I had moved ground wire to 3rd position and I have solid connection I checked it with volt meter, I discovered that the server works fine with enginering sample v4 xeon windows shows 0000 for cpu 1.9 ghz 12 core

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am not sure if this was captured before but mine has 5 ethernet port. 2 10GB copper, 2 10GB SFP and 1 copper for management. I am happy to see all these options. This is definitely super server with so many connectivity options. SAS3 card, U2 headers, multiple 10GB options and all of this is for $220. What a deal! The only problem is that I have no use for them :)

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
Are the U.2 connectors on board look like mini sas connectors . DId anyone use u.2.connector I have couple u.2 8tb intel sas

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Are the U.2 connectors on board look like mini sas connectors . DId anyone use u.2.connector I have couple u.2 8tb intel sas
Yeah, two of them are labeled as PCIe and are meant to be hooked up to a compatible backplane for NVMe drives

Jun 22, 2015
For people who want to control fan speed manually here is the ipmi raw command:
ipmitool -I lanplus -H <ipmi ip address> -U admin -P <admin password> raw 0x30 0x39 0x01 0x0 0x0 0x16
Where the second to last number is the fan id. 0x0 is the first fan, 0x3 is the 4th fan etc. The last number is the duty cycle, with 0x64 the full speed.
Unlike supermicro servers, the constant fan speed will stick until power disconnect or bmc reset.
If you use this as a storage server and don't do compute intensive stuffs, it's good enough to quiet the server down.

BigShorino

Nov 9, 2020
Hi,

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but this seems to be the only place i can find with a community of Quanta owners. I have a couple of questions before i pull the trigger and buy one of these (D51B-2U). They seem such a good deal.

1. Where can i get BIOS updates from? I've been to Quanta's website but they don't show any BIOS updates available right now (link Download Center | QCT- Quanta Cloud Technology). The cached version on google do shown BIOS updates available, so i assume this is a recent change. I managed to find S2B_3B10.01 from hyperscalers website, but that's not new enough to support later version of ESXI.

2. Has anyone managed to get ESXI 7.0 U1 properly working on one of these. VMware report it's compatible, assuming BIOS is later than > S2B_3B10.05

TIA

Reactions: Bert

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@SPCRich Thanks so much for the reply and the BIOS. I reached out to Quanta and almost immediately got a reply. See below for the BIOS version they gave me. its S2B_3B22

How did you contact them? I sent two emails to their California supper email and never got a reply back, also filled out their contact forms online. You should ask why they took down all bios and firmware downloads

BigShorino

Nov 9, 2020
Simply through the contact form on their website and contacted the california office. i'm going to ask them that question, and i'll let you know

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Simply through the contact form on their website and contacted the california office. i'm going to ask them that question, and i'll let you know
LOL wth...they shadow ban me? lol I've tried 3 tries, using 2 different methods, and crickets from them lol. please let us know if you find out...it's very strange they took down BMC and BIOS, but left up like NIC firmware and expander Firmware.... makes no sense.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Seems like the sas expander is either, dual expander ("active / failover" or multipath), or active/active on the 2 ports / 8 lanes

Connecting one 4-lane port shows all drives
Connecting the other 4-lane port instead, shows all drives
Connecting both 4-lane ports, shows in the raid bios, all 8 lanes connected.

It's not clear to me if this is set up to use all 8 lanes / 2 ports for increased drive bandwidth. It would sure make sense to set it up that way -- would really reduce the oversubscription ratio when connecting 24 drives. I've never seen any sas2 expanders set up this way, but maybe things are different in the world of sas3?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Seems like the sas expander is either, dual expander ("active / failover" or multipath), or active/active on the 2 ports / 8 lanes

Connecting one 4-lane port shows all drives
Connecting the other 4-lane port instead, shows all drives
Connecting both 4-lane ports, shows in the raid bios, all 8 lanes connected.

It's not clear to me if this is set up to use all 8 lanes / 2 ports for increased drive bandwidth. It would sure make sense to set it up that way -- would really reduce the oversubscription ratio when connecting 24 drives. I've never seen any sas2 expanders set up this way, but maybe things are different in the world of sas3?
sorry, i'm not sure i understand... excuse me if i'm slow here... but what you described sounds exactly like the way it should work, even with SAS-2 expanders?

(SAS controller)<=(8-lanes)=>(expander)<=>(24x slots)

From the SAS controller side, as long as you connect even 1 out of the 8 lanes, you should see the expander, which sees all drives, hence you expect to see all drives. No?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
sorry, i'm not sure i understand... excuse me if i'm slow here... but what you described sounds exactly like the way it should work, even with SAS-2 expanders?

(SAS controller)<=(8-lanes)=>(expander)<=>(24x slots)

From the SAS controller side, as long as you connect even 1 out of the 8 lanes, you should see the expander, which sees all drives, hence you expect to see all drives. No?
maybe, I've never used a dual-expander model before.

I'm trying to work out, if connecting both ports / 8 lanes to 1 raid card, will provide more throughput, when the downstream drives are sata3, vs connecting one port / 4 lanes.

The server seems to have come connected that way.

Too bad there is no documentation for the sas expander.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Anyone knows where I can find cheap 10G SFP cards for this?
The chassis should come with the 10G SFP+ mezzanine. If not, ebay has cheap ones, and although I haven't tested it, the supermicro cards are usually around 30-40$ on ebay.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Last edited: