Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I did 2x 2620v3's also. At 20 bucks each they're an amazing bang for the buck.

iriscloud

SADTech
Jan 13, 2015
ID, USA
For the SAS3008, anyone know if it fits the current 9271 bracket that came with the server. Is it a simple swap and add back in? Looks like it might line up from the pictures

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
So far the server itself is good. I put 2x 2620-v3 together with 4x16GB into it. Updated the firmware of BMC, BIOS, Raid card, and expander to latest versions I could find.
Now it's time to dig disks out of my boxes while waiting for rails. ;)
How did you update the expander firmware?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I did 2x 2620v3's also. At 20 bucks each they're an amazing bang for the buck.
Is that the current best bang for the buck Haswell Xeon? Last year I picked up some E5-2603 v3 so I could test v3 systems boards... but the 2620v3 seems to be about the same price or less...

iriscloud

SADTech
Jan 13, 2015
ID, USA
It looks like a 3108 to me. You could tell from the data ports, they're SAS12/ Mini SAS HD/SFF-8643.
If it's a 9271, it will have another kind of data ports, which is SFF-8087.
So enjoy your fast SAS3108 card. If you still would like an HBA card, such as SAS3008, for better compatibility, you could definitely reuse the bracket.
Yeah P/N does show it's a SAS3108. Both servers i got have the same card so guess i got lucky indeed. I'm using the server for freenas build and it looks like you can run it in JBOD mode although SMART data might be an issue. If i run into issue i do have a pcie 3008 i might just throw in.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Yeah P/N does show it's a SAS3108. Both servers i got have the same card so guess i got lucky indeed. I'm using the server for freenas build and it looks like you can run it in JBOD mode although SMART data might be an issue. If i run into issue i do have a pcie 3008 i might just throw in.
With Windows 10 and using out-of-box driver, Crystal Disk Info can load most S.M.A.R.T. data, maybe all of it.
No matter the disk is a part of raid or in JBOD mode. I'm not familiar with FreeNAS but I think it might be able to load something...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
With Windows 10 and using out-of-box driver, Crystal Disk Info can load most S.M.A.R.T. data, maybe all of it.
No matter the disk is a part of raid or in JBOD mode. I'm not familiar with FreeNAS but I think it might be able to load something...
The problem with FreeNAS is some of their LSI drivers don't implement the ability to allow tools like smartmontools to access the SMART data. It's not a hardware problem at all (as evidenced by your observation), it's a FreeNAS software problem.

details shown here:

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
The problem with FreeNAS is some of their LSI drivers don't implement the ability to allow tools like smartmontools to access the SMART data. It's not a hardware problem at all (as evidenced by your observation), it's a FreeNAS software problem.

details shown here:
Wow, I didn't know that. I'm using Windows all the time because of my job.
So... what if we change personality into "JBOD Personality" for SAS3108? It's a little different with setting JBOD for individual disk.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Is that the current best bang for the buck Haswell Xeon? Last year I picked up some E5-2603 v3 so I could test v3 systems boards... but the 2620v3 seems to be about the same price or less...
I got my 2620v3 CPUs for free from a friend. Considering $20 per CPU on ebay, I think it's good bang enough already. Even some good patch cables can cost that much...

Reactions: Fritz

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
I just can not win...

Two sets of replacement rails showed up today. One set had the correct inner rails, the other set... Well I have no idea WTF they are supposed to be used on.

In picture, top two are correct, bottom two are wrong inners.

Attachments

iriscloud

SADTech
Jan 13, 2015
ID, USA
I just can not win...

Two sets of replacement rails showed up today. One set had the correct inner rails, the other set... Well I have no idea WTF they are supposed to be used on.

In picture, top two are correct, bottom two are wrong inners.
Same here. 4 rails (2 sets) that came with mine all wrong. Got replacements and 3 of the 4 rails good with 1 closer but still not correct. Got another response from the seller saying another set is coming.. meaning 2? I only need 1 and now have 5 (2.5 sets) rails sitting here with nothing to use them for. Maybe i can sell them for some extra RAM money. /shrug

I'd really like to get these racked.
unrelated.. my RAM is in limbo with USPS for the last two weeks 'In Transit to Next Facility' since 4/13 sigh.